Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekly WW2 Trivia Questions

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Up to my eyeballs in work so am out of action for a while. Sorry, hope to catch up soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

1)What was Operation Granit
    a - Invasion of Crete by the Germans?

2)What was the purpose of the Bruneval Raid
    a - The capture or destruction of German anti aircrat radar installations ?

3)Who were the queens of the German army.
    a - No idea ?

4)Who led the Cockleshell heroes.
    a- A "Major Stringer" springs to mind, but unsure about this one.

5) Stuka was a nickname for Sturzkampfflugzeug (diving combat aircraft , of course) . But Stuka was also used as part of a nickname for another piece of German military hardware. What was it.
    a- No idea, but will guess
    the Nebelwefer rocket system.

6)Name the spy ring that informed the Russians of the planned German assault at Kursk
    a- The Lucy Spy Ring ?

7)Where did Rommell first engage the Americans in North Africa
    a- Kasserine Pass ?

8)What other battle took place on the same day as Pearl Harbour.
    a - Battle for moscow ?

9)What did the Russian soldiers call the equivalent of the English ,“Katie”
    a - No idea

10)Where were the first German bombs dropped in Dublin.(city)
    a- i have a feeling that was the Donore Bombings Jan 2nd 1941, bombs fell on South Circular Rd Kimmage and Terenure

good questions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

bealbocht wrote: »
    Best wishes to Ms.Crash from me also. Hope all goes well.

(The assault on the Eben Emael fort and nearby bridges)

(Commando raid to capture parts of the radar installation on the clifftop)

3)Who were the queens of the German army. (Urp, no idea)

(Major Stringer)

5) Stuka was a nickname for Sturzkampfflugzeug (diving combat aircraft , of course) . But Stuka was also used as part of a nickname for another piece of German military hardware. What was it. (Janey, where do you get this trivia from?)

6)Name the spy ring that informed the Russians of the planned German assault at Kursk
    (Lucy)

(Kasserine Pass?)

(Stalingrad)

9)What did the Russian soldiers call the equivalent of the English ,“Katie” (No idea)

(Terenure)

My effort, for what it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Guys, thanks for the wishes to Lady Crash, things still not great, but looking a wee bit better.

Now, time to distract myself.....

1)What was Operation Granit?
    The attack on the Belgian Fort Eben Emael, and to capture the bridges at Canne, Vroenhoven and Veltwezelt

2)What was the purpose of the Bruneval Raid?
    It was to capture a Wurzburg radar set to see if they could find a way of spoofing it. It led to the development of Window, aka Chaff

3)Who were the queens of the German army. Along with my esteemed colleagues, no idea. If you say they were a bunch of pink tutu wearing nancy boy nazi's, i couldn't argue the point!!

4)Who led the Cockleshell heroes?
    Major Herbert Hasler

5) Stuka was a nickname for Sturzkampfflugzeug (diving combat aircraft , of course) . But Stuka was also used as part of a nickname for another piece of German military hardware. What was it?
    Wurfrahmen 40 rocket launcher

6)Name the spy ring that informed the Russians of the planned German assault at Kursk?
    the Lucy Spy ring?

7)Where did Rommell first engage the Americans in North Africa?
    kasserine pass, best guess. Don't think i'm right though

8)What other battle took place on the same day as Pearl Harbour?
    japanese invasion of Siam and Malaysia?

Dunno

terenure

gatecrash wrote: »
    Guys, thanks for the wishes to Lady Crash, things still not great, but looking a wee bit better.

welcome back gatecrash, good to hear there's some improvement, fingers crossed it'll all work out ok ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

I think Gatecrash has it.
    Well done lads, some of the questions, I suppose were a bit obscure, on account of my "click and reseach " method of finding questions.

Fallschirgerjager assault on Eben Emael
    Got this from a magazine called "Special forces Raids".

Würzburg radar, destroy and capture technology

3)Who were the queens of the German army.

I suppose this does not translate the same, but find it hillarious

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/posters/infan.jpg

This poster is 1942 or after, since one soldier is wearing a decoration first issued in 1942. The text translates as: "Infantry: The Queen of the Services."
    I found this independently a while ago, but also saw it on this forum somewhere once too.

Major Herbert "Blondie" Hasler,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Frankton

5) Stuka was a nickname for Sturzkampfflugzeug (diving combat aircraft , of course) . But Stuka was also used as part of a nickname for another piece of German military hardware. What was it.
    The Wurfrahmen 40 (literally "launch frame 40") was a German multiple rocket launcher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurfrahmen_40

Lucy Spy Ring
    http://www.2worldwar2.com/kursk.htm

Kasserine Pass
    http://www.worldwar2database.com/html/kasserine.htm

Wake

Wake.. who the hell has heard of Wake.. , don’t know how I found it, but its interesting for all sorts of reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wake_Island

http://www.worldwar2database.com/html/wake.htm

Wake has the distinction of being the only time defenders were able to prevent a landing during World War II

Katyushas rocket launcher
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyushas

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Heritage%20and%20History/Dublin%20City%20Archives/Collections%20Post%201840/Pages/donore_bombing_archives.aspx

In the Irish times archive 4th Jan 1941 , Page 7. the picture of the destroyed houses, is the same as the view from my bedroom window. Not till I saw this picture, did I notice, these two house are the only ones along the whole row, without bay windows. Don’t yet have a copy of the picture, but would really like one (€60 to buy from the Irish Times.. pah..
    Also, I wonder if this was just one plane dropping its load.. I suppose it was, bit of a spread, with hits dropping about a mile from each other.

Damn, didn't think i'd get that one.

Ok, have football tonight then visiting duties, will start drawing up a few questions over the next day or so, sorry about making you all wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

In the Irish times archive 4th Jan 1941 , Page 7. the picture of the destroyed houses, is the same as the view from my bedroom window. Not till I saw this picture, did I notice, these two house are the only ones along the whole row, without bay windows. Don’t yet have a copy of the picture, but would really like one (€60 to buy from the Irish Times.. pah..

That is pretty freaky. If there are any elderly neighbours on the road it may be worth asking them if they have any pics from that time ?

€60 wouldn't be too bad if it's a good quality print of what was originally a good looking picture.

well done gatecrash :)
    Also, I wonder if this was just one plane dropping its load.. I suppose it was, bit of a spread, with hits dropping about a mile from each other.

some pics of the damage in rathdown park in terenure here, jan 2nd 41
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64190302&postcount=153

and opposite the players factory on scr here, jan 2nd 41(bottom photo)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61396624&postcount=94

Sorry about the delay lads and lassies, should have something ready for Saturday

• Advertisement

Hangovers and coming up with interesting questions DO NOT mix!!

Anyway, here we go.

1. What is the significance of U-505?

2. What date did the Japanese task force that attacked Pearl Harbour set sail?

3. Where was the first Japanese attack, outside of China?

4. What was the first capital ship lost to enemy action?

5. During WW2, where was the headquarters for the Imperial Japanese Army in SE Asia located?

6. What was Operation Mercury

7. How did Erwin Rommel overcome the Gazala Line?

8. What nation was the only democratic power in the Axis in WWII?

9. Who commanded the squadron involved in Operation Vengence?

10. I declare these proceeding closed. Who said it?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

My try:

a/ captured intact by the US Navy in 1944
    b/ The commander of U-505, Kptlt. Peter Zschech, committed suicide while under a heavy depth charge attack on 24 Oct. This was the only such case in the war. The IWO, Meyer, saved the boat and brought it back to port. -http://uboat.net/boats/u505.htm :p

26th November ?

Manchuria, War with the Soviet Union ?

?

5. During WW2, where was the headquarters for the Imperial Japanese Army in SE Asia located?
    Philippines ?

Attack on Crete

Bypassed it

Slovakia ?

?

10. I declare these proceeding closed. Who said it?[/QUOTE]
    ?

The capture of codebooks on U-505 allowed Allied cryptanalysts to break the special "coordinate" code in enciphered German messages and determine more precise locations for U-boat operating areas. Also the skipper committe sucide.

On November 26, 1941

French Indo China, Sept 1940 (supposed to be a walk in, but thats the French for you)

Prince of Wales and Repulse, were attacked in the same battle (think the Prince sank first)

The German Invasion of Crete, 20 May-1 June 1941

He sent a decoy attack along the coastal route while he planned to send the majority of his force, in a sweeping arc south and attack the Gazala Line primarily from the south and drive north to Tobruk

The Republic of Finland.. (technically an axis power, but fought against both sides .. just not in an Italian way)

Major John Mitchell

Douglas MacAurthur

I'll pop the answers up tonight lads, just in case anyone else wants to get in before the bell..

