Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

1383940414244»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Cedric87 wrote: »
    May ? Where did you hear that ?

*Facepalm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doyouevenlift9

Rang the Garda Reserve office to see if there is anything planned for 2016 and she said there nothing planned for the coming months and it may be next year before it would restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

What a real disappointment to hear this info.Don't see what the point was in bringing people in for medicals if this is how it was going to turn out.Thanks for the update Doyouevenlift9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doyouevenlift9

donman wrote: »
    What a real disappointment to hear this info.Don't see what the point was in bringing people in for medicals if this is how it was going to turn out.Thanks for the update Doyouevenlift9.

I wasn't surprised to here. The one in the office said after September was cancelled that it be November and then when November didn't go ahead she said be new year and then the new year comes its going be 2017 haha

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Upcoming elections will prove vital for the Garda reserves and I believe it is an important issue. Niall Collins has been the back bone in questioning the minister about reserve numbers and training in my opinion, on many occasions he has put questions that I had wrote to him about the reserves to the minister. His plans are to double the numbers to 2500 and open up recruitment ( believe it when I see it ) , I feel things could pick up if the right party get in so my advise is to keep an eye out for party policies as one or two parties have it In their policy to scrap the reserves. So keep it in your mind when casting your vote and let's hope things get rolling once again after the elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Its a joke. I was at an information evening about public service careers and AGS said that if you want to be a Garda the reserves was the way to go! If you are going to favor those who have reserve experience then we should all have equal access to get into the reserves! Does anybody have any idea of how many they will be taking in whenever they get around to it? It must be little compared to the amount who applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

His plans are to double the numbers to 2500 and open up recruitment ( believe it when I see it ) ,

As far as I know 1200 is the maximum amount of reserves allowed atm...
    Its a joke. I was at an information evening about public service careers and AGS said that if you want to be a Garda the reserves was the way to go!

It'll certainly help you at the interview stage but people from all over can make great candidates and if you look at the last few competitions most were not reserves and came from all different jobs.

Anyone wanting to go the reserve route good luck to them as they've a seriously long wait ahead of them by the time they join the reserves, train and they'd be expected to do at least 3 years before going full time. It's definitely not a fast track to full time that's for sure.

Previously the reserves that got into full time were just lucky as they were waiting around years for the recruitment to open up. AGS had to throw them a bone otherwise the reserves would have all walked out and the force would have ended there and then.

I'd join the reserves out of interest but if your just hoping for full time I'd certainly focus on trying to stand out as best you can as a normal candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dr_Champion

I seen in an article online that they want to take on 500 Garda Reserves by the end of this year ., Iv had some interest in the Garda Reserve since I applyed for full time and would like to give it the Reserve a shot if I didn't get the full time, but from advice people have giving me saying its a lengthy process and hard to get into , Does any1 think that they will actually recruit 500 new Reserve Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

I seen in an article online that they want to take on 500 Garda Reserves by the end of this year ., Iv had some interest in the Garda Reserve since I applyed for full time and would like to give it the Reserve a shot if I didn't get the full time, but from advice people have giving me saying its a lengthy process and hard to get into , Does any1 think that they will actually recruit 500 new Reserve Gardai?

It can take years to get called, to earn yourself a rank of Reserve...
    They need 10% of the regular force. The regulars are now slowly gaining numbers..
    Reserve was capped off at 1200ish. Now with some Reserves getting the Regular position and retiring thoses numbers fluctuate.. There probably will be a intake some time this year for the long awaiting Reserve Studients and I'd say Active Reserves at the moment is around 600/700 members...
    There is a lot more now for us to do, if you want it...

It can take years to get called, to earn yourself a rank of Reserve...
    They need 10% of the regular force. The regulars are now slowly gaining numbers..
    Reserve was capped off at 1200ish. Now with some Reserves getting the Regular position and retiring thoses numbers fluctuate.. There probably will be a intake some time this year for the long awaiting Reserve Studients and I'd say Active Reserves at the moment is around 600/700 members...
    There is a lot more now for us to do, if you want it...

Thanks for the reply Mc jackester, so many people have said it takes years.,love to know why? A lad on this said he has been waiting on training date for the past 2/3 years I think he said, I'm surprised people stay interested that long. Do you think it would be worth putting in an application ? And how do you find the GR yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Thanks for the reply Mc jackester, so many people have said it takes years.,love to know why? A lad on this said he has been waiting on training date for the past 2/3 years I think he said, I'm surprised people stay interested that long. Do you think it would be worth putting in an application ? And how do you find the GR yourself?[/quote

Put in your application, you will enjoy if you put in some hard work...

Has anyone waiting on Training Date saw this?Is this positive Information,that something may happen this year yet,and we get in for Training?.1 year on since my Medical & 4 years 3 months since the start of my application.

