Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shooting in the French Alps

• 06-09-2012 3:26pm

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but it's an extremely strange and shocking story;
    Three of the four victims of a shooting in the French Alps were shot in the head, a French prosecutor has said.

One man, named by news agencies as Saad al-Hilli from Surrey, and an elderly woman were found dead in a British-registered car. A French cyclist, found close to the scene, was also killed.

A British cyclist, an ex-RAF officer, discovered the scene near Lake Annecy.

A second woman was also killed. A girl, four, hid in the car for eight hours before being found by police.

BBC News

Four victims, three seemingly from the one family and one who happened to be a passing cyclist, with a girl in a medically induced coma, following what seems like a horribly ferocious attack and a young child, aged 4, found hours later hiding in the car, possibly under the bodies.

What happened on that road?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

its all speculation at this stage some papers saying it had the halmarks of a profesional hit....

i dont think even the police know what happened at this early stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Unreal. Reads like a horror movie plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I read this earlier. As one of the police at the scene said, it's like something out of a movie. I can't help but imagine things from the point of view of the cyclist. Riding along on your bike and then coming across the scene of the killing. The moment of terror as you realize what's happening and try to get away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but it's an extremely strange and shocking story;

BBC News

Four victims, three seemingly from the one family and one who happened to be a passing cyclist, with a girl in a medically induced coma, following what seems like a horribly ferocious attack and a young child, aged 4, found hours later hiding in the car, possibly under the bodies.

I just read the story. It's fcuking chilling and sinister. The man was an Iraqi with British and Swedish citizenship as far as I know.
    What happened indeed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

davet82 wrote: »
    its all speculation at this stage some papers saying it had the halmarks of a profesional hit....

i dont think even the police know what happened at this early stage

They've said they have absolutely no idea who done it and that they have no leads whatsoever.. Kind of struck me as odd that they'd state that, even if true. Surely it puts the killer at ease knowing that the Police are clueless about the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Read a few reports about this today, nightmare stuff.

Seems the parents and the grandmother were shot in the car, the eldest daughter tried to run away (?) and was shot three times, the youngest daughter hid under her Mum's legs and wasn't found for hours because the police were instructed not to touch the car until the forensics experts arrived.

As if all that wasn't bad enough .... what really chilled me was the bodies were discovered by a cyclist. He said he'd been overtaken earlier on an uphill by another cyclist ... who appears to have come across the actual murders and was shot himself.

:(

• Can you imagine being the cyclist that discovered the scene? First seeing the car with the engine still going, then this 8 year old girl badly injured, before discovering a cyclist that had overtaken you only a short while earlier was now dead, and then eventually finding the other three bodies.

Had the cyclist left earlier, or gone quicker, it could so easily have been him that would have been shot.

It seems the only hopes of solving this murder lies with the 8 year old girl currently in a medically induced coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems very professional tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

They've said they have absolutely no idea who done it and that they have no leads whatsoever.. Kind of struck me as odd that they'd state that, even if true. Surely it puts the killer at ease knowing that the Police are clueless about the whole thing.

Hopefully putting them at ease is the idea. It's so outlandish though that I take their statement at face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Very weird story indeed. Feel sorry for the little girl who was later found alive in the car. She is gonna need some serious counselling. :(

• Advertisement

Can you imagine being the cyclist that discovered the scene? First seeing the car with the engine still going, then this 8 year old girl badly injured, before discovering a cyclist that had overtaken you only a short while earlier was now dead, and then eventually finding the other three bodies.

Had the cyclist left earlier, or gone quicker, it could so easily have been him that would have been shot.

i'd be thinking 'thank jaysus i'm a slow bastard' :pac:

Very weird story indeed. Feel sorry for the little girl who was later found alive in the car. She is gonna need some serious counselling. :(
    And her sister who survived the attack - she was battered as well as shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He worked in the aeronautical industry and was born in Baghdad, and seems to have fled Iraq during the last few years of Saddams reign.

'Aeronautical' is often a code word for other things, so possibly a nuclear or weapons scientist?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Woah thats pretty crazy.. Sounds like the start to some hollywood movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

How terrified must that little girl have been throughout? She seems to have been hiding just out of view, under her mum's legs.

The whole thing is very odd, it does sound like a professional hit though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

'Aeronautical' is often a code word for other things, so possibly a nuclear or weapons scientist?

Massive jump in logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

He worked in sattelite communications and imagery according to the British news channels

WTF did they have to shoot that 8 year old girl FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I find it very coincidental that the first on scene was RAF. . .

WTF did they have to beat her and shoot her?....it sounds like a very professional hit up til this point unless of course they panicked when the second cyclist turned up ?....the french will know a lot more than they are saying they need to get an advantage over the killers and lulling them into a false sense of security to try and draw them out will help with investigation.....

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I find it very coincidental that the first on scene was RAF. . .

That is the operative word, a bit of a leap though, the french have been heaping praise on him for his actions...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

WTF did they have to shoot that 8 year old girl FFS.

I thought that she got bashed on the head, and not shot,? :confused:

There was no one in the passenger seat.
    Maybe that suggests the killer was with them? Or met with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Teangalad wrote: »
    That is the operative word, a bit of a leap though, the french have been heaping praise on him for his actions...
    Not saying he was involved in the shooting, just saying it's quite a coincidence he was in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Maybe that suggests the killer was with them?

Perhaps the girl was sitting in it before she ended up outside?

sorry to disappoint but i'm putting my money on random nutjob

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Maybe that suggests the killer was with them? Or met with them

Possibly the older child? If mum and gran were in back with the little one she would have to be in the front.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought that she got bashed on the head, and not shot,? :confused:
    Both. :(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps the girl was sitting in it before she ended up outside?

I know im doing a Columbo impression here but then that could suggest she got out and ran and then they killed her.
    **** sake.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Teangalad wrote: »
    WTF did they have to beat her and shoot her?....it sounds like a very professional hit up til this point unless of course they panicked when the second cyclist turned up ?....the french will know a lot more than they are saying they need to get an advantage over the killers and lulling them into a false sense of security to try and draw them out will help with investigation.....

She was possibly hit by the cyclist as she ran away

Advertisement