Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recent Bigotry in Burma

• 25-05-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts here on the religious and ethnic intolerance in Burma in recent years?

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/01/the-specter-of-mass-killings-in-burma/283483/

The fact that it seems to be led by Buddhist monks is a surprise to many who associate Buddhism as being peaceful and tolerant. Personally I think that's naive and lacks understanding of human nature. But taking the longer historical view, persecution by Buddhist of others seems rarer than with other religions. And the scale of the violence in Burma is really quite shocking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

You've said it yourself - human nature. Fear and other negative emotions.
    It looks like ethnic and sectarian problems that have simmered and flared for over a century.
    Even if monks are involved, I can't see justification for any of it. Hatred and violence leads to more of the same in return as we've also seen here in Ireland.

I notice there was letter from the Dalai Lama in 2012 expressing sadness at the violence and his wish for non-violence and tolerance.

I guess anywhere there are populations moved around, there follows tensions as groups compete for land, resources, power etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

bou wrote: »
    You've said it yourself - human nature. Fear and other negative emotions.
    It looks like ethnic and sectarian problems that have simmered and flared for over a century.
    Even if monks are involved, I can't see justification for any of it. Hatred and violence leads to more of the same in return as we've also seen here in Ireland.

I notice there was letter from the Dalai Lama in 2012 expressing sadness at the violence and his wish for non-violence and tolerance.

I guess anywhere there are populations moved around, there follows tensions as groups compete for land, resources, power etc.

I'm not sure if this is mainly to do with people moving around? From reading some background on this, the Rohingya people seem to be native to parts of whats now Burma/Mayanmar. Although at various times since the 16th c and British rule it does seem that other Muslims have migrated to Burma. And after the Bangladesh Independence war against Pakistan. The first big communal violence I've read of was during ww2 when the Rohingya identified with the Allies, and the Burmese with Burmese nationalism or the Japanese occupation.

Since Burmese military rule, it seems that main driver of this persecution is the promotion of a nationalism based on Burmese ethnicity and the Buddhist religion.

Advertisement