Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have correct pronunciation?

• 08-11-2019 10:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Even though English is my first language, I've been told that I have a few problems with pronunciation and my accent is difficult to understand. I want to know what you think and what I could improve on.

Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What are you saying? Are you the voice over on the ad? You would hardly be asked to do a voice-over if your accent was too strong or inappropriate to the ad.

Lots of people have strong accents, in general it doesn't matter, its part of life's diversity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Even though English is my first language, I've been told that I have a few problems with pronunciation and my accent is difficult to understand. I want to know what you think and what I could improve on.

Link

Stop WUMing

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058027876/1/#post111678560

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

looksee wrote: »
    What are you saying? Are you the voice over on the ad? You would hardly be asked to do a voice-over if your accent was too strong or inappropriate to the ad.

Lots of people have strong accents, in general it doesn't matter, its part of life's diversity.

Yes, I'm the guy on the voiceover. Anyway does it sound understandable?

Also, what accent do you think I have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Accent not too strong - but maybe over emphasising some words or over thinking it.

Is this a job or an in house or course work or something?

context is probably more important with regards to how much you need to worry about it.

kenmm wrote: »
    Accent not too strong - but maybe over emphasising some words or over thinking it.

Is this a job or an in house or course work or something?

context is probably more important with regards to how much you need to worry about it.

Well I was asked to try out for a voice-over job. Does it sound American, English, Canadian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It doesn't really sound like any native accent. Possibly Asian English trying for American? Nothing seriously wrong with pronunciation, but diction needs some attention, you tend to swallow words a bit.

looksee wrote: »
    It doesn't really sound like any native accent. Possibly Asian English trying for American? Nothing seriously wrong with pronunciation, but diction needs some attention, you tend to swallow words a bit.

Well actually I'm African but moved to the US as a kid. I've been here for 10 years.

Advertisement