Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New District 8

• 10-09-2019 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

So what's the verdict on District 8 since it moved to Swords. Friend has both me tickets to an event on there so wondering what's it like- good venue? friendly crowd? transport to and from ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

Did you go? Im thinkign going to a gig on my own soon wonder what its like there?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

From the city any bus to swords will drop you off with in a 5 min walk from the venue,i like it,the place has a good vibe,few places attached to it also like hogs and heifers,tgi fridays and all that lark,but yeah give it a try most defo..worth it IMO,and jasis the effort put into the dj selection they are having there is next to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

What's security like since they moved to a new building? Does it still feel like your going through airport security?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was at Sasha & Digweed in District 8 on Saturday night and it was a belter. The new venue is good. The best thing about it is they don’t pack it. This was a sold out gig and there was loads of room on the floor and everywhere else, not much bar queues either. The sound was very loud though, we were mostly near the front but I’d bring earplugs next time and I never normally would, bass was a bit distorted at times but the lights were great. As good as it was I think I prefer Digweed’s sets on his own. He played this track which I’d heard before, some of ye might know it: https://youtu.be/B5NP4LNTKfU

Also heard this can’t remember which of them played it though: https://youtu.be/RNTGFLQfZAA

Crowd was nice, big mix of ages. I’d definitely recommend the venue and their booking loads of good stuff now. I’ve tickets for John Talabot in December and Laurent Garnier in January. I don’t remember there being much security, they didn’t search any us but were not young or dodgy looking, I never get searched which is just as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think the issue with security in the old venue was that they were part of the Tivoli and didn't really want to deal with the type of crowd who go to District 8 gigs. They preferred dealing with panto attendees and the like. Security at the new Bodytonic space are there purely for Bodytonic/District 8 stuff.

• Advertisement

Also we smoked a huge blunt in the smoking area and no eyebrows raised whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BewlayBrother

I was there recently and it was the full airport security vibe. They have a company called "Pulse" doing the security. It all seemed ludicrously over the top to me. It was an older crowd the night I was there too. Everyone was searched. There was a guy in front of me with a big back pack with loads of zips and pockets. Took ages to look in every one!

There are lots of security people with tables where you have to empty your pockets, wallets etc. so it moved pretty quickly.

I enjoyed the night/ music but in general didn't like the vibe of the place really. Feels like a club from the 80s that has seen better days. Hard to believe it's a new place.
    It was really over crowded, no space to dance, all lads, nowhere to sit/ hang out, smoking area is cold and wet with sh*t seating.
    Couldn't get near the cloakroom, then they closed it.
    At the end of the night I asked a barman for a glass of water and he refused saying I had to buy a small plastic bottle for €3.
    I was never in the Wright Venue but it has to have been nicer!
    Oh yeah the sound system broke down the night I was there.... these things can happen obviously, just killed the atmosphere for the few minutes with the dead air.
    The positives - great stage, good lights and the sound system is powerful although maybe a bit harsh for the space.

The crowd can vary a lot alright. Some of the younger trendier DJs like Mall Grab and Charlotte de Witte etc get younger messier crowds so security respond to that with more searches etc. I wouldn't have said security was over bearing at all. The lads even played until about half 3 with a little encore. It'll be interesting to see how John Talabot compares next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BewlayBrother

Suppose it depends what you're used to. I was in the old District 8 (admittedly only once and years ago) and security was nothing like it was out in Swords.

anyone going nye night? im in limerick i really want to go but not on my own lol

NYE at District 8 w/
    Robert Hood // Floorplan
    Or:la
    DJ Deece
    Cousn
    Squig
    Mulljoy
    Eve
    Ste Flynn

Entry Before 9:30pm Tickets / General Release Tickets:

http://bit.ly/2XRBcxB & Resident Advisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Security is VERY tight. Thorough searches through pockets , wallet etc.

I was at the Sasha & Digweed gig which was sold out but didnt feel too packed. However i was at the Jeff Mills , British Murder Boys gig and it was unbearably packed - couldnt move in there.

Getting good line ups in there to be fair.

I wonder was the digweed and sasha gig really sold out? It was saturday night I was at. Could be BS

Also I think the fact that its out in swords is no harm, means a more dedicated crowd who are there for the music, the people who just want to get pissed can stay in the city centre, why get nearly a half hour bus out to swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

anyone going nye night? im in limerick i really want to go but not on my own lol

Nothing wrong with going to a rave on your own, your basically dancing all night anyway. You'd be surprised how good it can be compared to being stuck close to your friends all night.

I go to glastonbury and after midnight im on my own as my friends dont know what electronic music is and are in some bar singing along to the killers or something. It's always great and although ive never done it solo in ireland I probably wouldn't hesistate. Im considering a solo festival in the uk next year.

i need to find some techno on nye lol

actually might go ameilia lens the 29th

Anyone going to any events in district 8 this year? or has been to recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

Anyone going to any events in district 8 this year? or has been to recently?

was at Amelie lens at Christmas. 1st time there. Great night and a good crowd.
    wouldn't hesitate going back. might go to Laurent garnier next week

aidz wrote: »
    was at Amelie lens at Christmas. 1st time there. Great night and a good crowd.
    wouldn't hesitate going back. might go to Laurent garnier next week

Me and the gf are going to Garnier. We were at John Talabot and Mano Le Tough a few weeks ago as well. It’s a decent venue but it’s a shame Dublin doesn’t have any really unique venues like printworks or warehouse project. There’s definitely a market for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

How do you all find the trip into town afterwards? Can't convince my buddies to make the trek. Any chance of picking up a local AP after events there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What's the crowd like at this?? Is it still very young??

Again, really want to check it out but none of my mates are into the club scene anymore. Most are pretty settled these days.

I think the crowd will vary depending on what you go to. Sasha & John Digweed was an older crowd, mostly late 20s to 40s. Laurent Garnier was more of a mix but defintely younger with most in their early 20s. Id say just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

GiftofGab wrote: »
    What's the crowd like at this?? Is it still very young??

Again, really want to check it out but none of my mates are into the club scene anymore. Most are pretty settled these days.

Bump

Advertisement