Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why is .IE Domain renewal so expensive?

Options
  • 13-01-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

got a prompt for domain name renewal today

it's currently with Hosting entity "A" who want €29.99 for a 1 year renewal

I can transfer it to Hosting entity "B" for €5.99 for a 1 year renewal

but I'd rather do nothing and pay a fair price for this domain name renewal where it sits

so I assumed it might be a bit like the fake competition pointless chase around scenario with mobile phone contract deals or ESB/Gas etc. in that you have to call them to ask for the discounted rate or move the billing to another provider (if you really want to for some reason)

I asked Hosting entity "A" if I could just save the rigmarole and just give me a discounted rate, they refused saying go ahead and transfer your domain to Hosting entity "B" for the €5.99 cu next year

this seems fairly dumb to me

or am I missing anything obvious here?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My guess would be the initial year is sold at a loss, i.e. it costs your domain registrar more than you're paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

I guess so Graham

just sounds like an admin paperchase to me....a bit like having to shop around every year to maintain your phone number lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is the case with a lot of domains bought a. Com for 99c one time then auto renewed for 12 dollars.

You might not get the cheap introductory offer if you transfer an existing domain. ie domains are relatively straightforward to transfer so it will be worth moving them if you can do it for the cheap price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

In my experience they are always cheap first time around. For me anyway its not worth the hassle of moving them about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

martco wrote: »
    or am I missing anything obvious here?

The wholesale cost of a .ie domain name is around €15 ex-VAT.

Most of the larger .ie registrars, including ourselves, are offering the first year registration and transfers at a substantial discount. In many cases you can get the domain name for free if you buy other services with it.

This kind of pricing strategy is pretty common.

So the first year price you paid was lower than what it cost the registrar

Michele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Hosting B's discounted rate might be only for the first year and then the same high price the following year. worth checking before you move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

So is the way around this to change host every year? can one self host where its simply a personal domain?

About to get a domain, but dont want to find myself paying 35e a year for something that is 99cents somewhere else- will changing each year be simple?

😎

Hosting and registration are not the same. Yes, it's simple.

Advertisement