Department of Justice and Equality
    Garda Reserve

All Written Answers on 24 May 2016 « Previous answer Next answer »

Photo of Barry CowenBarry Cowen (Offaly, Fianna Fail)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

83. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality when further training will commence for applicants to An Garda Síochána Reserve [11606/16]

Photo of Frances FitzgeraldFrances Fitzgerald (Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

As the Deputy will appreciate, the recruitment and training of the Garda Reserve is a matter for the Garda Commissioner and I, as Minister, have no direct role in the matter. I am informed by the Garda Commissioner that, as of the 31 March 2016, the strength of the Garda Reserve stood at 908 with 18 reserves in training.

Applications to become a member of the Garda Reserve can currently be made through the Public Appointments Service (PAS) website. The PAS processes applications on behalf of An Garda Síochána and admission to become a reserve member is subject to the provisions of the Garda Síochána (Reserve Members) Regulations 2006.

The Garda Reserve makes a real and tangible contribution to the policing of communities right across the country. This is recognised in the Programme for Government "A Programme for a Partnership Government" which includes a commitment to double the Garda Reserve to act in a supportive role undertaking local patrols and crime reduction measures. In this regard, I understand that the Garda Commissioner intends to launch a fresh recruitment drive for Garda Reserves this year. The expansion of the Garda Reserve will complement the commitments in the Programme tocontinue the ongoing accelerated Garda recruitment programme with a view to increasing Garda numbers to 15,000and also to increase further civilianisation to free up Gardaí to front-line policing duties. The delivery of these measures over the lifetime of the Government will ensure a visible policing presence in communities nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I emailed last week and got no reply, my job may not be able to give me two consecutive weeks off for the training so I don't think I'll be able to take the training if offered.

donman wrote: »
    Has anyone waiting on Training Date saw this?Is this positive Information,that something may happen this year yet,and we get in for Training?.1 year on since my Medical & 4 years 3 months since the start of my application.

Department of Justice and Equality
    Garda Reserve

All Written Answers on 24 May 2016 « Previous answer Next answer »

Photo of Barry CowenBarry Cowen (Offaly, Fianna Fail)

83. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality when further training will commence for applicants to An Garda Síochána Reserve [11606/16]

Photo of Frances FitzgeraldFrances Fitzgerald (Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

As the Deputy will appreciate, the recruitment and training of the Garda Reserve is a matter for the Garda Commissioner and I, as Minister, have no direct role in the matter. I am informed by the Garda Commissioner that, as of the 31 March 2016, the strength of the Garda Reserve stood at 908 with 18 reserves in training.

Applications to become a member of the Garda Reserve can currently be made through the Public Appointments Service (PAS) website. The PAS processes applications on behalf of An Garda Síochána and admission to become a reserve member is subject to the provisions of the Garda Síochána (Reserve Members) Regulations 2006.

The Garda Reserve makes a real and tangible contribution to the policing of communities right across the country. This is recognised in the Programme for Government "A Programme for a Partnership Government" which includes a commitment to double the Garda Reserve to act in a supportive role undertaking local patrols and crime reduction measures. In this regard, I understand that the Garda Commissioner intends to launch a fresh recruitment drive for Garda Reserves this year. The expansion of the Garda Reserve will complement the commitments in the Programme tocontinue the ongoing accelerated Garda recruitment programme with a view to increasing Garda numbers to 15,000and also to increase further civilianisation to free up Gardaí to front-line policing duties. The delivery of these measures over the lifetime of the Government will ensure a visible policing presence in communities nationwide.

I hope this happens. I would go for the Garda reserve, because I defo didn't get full time.

So as I thought I didn't get full time, does anyone know when the New Reserve Garda Recruitment will start ?

Hi Lads/Ladies,wondering if any of you who were at the Training stage back in 2015,and should have been going to Templemore,to begin Training on the September/November dates,would pm me.Looking to maybe get us to Introduce ourselves,where we are,chew the fat etc.If anyones up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

pat1187 wrote: »
    K.
    I assume you mean the 3 hours we all did in waterford? no. I don't believe they are aware we did it at all.I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.
    Initially I was told I could work more than the 40 hrs and what about pulse?
    Bye the way, is it true you were on the receiving end of a Molotov cocktail? also
    I have been out a lot with the Garda you accompanied at the Spree(?)

Hi pat just wondering did u do your training in Waterford and what was it like there because I’ll prob be doing my training in Waterford station.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Any one have any idea how the training will be done

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just just got word yesterday that I have been accepted and am travelling to Templemore this weekend for training.You normally have to visit the local station twice for interview. This I believe is a means by which they can judge your character and are more informal chats really.They just want to be sure of your level of commitment and that you know what you are getting yourself into.Roll on the Weekend.

how long did it take for you to start training since the first interview you had up in Dublin can you remember?

Advertisement