Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 - apalling gridlock

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

25 minutes to get to work this morning, Friday mornings are fantastic. Evenings, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

I adore Fridays mornings. The one day I can get up at a reasonable hour. We deserve it after Wednesday morning:(:eek: Yea Friday evening always a nightmare but then I like a lot of people try to finish a bit earlier on Friday so we all add to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Drove the M7 roadworks last Sunday evening.

Most Sundays from 6-8pm this has been complete gridlock with people returning to Dublin.

Now with enforcement of the 60kmph limit the traffic was actually flowing. Felt a bit odd to be on a MW at that speed - but the consistent flow was a great change.

Fingers crossed that TII might take note, and accelerate variable speed limits for the M50 - with consistent enforcement.

A 60kmph limit at rush hour should (maybe counter-intuitive to some) actually result in shorter rush hour commutes.

I'd much prefer a constant 60km/h than the usual stop start ****e we have now.
    If only the N4/M4 could be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

blackwhite wrote: »
    Drove the M7 roadworks last Sunday evening.

It's a truly awful road at the moment - I felt quite claustrophobic driving on it a few weeks ago. Can't imagine what it'd be like driving on it twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I see a few people say Friday mornings are better. What's the reason behind this? Would have thought it would be the same as any other weekday but I guess not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    I see a few people say Friday mornings are better. What's the reason behind this? Would have thought it would be the same as any other weekday but I guess not?

Friday mornings tend to be quieter, but the afternoon is worse than normal.

I assume it's people working from home on Fridays, and others then leaving early to head down the country for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

TJ Mackie wrote: »

People working on a 4 day week will usually take Mondays or Fridays off.
    People taking a long weekend will usually take the Friday off.
    People going out after work on Friday will take the bus/train instead of driving.
    People going away for the weekend will try to get into work earlier so they can get away earlier.

I'm sure there are more reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Friday mornings and Thursday evenings are the quietest of each.

Tuesday mornings are the worst, mainly because of the amount of trucks on Tuesdays is far higher than any other day. It's basically 2 lanes of a rolling roadblock from the M1 interchange to Blanch, where about half leave and the majority of the rest on to the N7.

If only Irish Rail were interested in freight. Most of those trucks are going West on the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Friday mornings and Thursday evenings are the quietest of each.

Tuesday mornings are the worst, mainly because of the amount of trucks on Tuesdays is far higher than any other day. It's basically 2 lanes of a rolling roadblock from the M1 interchange to Blanch.

If only Irish Rail were interested in freight. Most of those trucks are going West on the M7.

I find wednesdays the worst though this morning was particularly **** so i avoided the M50 and took the east link which was equally as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I find wednesdays the worst though this morning was particularly **** so i avoided the M50 and took the east link which was equally as bad.

I found this morning grand TBH considering the weather. Moving all the way from the Interchange to Redcow, never stopped once. Best Tuesday of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I found this morning grand TBH considering the weather. Moving all the way from the Interchange to Redcow, never stopped once. Best Tuesday of the year so far.

Well thanks for telling me i made the wrong decision this morning :D

Breakdown at J7 southbound and then a crash just after J15 (one of the lads I work with incidentally) caused mayhem this morning. Usual rubbernecking on the far side caused delays as well going Northbound.

Not a great morning, and I had left early to try beat the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

There was a 1 hour+ tailback from Delgany on the N11 to J15 M50 Northbound due to clowns rubbernecking at an accident on the Southbound side. Absolutely unreal. Then a probably frustrated driver at Kilmacanogue causes another collision to add to the chaos. Luckily I opted for the mountains route. People get into work then late, stressed and exhausted.

Advertisement