Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Racing Coverage

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The lack of HD on ATR is due to the infrastructure at most Irish tracks. Something to do with cabling or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

This move has nothing whatsoever to do with punters or whats best in the medium to long term.

Irish racing has become totally dependent on the tv money, the likes of Sligo, Roscommon and many others wouldnt survive without it. The only issue is what ATR were offering for the contract renewal - if it was even 1 cent less than the current deal they were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Had RUK twice and it was crap, if they did two packages, one National Hunt and one Flat I might consider going back after this decision, to be paying €30 a month(or whatever it is) for 12 months when you are only interested in 6 months of racing isn't appealing at all especially given the awful state of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Must say the Leopardstown Legends pieces ATR are doing are brilliant. Need more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

The Mig wrote: »
    The lack of HD on ATR is due to the infrastructure at most Irish tracks. Something to do with cabling or something.

That can't be true, it's more down to ATR not bothering to invest. RTE cover all racing in HD at a variety of tracks, so it can't be a track specific issue.

When Setanta Sport was going you could subscribe to RUK as part of a package at the time - an Irish specific channel with a similar link up to eir could work well. Hoping for the best for this deal yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

RTE cover all racing in HD at a variety of tracks, so it can't be a track specific issue.

Ever see a race from Ballinarobe, Wexford, Dundalk, Roscommon, Clonmel, etc.. on RTE though?

Ever see a race from Ballinarobe, Wexford, Dundalk, Roscommon, Clonmel, etc.. on RTE though?

The Winning Post programme that showcases evening racing from some Irish racecourses is shown on Sky Sports in HD while simulcast in SD on ATR - I've seen Killarney Ballinrobe and courses like that on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

That can't be true, it's more down to ATR not bothering to invest. RTE cover all racing in HD at a variety of tracks, so it can't be a track specific issue.

When Setanta Sport was going you could subscribe to RUK as part of a package at the time - an Irish specific channel with a similar link up to eir could work well. Hoping for the best for this deal yet.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/horse-racing/armchair-irish-fans-left-behind-with-no-hd-on-horizon-until-2019-35352262.html

A quote from the above link

For ATR to have Irish racing in HD it must have all its British races – roughly double the Irish number – in HD too. And not only is there the ARC issue: SIS, which relays the Irish pictures, has not yet installed the necessary fibre cables at all Irish venues, something quite problematic in this regard.

The Winning Post programme that showcases evening racing from some Irish racecourses is shown on Sky Sports in HD while simulcast in SD on ATR - I've seen Killarney Ballinrobe and courses like that on it.

Just to qualify that - I'm no tech Geek but I'd imagine these pictures are probably "upscaled HD" not real HD but in any case they look better than the rubbish picture we get on ATR most of the time.

The Mig wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/horse-racing/armchair-irish-fans-left-behind-with-no-hd-on-horizon-until-2019-35352262.html

A quote from the above link

For ATR to have Irish racing in HD it must have all its British races – roughly double the Irish number – in HD too. And not only is there the ARC issue: SIS, which relays the Irish pictures, has not yet installed the necessary fibre cables at all Irish venues, something quite problematic in this regard.

Fair enough with regards the specific tracks - bit in bold just sounds like an excuse mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Chapman with what seems to be a goodbye and thank you tweet a little earlier, added to his no show on "On the Line" last night....
    Has he left the building?????

To hear the HRI come out today and defend their disgraceful sell out of Irish punters is sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

RUK say no second channel for racing from.them and Chelmsford also moving to RUK

At The Races will be gone after a year from the move at this rate.

Can't believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

At the races were pretty good. Can't see casual viewers subscribing to a service like racing UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Mr321 wrote: »
    RUK say no second channel for racing from.them and Chelmsford also moving to RUK

At The Races will be gone after a year from the move at this rate.

Can't believe it

Gone in a year !

Theyll be gone by the summer at this rate.

The retail contract is gone on 1/1/19 with Chelmsford & Irish meetings. More importantly the rights arm of ATR had a joint venture with RUK for the international rights via a station called SIS GBI which is gone in April.

This I guess is the saving one station and sacrificing another.

RUK's sister station is/was the commercial setup in Turf TV which lost out to SIS.

SIS is largely owned by the big bookies.

In turn SIS have sold the retail rights to RUK, rather than ATR. No one knows if there was any monetary gain. The Irish rights got a big pay off though according to the Racingpost. Wonder will it make its way to the tracks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Im probably repeating the same point a few others have but ATR will be missed and theres no way RUK can show Irish Racing without clashing with english meetings.. I could see viewers been left with Racing Replay as the main option to see the entire race because the split screen view will drive you up the wall. I can also see the freelance hosts jumping ship to cover the irish racing too so we might end up with the same faces covering it as we do now.. Id love for RUK to start another channel but in terms of costings it won't happen unless they hike up the sub cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@krustydoyle, Michael O Leary made that very point in the RP today.

