Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saluting "people of the book"?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

I was reading recently a few passages whereby certain Muslim teachers expressed the view that Muslims may salute "people of the book" (Jews and Christians) but only if saluted first.
    Why is this?

There was no reason given for this but it centred around the incident where the Prophet was offered an insult, disguised as a salute, using similar sounding words but with polar-opposite meanings. Is it something to do with an 'official' greeting between Muslims and the return of a double blessing in response?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I cannot understand what you are asking or the point of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I would like to know the reason why Muslim teachers, citing the Quran, say it is improper/unacceptable/whatever to offer salutations/greetings to Christians/Jews ("people of the book" first. That's what I'm asking.
    Why I'm asking is none of your business.

I would like to know the reason why Muslim teachers, citing the Quran, say it is improper/unacceptable/whatever to offer salutations/greetings to Christians/Jews ("people of the book" first. That's what I'm asking.

So you read somewhere that some mullah/imam/semi-literate desert-dweller made a vague proclamation and you are inquiring why this is enshrined doctrine in Islam?

In my workplace, in a Muslim country, I can assure you that every single one of my co-workers greets me in a civil and friendly manner.

Why I'm asking is none of your business.

I honestly couldn't give a toss why you are posting. I was merely trying, as a regular of this forum and not as a moderator, as to the point of your post because I found the wording of it unclear.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So you read somewhere that some mullah/imam/semi-literate desert-dweller made a vague proclamation and you are inquiring why this is enshrined doctrine in Islam?

In my workplace, in a Muslim country, I can assure you that every single one of my co-workers greets me in a civil and friendly manner.

I honestly couldn't give a toss why you are posting. I was merely trying, as a regular of this forum and not as a moderator, as to the point of your post because I found the wording of it unclear.

Well go annoy someone else then if you can't answer the question.

Well go annoy someone else then if you can't answer the question.

Sorry if I am annoying you, just trying to engage in discussion, clarify the issue at hand and offer my opinion and experiences.

If you feel that strongly about it, please let me know and I'll gladly close the thread.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Sorry if I am annoying you, just trying to engage in discussion, clarify the issue at hand and offer my opinion and experiences.

If you feel that strongly about it, please let me know and I'll gladly close the thread.

I want opinions from Muslims. You are not a Muslim. I don't want your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I'm not a muslim either but I've read the Koran and some books on the prophet Mohammad and Islamic history.

In the early days, they had a lot of trouble with surviving conflict with Jewish tribes in what is now Saudi Arabia. Mohammad greatly respected the fact that Judaism and Christianity had a book and he saw his revelations as an extension of those two faiths.

On that basis he would allow respect, but only if Jews/Christians were willing to accept Islam as a legitimate religion. Basically - respect us and we'll respect you. However the Koran is somewhat confusing as some sections seem to give license to attack any 'infidels' it's not really clear if that means all non-muslims or all non-muslims who are not 'people of the book'.

p.s. TD was not very helpful, and why you want to know is your business. It would have been more useful if he'd not replied at all. I hope this helps you )

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

CMOD NOTE
    This forum is for the discussion of Islam.
    It is NOT and will not be a place where only responses from those the faith will be accepted.
    If anyone wants that then you won't find it here and should I see the type of disrespect shown above to posters for offering their opinion or advice in a genuine manner than I or one of the other cmods or admin team will take swift action.

Thread closed. Lazy, JD - take care how you post in future in this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement