Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2019 - Round 17 Japan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Harika wrote: »
    That was dangerous

Yeah and there's no obvious benefit to keeping him out because he still ended up at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

skipper_G wrote: »
    Yeah and there's no obvious benefit to keeping him out because he still ended up at the back.

Leclerc ignored the pit call, he could not see the damage. Hamilton s rear mirror gone should tell us the danger of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He was too busy having his customary whinge on the radio to listen to the pit wall telling him to pit.

Three different Ferrari behind each other. Rare view

Someone said it on a previous race thread about DiResta saying 'meejum' tyre and now I can't stop hearing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

No penalty for Vettel

Soft tyres for Vettel so he's on a 2 stopper

Good racing in the mid field, bummer for the start. Leclerc now soft again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Commentary from Crofty is just tragic this morning.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Commentary from Crofty is just tragic this morning.

That was a real pearl about Leclerc having the damaged wing, the same one they had already changed 25 laps ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

He probably was working on something witty to say for the past half hour only for Diresta to stop him before he even got to the punchline.

He didn't know what to say.

Going to be fireworks at Mercedes if Hamilton dosnt pit again.

I just can't see him going from 1st to 3rd pitting without trying to stay out and win.

So Mercedes are planning to stop Hamilton again, somehow I don't think Hamilton is planning the same. If he stays out he has a chance to win the race, if he pits he doesn't

skipper_G wrote: »
    So Mercedes are planning to stop Hamilton again, somehow I don't think Hamilton is planning the same. If he stays out he has a chance to win the race, if he pits he doesn't

Shocked that he pitted.

Surely for him to at least finish 2nd he should of stayed out?

Now the best he can get is 3rd

I'm surprised he pitted, not being critical mind you. I would have been okay if he had stayed out, I expected it.

Hamilton right on Vettel

Didn't see that.... How did he catch him so fast

Mercedes know better than me at strategy anyway

Ain't going to pass Vettel either,,,, Ferrari too quick down the straights

Sainz driver of the day for me, had a really solid race. On for a top 5 finish

Perez out

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Perez out

He was on for a decent points finish too. Damn it, first glance probably a racing incident. Hard to blame either of them more

Another race with no real on track overtakes for the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

you really can see that HAM and Diresta dislike each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Missed the end unfortunately.

Can anyone tell me how Perez classified 9th even though he crashed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Not a bad race again but not great either.
    Poor start from Vettel but looking at Mercedes pace second was a good result maybe even great. Unlucky for max would have been nice to see how they matched up(redbulls that is ).
    Ferrari have an amazing engine. I don't think I have ever seen a DRS on a Mercedes completely nullified. But that has happened a few times this year when chasing down Ferrari , bit of straight and they are gone .Ferrari need a lot of work on the rest of the car. Good job by Bottas ,half expected Lewis to stay out that would have made it interesting.
    Charles probably expects a race penalty of some sort.

Stroll did well in the middle of the race, over takes not show . Riccardo twice coming through the field not a bad race for him.
    Sainz is having a decent season good drive again . The McLaren is kinda in a no man's land of its own ends up fifth or 6th and clear of the rest of the midfield. Renault have a lot to sort out. Norris was unlucky with his race.

Albon is still not showing a real step up in the Redbull got his 4th place but still well off the lead.
    Gasly is driving really well for the demoted , it's seems true what he said he prefers the way the Toro Rosso drives for him.
    Sauber seem to be joining Haas in going backwards .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

And again different rules apply when it involves a Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Top Dog wrote: »
    Missed the end unfortunately.

Can anyone tell me how Perez classified 9th even though he crashed out?

Chequered flag was shown one lap early (even though they did the full race distance) and therefore the official result was taken at the end of the second last lap.

Same thing happened in Canada last year, but from memory the result did not change. Riccardo lost the fastest lap on that occasion though. .

weisses wrote: »

LeClerc given 2 penalties post-race:
    10 seconds and Ferrari fined 25,000 for driving the car in an unsafe condition.
    5 seconds and 2 penalty points for the the incident with Max.

No further action indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Cool_CM wrote: »
    LeClerc given 2 penalties post-race:
    10 seconds and Ferrari fined 25,000 for driving the car in an unsafe condition.
    5 seconds and 2 penalty points for the the incident with Max.

No further action indeed :)

Al handed out after the race.... if these penalties would have been given during the race ... (and there is no reason they couldn't been given ) he wouldn't even have scored points ... so yes, stewards are a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

weisses wrote: »

I was quite surprised about the Vettel jump start not getting a penalty. That was a slam dunk jump start, and he clearly went beyond his yellow marker in doing so. Disappointed for him overall though, would have loved to see him take the win, but quite a good recovery drive all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

He did go past the yellow marker but didn't brake the box line. I think that's the grey area that saves him. Paul Di alluded to as much in the commentary .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Joeface wrote: »
    He did go past the yellow marker but didn't brake the box line. I think that's the grey area that saves him. Paul Di alluded to as much in the commentary .

He was blessed. Normally the sensors pick up the slightest of movement, let alone about a foot of movement from the yellow line to the box line. I know ultimately it cost him anyway, but I just found the movement excessive in terms of what's normally penalised.

Advertisement