Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

beertons wrote: »
    Score in the Kerry match?

1-19 to 3-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Tomás Ó Sé predicted big Armagh win, I didn't see it myself, but so it is.

Monaghan have hardly won two games out of nine since beating Dublin in first league match.

Practising the mark didn't do them much good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

That's the end of that Monaghan team
    Poor day for qualifying round, easy wins for Tyrone mayo Clare and armagh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Malachy o Rourke resigns I may ad, worked wonders tbf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

https://twitter.com/monaghangaa/status/1142523762312732673

Expected Armagh to catch Mon but not by that much. Malachy O'Rourke done great things with Monaghan. Armagh a good shout for a super 8s spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Malachy O'Rourke is a good dude and brought them on immensely. They were really over achieving for a couple of years. A new voice needed perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Between his initial work with Fermanagh and what he did with Monaghan, he really is top class!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,778 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

End of an era here in Monaghan. Well beaten by a better team overall. Fresher and with ideas that they worked well.
    Slán agus beannacht Malachy!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

End of an era here in Monaghan. Well beaten by a better team overall. Fresher and with ideas that they worked well.

Time for a lot of the players to call it a day too.
    Some have got very slow.

Time for a lot of the players to call it a day too.
    Some have got very slow.

Yep, agree. When you are bringing on Drew Wylie and Dessie Mone as your 'impact' subs something is very amiss somewhere. I expect a year or two to rebuild something from the very very good development work being done. Down but not out hopefully.
    I genuinely didn't want a stuttering run against lesser opposition this year. That is one of the bad things about the back door...stalls making real changes. Last year might have been the best time for a manager/team change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

He got the max out of that panel
    I commented at the time of the mayo league game that I thought it was the end
    They looked like mayo did last year and McManus just did not look fit at all

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The gaa will do everything in there power too keep the big teams away from each other in the next round of the qualifiers esp Mayo vs Tyrone/Kildare

Teams in round 3
    Kildare
    Mayo
    Armagh
    Tryone
    Clare
    Westmeath
    Laois
    Offaly or Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What O'Rourke has done at Monaghan is nothing short of incredible. He took over a Division 3 side with one of smallest populations in country and no real underage success to call on and built one of the most consistent sides in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

End of malachy o rourkes management. Team just didn't have the hunger like last year. I feel their target over the years was an all Ireland semi final. They reached that. Very hard to pick themselves up for it again. There needs to be a clear out in the squad. V Corey and dessie mine in particular should have gone last year. A lot of young lads left the squad at the end of the league campaign. Mor fault really for not blooding enough players. Thought it was an insult to young mcginn to put him on when the game was clearly over. Glad to see malachy call it a day because we still have a good team. Hopefully get a manager who is progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The gaa will do everything in there power too keep the big teams away from each other in the next round of the qualifiers esp Mayo vs Tyrone/Kildare

Teams in round 3
    Kildare
    Mayo
    Armagh
    Tryone
    Clare
    Westmeath
    Laois
    Offaly or Sligo

That’s just ****e
    It’s an open draw
    No conspiracies
    Wouldn’t they be better off for example mayo vs Tyrone this round as a big game ?
    The provincial losers come on next round so all big games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

physioman wrote: »
    End of malachy o rourkes management. Team just didn't have the hunger like last year. I feel their target over the years was an all Ireland semi final. They reached that. Very hard to pick themselves up for it again. There needs to be a clear out in the squad. V Corey and dessie mine in particular should have gone last year. A lot of young lads left the squad at the end of the league campaign. Mor fault really for not blooding enough players. Thought it was an insult to young mcginn to put him on when the game was clearly over. Glad to see malachy call it a day because we still have a good team. Hopefully get a manager who is progressive.

The very definition of a progressive manager was Malachy O'Rourke. If the right replacement is not brought in Monaghan could well fall back to where O'Rourke found them e.g a middle of the road Div 3 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

The very definition of a progressive manager was Malachy O'Rourke. If the right replacement is not brought in Monaghan could well fall back to where O'Rourke found them e.g a middle of the road Div 3 team.

O'Rourke did a super job no doubt but lets not forget Monaghan had a good team on paper throughout. It wasn't exactly loaves and fishes stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

End of an era for Monaghan.I will miss them. Still remember that Sean Cavanagh drag that kickstarted the black card talk. That's what...6 years ago now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Clifford really is the real deal.

He is slowly getting towards the levels of play he used to do at minor grade.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Teams in round 3
    Kildare
    Mayo
    Armagh
    Tryone
    Clare
    Westmeath
    Laois
    Offaly or Sligo

You are accusing the GAA of fixing the draw. with the complicity of a pretty large range of people.

You do know that don't you?

So why not have the balls to come out and say it?

The whole of life is a conspiracy theory for people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Teams in round 3
    Kildare
    Mayo
    Armagh
    Tryone
    Clare
    Westmeath
    Laois
    Offaly or Sligo

And thats why Mayo and Kildare were kept apart last year? And Monagahan and Armagh this weekend. Seriously do you have an actual point or are just looking for attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Munster final attendance of 18,265 - hopefully next year will be back to the traditional Sunday afternoon throw-in:

http://twitter.com/MunsterGAA/status/1142509131712139264

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

On the evidence of tonight Kerry are still as ropey as they were last year in defence and that poor defence was the prime reason why they couldn't reach the AI semi final last summer. Cork at least gave better account of themselves v Kerry or be it I'm not convinced they will be able to win their round 4 tie.

Clare,Kildare,Westmeath all with expected comfortable wins v Div 4 opposition. Armagh put Monaghan out of their misery as lets be honest they were only lucky to stay up in Div 1 and Fermanagh probably should have beaten them in round 1. O'Rourke did a fine job with them no doubt but he had taken Monaghan as far as they could go.

I think a bit of credit needs to go to Down and Longford two sides that are currently Div 3 level. Both where competitive v Tyrone,Mayo two recent AI finalists and lost by just 4 and 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I'd have to disagree about progressive. He had a system that in the most part worked for them. But he had no plan b. I think they still have the players to take them on. His system just wasn't flexible enough

Munster final attendance of 18,265 - hopefully next year will be back to the traditional Sunday afternoon throw-in:

http://twitter.com/MunsterGAA/status/1142509131712139264

There’ll be a much bigger attendance in Clones tomorrow from two counties with much smaller populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There’ll be a much bigger attendance in Clones tomorrow from two counties with much smaller populations.

Well in fairness i dare say if Cavan and Donegal were contesting every Ulster final for the last god knows how many years, i think a near 20,000 attendance would be excellent.

Well in fairness i dare say if Cavan and Donegal were contesting every Ulster final for the last god knows how many years, i think a near 20,000 attendance would be excellent.

The Munster Final was also in Cork with its big population whereas BOTH sets of fans Cavan and Donegal have to travel.
    If they were in a final every year they’d have even bigger crowds.

Sellout at 29,000.

physioman wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree about progressive. He had a system that in the most part worked for them. But he had no plan b. I think they still have the players to take them on. His system just wasn't flexible enough

Armagh and Cavan play a fast moving game which Monaghan just couldn't cope with while playing their best first half all year today. I think Cavan and Armagh will be handled by better organised teams though. Cavan have the ability to upset Donegal with that fast play, if Donegal don't set up right....but I think they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I've often wondered, when it's widely known in advance that games are going to be well below full capacity, Croke Park for any of the Leinster championship for example, why don't the GAA go to a couple of clubs in the participating counties and offer massively subsidised or even free tickets to all players up to under 14 or 16 or something? Change the club around each time to get all clubs involved. A half empty stadium looks pathetic

If little Mary came home from training on a Tuesday to say she could go to Croke Park/Pairc Ui Chaoimh that weekend for a fiver it would entice more parents to go, or clubs to organise buses and bump up crowds. Not only would the atmosphere be better but it gets more bums on seats and inspires a next generation. Also, if Mary's county wins, she might want to go to the next game too.

Might take a small hit but if the kids then buy a bar of chocolate or a drink etc it all adds up...plus, the GAA isn't all about money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement