Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General sheep thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

case5130 wrote: »
    I just use three strands and a reelers and a good battery fencer no problem

That's a lot of stakes... ;)

How many metres between each one?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭case5130

That's a lot of stakes... ;)

How many metres between each one?

Great for making grass last tho

There close there but I've had them 3 metres plus apart

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Just wondering what meal people are feeding before and after lambing? I have no where to get bulk blown in so it would be 25kg bags. I'm in the cavan leitrim area so have used a few that can be got localy. Just would like to hear what others find the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

390kid wrote: »
    Just wondering what meal people are feeding before and after lambing? I have no where to get bulk blown in so it would be 25kg bags. I'm in the cavan leitrim area so have used a few that can be got localy. Just would like to hear what others find the best

I'm using flynns rations in mullingar, I've been using their 18% ewe ration for the last ten years, I feed it with straw, not hay or silage,so it wouldn't be long showing up if it wasn't up to spec, list price is about 315, but I buy it in bags in five ton loads so get it at a better price.
    I don't feed after lambing very much, usually have grass, but if I do, use a snacker but it can only handle nuts and flynns don't often have nuts

I'm using flynns rations in mullingar, I've been using their 18% ewe ration for the last ten years, I feed it with straw, not hay or silage,so it wouldn't be long showing up if it wasn't up to spec, list price is about 315, but I buy it in bags in five ton loads so get it at a better price.
    I don't feed after lambing very much, usually have grass, but if I do, use a snacker but it can only handle nuts and flynns don't often have nuts[/quote]

When your feeding straw with them how much meal per ewe do you give? It doesn't sound dear at that price when it's obviously doing its job very well

• Advertisement

I don't feed after lambing very much, usually have grass, but if I do, use a snacker but it can only handle nuts and flynns don't often have nuts

When your feeding straw with them how much meal per ewe do you give? It doesn't sound dear at that price when it's obviously doing its job very well[/QUOTE]

I reckon on straw plus .5kg of meal as equal to silage, so they just get half a kilo with the straw in mid pregnancy.
    Six weeks from lambing I start upping the rate same as you would with silage up to 1.25kgs at lambing for twins. 1.25kg has to be fed in three feeds through out the day.....shouldn't give more than .5kg to a ewe at a time, very easy sicken ewes in late pregnancy and you have to increase the rate very gradually

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

rangler1 wrote: »
    When your feeding straw with them how much meal per ewe do you give? It doesn't sound dear at that price when it's obviously doing its job very well

I reckon on straw plus .5kg of meal as equal to silage, so they just get half a kilo with the straw in mid pregnancy.
    Six weeks from lambing I start upping the rate same as you would with silage up to 1.25kgs at lambing for twins. 1.25kg has to be fed in three feeds through out the day.....shouldn't give more than .5kg to a ewe at a time, very easy sicken ewes in late pregnancy and you have to increase the rate very gradually[/quote]

Rangler, was there a thread thst you gave out the details of your tunnel in? Thinking about puttin up a shed or a tunnel here for 100 ewes. So just weighing up my options.

Hi Ard Mc =, quotes seem to be getting mixed up, Try to sort it with a quick reply
    Here's a thread from my former life as rancher.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82080860

Starting at the third post

Its 120ft by 36ft and holds about 200 sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There is a breed of sheep in Russia where the lambs are skinned. That's the only use of wool that I disagree with.
    PETA are a mouthpiece and I instantly hate ppl who support them...peter drinkledge being one of them :(

• Advertisement

Ah good auld PETA 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dylan collins

any man got any good tips for training a young sheep dog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

any man got any good tips for training a young sheep dog

Get the basics right first. Make sure he will lie down and "walk on" on command and that he will come back to you no questions asked.then bring hism out with a long rope and teach him the come by(go left) and away(go right).

thanks lad

John Fagan had 120 inlamb ewes in Carnaross yesterday, 3rd and 4th crop.
    A neighbour went to buy, so i asked about them, he said that a pen of 10 ewes with 22 or 23 lambs in them made €120.
    His comment was ''twas enough for them''........ says it all really.
    He didn't buy any of them!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

John Fagan had 120 inlamb ewes in Carnaross yesterday, 3rd and 4th crop.
    A neighbour went to buy, so i asked about them, he said that a pen of 10 ewes with 22 or 23 lambs in them made €120.
    His comment was ''twas enough for them''........ says it all really.
    He didn't buy any of them!!!!!!

They d be all mules I guess? Be good stock very small money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

seen ewes in Carrigallen last monday night making similar money, no newbies want the hassle of lambing ewes

razor8 wrote: »
    seen ewes in Carrigallen last monday night making similar money, no newbies want the hassle of lambing ewes

From my neighbours description you'd need a farmer with a bit of experience to handle these ladies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

From my neighbours description you'd need a farmer with a bit of experience to handle these ladies :rolleyes:

we bought them for years but running closed flock now, usually after first lambing & they settle in they're grand.

if you're in sheep to make money you have to produce numbers. imo

the mule is 1 breed than will do that and great mothers

lads i gave flukeiver 5 weeks ago and i am wondering when i will need to give it to them again

• Advertisement

and aswell this is my first year lambing must scan saturday how many lambs would a scotch cross cheviot have on a average

and aswell this is my first year lambing must scan saturday how many lambs would a scotch cross cheviot have on a average

One point five maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

One point five maybe

It all depends on the treatment they got around mating. But I'd be expecting around 1.3 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

A not very prolific breed crossed with a less prolific breed!! I'd cross my fingers and hope for the best and not have high expectations!!

A not very prolific breed crossed with a less prolific breed!! I'd cross my fingers and hope for the best and not have high expectations!!

Isn't there a thing ...the ewe for numbers and ram for quality... Might of heard it on here actually

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Isn't there a thing ...the ewe for numbers and ram for quality... Might of heard it on here actually

Yeah the number of lambs is determined by the ewe. They wont be to bad actually should scan 1.5 or higher. The hybrid vigour between the 2breeds should push it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

could you get half tonne bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Have couple ewes together,1 single 2 twins 1 triplet,want to give them a bit of meal around now,how much to give them so the single isn't too big?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

IH784man wrote: »
    Have couple ewes together,1 single 2 twins 1 triplet,want to give them a bit of meal around now,how much to give them so the single isn't too big?

Get a narrow trough and cut a ewes head sized hole out of the bottom of a wide enough bucket that will allow the ewe only to pull hay silage but not get her head into the trough.. Position bucket over ewes head.. Happy days... Feed double and triplets half a kg head twice a day..

• Advertisement

roosky wrote: »

could you get half tonne bags
    Ye I would have the space for the a few half tonne bags

Advertisement