According to the HRI/Racecources Assoc, they have been given assurances that it will not receive any less coverage and attenton.

Dont know how they can do that without setting up a second station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

STB. wrote: »
    @krustydoyle, Michael O Leary made that very point in the RP today.

According to the HRI/Racecources Assoc, they have been given assurances that it will not receive any less coverage and attenton.

Dont know how they can do that without setting up a second station.

Ah I didn't know that, i may look up that interview.. The coverage will surely be less unless they set up another channel. Unless they're idea of less coverage is the split screen option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,353 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=HRI-welcome-Racing-UK-deal&prid=188990
    For the first time, all races in Ireland will be broadcast in HD
    At least that is something.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

I'll miss the Irish Angle the most out of all ATRs programs. Richard Pugh going through all the up and coming P2P horses was great for adding to the horse tracker!

Envoi Allen will probably top the Cheltenham sale next week. Same trainer Colin Bowe who had Samrco. Very impressive debut: https://vimeo.com/254307070

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

This move was to happen three years ago but legal arguments and planning permission curtailed it then.The Initial deal was to buy the rights to Chelmsford and close Kempton[all weather] 50% of that has now been achieved with the closing of Kempton a formality.The Irish side of this agreement could have staggering consequences for small tracks/owners as HRI/RUK do not want to fund the smaller tracks.Tracks under their collective knifes are Sligo,Roscommon,Downpatrick,Dundalk[proposal 3 years ago to build a new all weather in Kildare with Naas mentioned].The funding of 9,000e per meeting from Sky helped these tracks develop their grounds as HRI withheld partial proportions of grants owed and 2018 will be at an all time low for these tracks as they got no mention in the programme going forward.The pr machine of HRI has been in full flow and their massaging of figures is akin to a dimly lit Chinese parlor at 8pm on a Friday night but refuse to take questions on the following.1.Why have 60% of syndicates left the sport in the last five years.2..Why have HRI seen fit to accommodate more graded races far in excess of the UK per head of horse population.3..Why can 5 owners on an ongoing basis take 80% of all prize monies afforded to graded races without HRI seeing the consequence.4..Are HRI aware of any horse owners in Ireland that have investments in RUK or its holding companies.5..The biggest employer of staff in racing in Ireland , Michael O Leary has recently said "this move is staggering incompetence and will have a huge detrimental effect on racing in years to come".If O Leary is against it who was for it and why.6..How can RUK cover Irish racing adequately with 38 UK tracks to cover.7..Were RUK behind the idea of staging the "Dublin racing festival"and will the idea of elite festivals be the norm going forward both nh/flat to the absolute detriment of the small owner/trainer/jockey/breeder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

From the Field online today:

The new agreement with RMG, which will take effect from January 1 2019 and run until the end of 2023, was ratified by the Association of Irish Racecourses (AIR) who, together with Horse Racing Ireland (HRI), have a deal regarding broadcasting rights with SIS.

HRI chief executive Brian Kavanagh said: "This deal is a very positive one and is in the best commercial interests of Irish racing.

"It secures income streams for media rights for the next six years and aligns all of our rights across all platforms with the same strong partners.

No pretence even that this is about anything except short term income stream. What will happen at next contract negotiation when ATR as we know it is gone and RUK have a total monopoly on day to day coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    From the Field online today:

The new agreement with RMG, which will take effect from January 1 2019 and run until the end of 2023, was ratified by the Association of Irish Racecourses (AIR) who, together with Horse Racing Ireland (HRI), have a deal regarding broadcasting rights with SIS.

HRI chief executive Brian Kavanagh said: "This deal is a very positive one and is in the best commercial interests of Irish racing.

"It secures income streams for media rights for the next six years and aligns all of our rights across all platforms with the same strong partners.

No pretence even that this is about anything except short term income stream. What will happen at next contract negotiation when ATR as we know it is gone and RUK have a total monopoly on day to day coverage?

They will get short shift from the government of the day when they go back looking for funds on the 1st day of 2024.

I says wrote: »
    They will get short shift from the government of the day when they go back looking for funds on the 1st day of 2024.

Unfortuneatly the "liar Kenny"has his hand prints all over this along with the whole of Munster TDs add in other bias then you see one of the best performing tracks in Ireland,Roscommon is doomed. Ive christened it"the Windsor of Ireland"because it gets only Mondays where the ****hole that is Kilbeggan gets Fridays/Saturdays.Look at Wexford a dump,Tramore a bigger dump,Ballinrobe [Kennys patch] got built a brand new stand, weigh room,parade ring and work done on the track by HRI on a designated tiny budget[not considering he [Kenny]got MacHale park upgraded Illegally [5m investment]ahead of Hyde Park,Roscommon for the failed attempt at the rugby World cup].Clonmel has been as corrupt as is possible[wont speak wrong of the dead],Tipperary or old Limerick Junction is a ****e track of epic proportions as a glass of water would make it heavy.Maybe HRI with their new found wealth[not withstanding all top stables are covered on all boards]could follow the drugs and the masking agents they use which is rampant beyond belief.

Unfortuneatly the "liar Kenny"has his hand prints all over this along with the whole of Munster TDs add in other bias then you see one of the best performing tracks in Ireland,Roscommon is doomed. Ive christened it"the Windsor of Ireland"because it gets only Mondays where the ****hole that is Kilbeggan gets Fridays/Saturdays.Look at Wexford a dump,Tramore a bigger dump,Ballinrobe [Kennys patch] got built a brand new stand, weigh room,parade ring and work done on the track by HRI on a designated tiny budget[not considering he [Kenny]got MacHale park upgraded Illegally [5m investment]ahead of Hyde Park,Roscommon for the failed attempt at the rugby World cup].Clonmel has been as corrupt as is possible[wont speak wrong of the dead],Tipperary or old Limerick Junction is a ****e track of epic proportions as a glass of water would make it heavy.Maybe HRI with their new found wealth[not withstanding all top stables are covered on all boards]could follow the drugs and the masking agents they use which is rampant beyond belief.Roscommon lost its ultra valuable Sunday because HRI told me after warning [I will go public for explaination]that it would clash with Roscommon GAA fixtures,OMG.I have had words with Mick Finneran[not capable of been a manager of a racecourse imo based on HRI exceptance].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

antietam wrote: »
    Unfortuneatly the "liar Kenny"has his hand prints all over this along with the whole of Munster TDs add in other bias then you see one of the best performing tracks in Ireland,Roscommon is doomed. Ive christened it"the Windsor of Ireland"because it gets only Mondays where the ****hole that is Kilbeggan gets Fridays/Saturdays.Look at Wexford a dump,Tramore a bigger dump,Ballinrobe [Kennys patch] got built a brand new stand, weigh room,parade ring and work done on the track by HRI on a designated tiny budget[not considering he [Kenny]got MacHale park upgraded Illegally [5m investment]ahead of Hyde Park,Roscommon for the failed attempt at the rugby World cup].Clonmel has been as corrupt as is possible[wont speak wrong of the dead],Tipperary or old Limerick Junction is a ****e track of epic proportions as a glass of water would make it heavy.Maybe HRI with their new found wealth[not withstanding all top stables are covered on all boards]could follow the drugs and the masking agents they use which is rampant beyond belief.Roscommon lost its ultra valuable Sunday because HRI told me after warning [I will go public for explaination]that it would clash with Roscommon GAA fixtures,OMG.I have had words with Mick Finneran[not capable of been a manager of a racecourse imo based on HRI exceptance].

The forsale signs will start appearing on tracks when this deal is over to fund the rest of the industry

The forsale signs will start appearing on tracks when this deal is over to fund the rest of the industry
    What industry does HRI want.Pour unwanted monies into the accounts of billionaires or try and help the persons/syndicates off low standing.HRI are not willing to promote low level racing as they flately refuse to debate this Issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Its already happening for those tracks as RUK say they won't be covering them.
    No separate channel from them so they will be either splitting up the screens or times will be made suit them best they can from their tracks they cover eh.

What's ATR going to start to try and save it? Look for greyhound coverage, as we all stayed it'll start sinking but as I said before the excellent website for form study etc they have will be gone to!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,353 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's funny. Virtually everyone involved with Irish racing (including McManus and O'Leary) have come out and said this is a bad thing. Two of the few exceptions have been Ted and Ruby Walsh - both of whom are in the pay of RacingUK. Horse racing has provided very good careers to these two money hungry individuals, but they are quick to throw dirt in its face for a few lousy pounds. Shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

famagusta wrote: »
    This is unbelievable news, putting racing out of reach of the normal punter even more. Terrible decision. I would say 90%of lads on here don't have racing uk. I don't anyway.

So punters can pay for ye're bets but not to watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

So punters can pay for ye're bets but not to watch it?

What?

Advertisement