Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon FE broken :( Repair or replace?

• 20-12-2020 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

My FE seems to stick with the mirror locked up after taking just a couple of shots. Changing the shutter speed (usually to M90) generally resolves the issue but it's getting very annoying.

I'm guessing I should just get on ebay to find a new one but wondering if it might be something simple to repair.

Any Nikon film camera experts can advise?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not a Nikon expert, but there are a couple of repair people in Dublin. Might be something reasonably simple like a stretched spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Seems to be a very common problem ...and possible easy-ish fix.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/nikon-fe-shutter-stuck-mirror-wont-come-down.205872/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Seems to be a very common problem ...and possible easy-ish fix.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/nikon-fe-shutter-stuck-mirror-wont-come-down.205872/

How did I manage to not find that!

Thanks. I'll have a read through the link and see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Well worth trying to fix if it's otherwise working OK, the FE is a nice shooter. This is probably one of a couple of things. The very first thing I would do is to check the batteries, and check the contacts. Even if you think you put fresh batteries in recently, open another 2 and try them. That might just resolve your issue. If not then potentially sticky memory foam, then a couple of mechanical things that might be the problem which you can try yourself as you've found above.

Funny story, I have two FE-2's because my first one went on the blink after replacing batteries, wouldn't fire, meter shot, so I bought a new one. Took the batteries from the old one, 2nd one behaved the same way. :mad::mad::mad: Before penning an angry screed to the seller, I took two new NEW batteries and tried them, and both bodies were just fine. Tested the other two batteries, and one of them was dead as a dodo, straight from the packet.

OTOH I did end up with this:
    8343869574_787b3d3865_z.jpg

So, y'know, swings and roundabouts :D

Hi again. My camera was locked away in my (closed since Christmas :( ) studio until tonight.

Recovered the camera and checked recommendations above. No success. Mirror now stuck up even at M90 setting. Film lever also stuck now. Totally seized up.

I've read some recommendations about removing the bottom plate and fiddling with some cogs but tbh I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing look at it.

Any recommendations for someone who can repair a Nikon FE? Post here or PM.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've used a chap called Clive McDonald before, though about ten years ago, based out Artane direction. I still have his number in my phone, but he could have retired for all I know. Can pm it to you if you want to ping him?

I've used a chap called Clive McDonald before, though about ten years ago, based out Artane direction. I still have his number in my phone, but he could have retired for all I know. Can pm it to you if you want to ping him?

That would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Perhaps not exactly related to Nikon FE camera model, but there's a crowd based in Cork who are into Nikon camera bodies repairs:

https://www.ielectron.ie/model/camera/nikon-camera/all

Advertisement