Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to Smallholding forum, Tell us a bit about yourself/Smallholding

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

Hello,
    Just joined boards, been reading alot of treads, super helpful.
    Hubby and I have been talking along time about having a small holding. I got John Seymours book on self sustainability and its really hammered home how much we want to do this for ourselves and our children, to pass on the life skills.

We are hoping to buy a few acres this year, 5 acres would be nice. An opportunity to buy 40 acres farm land and house might be possible, it's much bigger than what we had planned but location wise it's good. To make it work for us we are thinking it could be possible to plant majority of the land with native broadleave forestry using the grant scheme and the rest of the land for small holding.
    Hubby is interested in rare breed sheep and cows. To go organic would be great.

I have found it hard at times on Boards when there isnt a reply, dont take it personally. It caught my eye about John Seymour, that is how I got into it, I did short course at his school and got to know him a tiny bit, very inspirational person. We bought 14 acres, which for a townie was daunting, but dont regret it, too little restricts options.
    It is possible to buy big and sell on what you dont want, ok legal fees etc but then you are not overwhelmed. I know quite a few people who had 10 acres plus and in the end just didnt use it fully, its my current situation.
    best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

bozd wrote: »
    I have found it hard at times on Boards when there isnt a reply, dont take it personally. It caught my eye about John Seymour, that is how I got into it, I did short course at his school and got to know him a tiny bit, very inspirational person. We bought 14 acres, which for a townie was daunting, but dont regret it, too little restricts options.
    It is possible to buy big and sell on what you dont want, ok legal fees etc but then you are not overwhelmed. I know quite a few people who had 10 acres plus and in the end just didnt use it fully, its my current situation.
    best of luck in your search.
    You could rent some of the land that you are not using to a local farmer or set it for hay/silage until you are set up to utilise it all.
    Are you growing anything (veg/fruit) on it for your own use.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

Had it 20 years so tried many things and the easiest is to cut hay and sell it. People coming through the yard in tractors is never easy. I had rescue horses for years which I think is the best way but labourious. I have a polytunnel, softfruit area, willow plantation and trees planted, lost my orchard to farmers cattle when rented it out so wont be doing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Hi,

I'm taking over my fathers 50 acres, I know this seems large for a smallholding but I'm not a farmer and will not be running this as a regular farm.
    There is a house on the farm and it's the 10 or so acres around this that I will be doing something with.
    Looking for advice and recommendations on what to do with it, must be interesting and enjoyable as it will be weekend work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

n1st wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm taking over my fathers 50 acres, I know this seems large for a smallholding but I'm not a farmer and will not be running this as a regular farm.
    There is a house on the farm and it's the 10 or so acres around this that I will be doing something with.
    Looking for advice and recommendations on what to do with it, must be interesting and enjoyable as it will be weekend work

Depends on your experience and the type of land id say. I keep sheep and find them easy enough to do part time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Country lad

totally agree sheep is your best bet as you could buy store lambs as save the troubke of shearing and lambing ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Good luck with it n1st. Presume you are renting out the other 40ac? What did your father run on it - initially I'd run with what you've been used to before branching out. Drystock would be your best bet, sheep or cattle would depend on your fencing and facilities. What way is it in regards to fencing and facilities?

Depending on above you could buy in some young ewe lambs and run them through for fella's to use for breeding next year. Or you could get in some young calf that are weaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purecuntish

Hi All,

Have had our land rented(approx 14 acres) the last 5/6 years but hope to apply for a herd number in the coming months, have crush ordered to comply with regs. Land is of average quality and in 1 block around our house. Hoping to purchase 3/4 weaned calves to start out and try and adapt myself to farming. All our land has decent fencing and have a few small bits of machinery to get by for now. This is purely as a hobby, any money made would be a bonus, i work full time but currently from home. Would people agree with purchasing calves as a first time animal or recommend something different? Would love to hear peoples opinions and thoughts.

Thanks.

Advertisement