First sub captured by the USN

26-11-41

Kota Bharu

HMS Courageous

Saigon

German Invasion of Crete

He went around it’s southern flank

Finland

Major John W Mitchell (Operation to kill Yamamoto)#

McArthur, aboard the Missouri, in Tokyo Bay at the surrender.

Looks like bealbocht has it

Thanks for the photos of the bombings in Dublin. Pretty cool (in a photographic and historical sense)

Is it me again for the questions, did I see somewhere Hangovers was coming up with interesting questions ??

nope, it's all you Bealbocht

right, grand , ok so. grand yes, em .. right..no.. I've started already, been out to the folks gaff, and got the big book (its quite genaral but its just happens to be quite large) , and have two questions sorted , will get another few soon, I'm aiming for tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

How many Irish pilots died in the Battle of Britain. According to the film, just on tonight on channel 5 USA the Battle of Britain, no Irish were involved, as depicted in the credits.

Typical propaganda, I expect no better.

Irish contribution

Ireland 10

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=+how+many+irish+pilots+died+battle+of+brittan&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNon-British_personnel_in_the_RAF_during_the_Battle_of_Britain&ei=4TopUfynMsm2hQen0IHADQ&usg=AFQjCNGej2hQ-8kIB40TuFejkefkk2E7Ug

Paddy Finucane
    Among the about 15 Irishmen who played key roles in the Battle[25] was Dubliner Brendan "Paddy" Finucane,[26] an air ace who went on to claim a total of 32 enemy aircraft before being shot down and killed in 1942. He became operational in July 1940 and shot down his first Bf 109 on 12 August, getting a second Bf 109 the following day. In a 51-day period in 1941, Finucane claimed 16 Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters shot down, while flying with an Australian squadron. "Paddy" Finucane went on to become the youngest wing commander in the RAF, an appointment he received at the age of 21. He was killed on 15 July 1942.[27][28]
    [edit]See also

Someone should correct the credits in that propaganda film, just for historical and fair play reasons. The brits did not do it on their own as claimed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Go watch the movie again. Look after "Southern Rhodesian" and above "American"

You have also missed the point of this thread. You pose questions, other people answer them. This is not a thread for answering your own question with a diatribe caused by your own lack of observation.

[Mod]Please use a little more caution in future posts, and note that posts which give the impression of having been made because they are anti-British are not welcome to begin with.[/Mod]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

According to a recent book I read on British fighters during the war, there was only one Irishman registered as flying with the RAF (perhaps that was just during the Battle of Britain but I'm not sure.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Cathal O'Shannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Anatom wrote: »
    According to a recent book I read on British fighters during the war, there was only one Irishman registered as flying with the RAF (perhaps that was just during the Battle of Britain but I'm not sure.)

No there were at least 11 who flew in the BoB alone (leaving aside Bomber, Coastal and Training Commands)

W/Cdr. F V BEAMISH
    P/O B B CONSIDINE
    F/Lt. R S J EDWARDS
    F/O B E FINUCANE
    P/O G J GROGAN
    S/Ldr. H HARKNESS
    F/O J A HEMINGWAY
    F/Lt. N L IEVERS
    F/Lt. J I KILMARTIN
    P/O W W McCONNELL
    F/O W S MOORE

Then you had Richard Saul who was AOC 13 Group during the BoB.

FV 'Victor' Beamish was not the only Beamish brother to serve in the RAF during WWII - his brothers, Cecil, George, and Charles all served too. George and Charles also played rugby for Ireland, with George also playing for the Lions. The other two also played rugby to a high representative level and Cecil represented Ireland at squash.

Brendan Finucane was a fairly formidable pilot in his own right and had achieved the rank of Wing Commander before he was killed at age 21. Also despite his best efforts, he became something of a 'celebrity' for his flying exploits (the Air Ministry needed the PR of an Irishman leading an Aussie squadron) and models of his Spitfire were sold, complete with shamrock under the cockpit that had been painted on by his riggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

What senior Nazi competed for a Canadian ice-skating team at a US ice-skating tournament in his pre-trouble-making days?

Answer:-

Advertisement