Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campervans not wanted in North Kerry

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

gozunda wrote: »
    Solutions not difficulties please. Self policing was just one suggestion - if there are better then do list them. Unfortunately the present debacle looks like there will be increasing restrictions on campervaning especially if other co co follow suit.

The issue at hand is not dogs or babies. No two or wrongs will make it right. "A few miscreant motorhome users" may result in restrictions on all.

Why the worry about those who refuse to abide by common decency norms, there are laws available The Litter Pollution Act 1997 under which such activity can be prosecuted, why the reticence to use it. IMHO the County Councils are just too lazy or else using the litter question as an attempt to force business into their cronies camping sites :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Why the worry about those who refuse to abide by common decency norms, there are laws available The Litter Pollution Act 1997 under which such activity can be prosecuted, why the reticence to use it. IMHO the County Councils are just too lazy or else using the litter question as an attempt to force business into their cronies camping sites :mad::mad::mad:

Because Co Co are starting to restrict campervan use - that's why. There is little point in getting mad unless something proactive can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The simple solution is to provide an alternative to parking in car parks. There is enough unused council land in Kerry (and the rest of Ireland) to provide modest overnight parking. The same sort of ban happen in an area of Co. Waterford, now the local restaurants and shops are up in arms due to the lost revenue plus I belive the local tidy towns committee have lost their annual donation from the motorhomers.

Fine - I know. Unfortunately we are not in mainland Europe and France etc can beat us in just about most public services.

Is there a campaign to lobby for such amienities at present? I havn't came across this if this is the case

Again what can be done now? ie Before campervans get banned from just about anywhere by co co reacting to the actions of those who are destroying it for everyone else?

The Phoenix Motorhome Club and The Irish Motor Caravanners Club (IMCC) are particularly active.

Thanks to them and others we have Cobh, Midleton, Sneem, Bandon Buncrana, Askeaton and Crossmolina currently up and running.
    In the pipeline are Youghal, Ardmore, New Ross, Enniscorthy, Ballydehob and many others either under preliminary discussions or past the planning stage and awaiting construction.
    There are also over half a dozen in Northern Ireland
    Why not have a look here for more info http://www.motorcaravanningireland.org/

Finally, the only reaction from Co.Co's. to litter pollution should be PROSECUTION of offenders and not the VICTIMISATION of innocents.

I'm out of this particular discussion now as it's getting a bit repetitive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

When it comes to the dumping of ordinary rubbish, without a doubt there is more dumped by ordinary motorists and pedestrians than by camper owners. In the area where I live, all country roads, I see plenty of it, yet I've never seen another camper in the area, and how often do you hear of a prosecutation taking place?, once in a blue moon and then usually for fly tipping.
    Legislation states that motorhome owners are not even allowed to let waste water out of the sink into the road/gutter, yet if a motorist stops by the side of the road, has a drink of tea/coffee from a flask and throws the dregs from the cup into the gutter, as far as I'm aware, he/she is not breaking any law.

As I said earlier, the vast majority of us behave correctly yet some people want to tar us all with the same brush.

Like niloc, I've had enough of the bickering going on in this thread.

Thanks to the op who started this thread but I'm now unfollowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Because Co Co are starting to restrict campervan use - that's why. There is little point in getting mad unless something proactive can be done.

You mean Nth Kerry and a few other like minded places.

I'm afraid that on this forum it's possible to 'get directly at' people with Motorhomes and Camper vans and hold them to account for bad behaviour by some fellow citizens who happen to have a similar vehicle.

In the same way as a discussion would open in any forum you'd be guaranteed to hit home if you had a personal gripe and you could exaggerate to your hearts content to magnify the issue.

Fact is, its not up to owners of a particular type of vehicle to 'police' the illegal actions of people who own a similar type of vehicle.

If law is being broken its up to every citizen to report it and in my opinion its no different to Fly Tipping, Driving without tax or insurance, Tax dodging, Burglary and any number of offences.

I don't intend to become a 'warden' for Nth Kerry Councillors or any Councillors but if I saw what you say you saw then I'd be phoning the Guards not giving grief to somebody who happens to drive a similar vehicle.

I've had enough of this 'lynching' for the sins of others.

pastense wrote: »
    You mean Nth Kerry and a few other like minded places.

I'm afraid that on this forum it's possible to 'get directly at' people with Motorhomes and Camper vans and hold them to account for bad behaviour by some fellow citizens who happen to have a similar vehicle.

In the same way as a discussion would open in any forum you'd be guaranteed to hit home if you had a personal gripe and you could exaggerate to your hearts content to magnify the issue.

Excuse please? No one is 'getting at people with camper vans'. The is no 'personal gripe"

The incident described indeed involved a 'camper van' which was observed and reported for the behaviour described.

Do you somehow believe that those with camper vans etc users / owners are immune / could in no way ever be involved in disposing of sh1te as described ???
    ..Fact is, its not up to owners of a particular type of vehicle to 'police' the illegal actions of people who own a similar type of vehicle.

If law is being broken its up to every citizen to report it and in my opinion its no different to Fly Tipping, Driving without tax or insurance, Tax dodging, Burglary and any number of offences.

I don't intend to become a 'warden' for Nth Kerry Councillors or any Councillors but if I saw what you say you saw then I'd be phoning the Guards not giving grief to somebody who happens to drive a similar vehicle.

I've had enough of this 'lynching' for the sins of others.

I will stand over what was witnessed and which was reported. How do you propose to 'phone the Guards but somehow at the same time not give grief to somebody who happens to drive a similar vehicle.'???
    Should we bury out heads in the (rather smelly) sand ?

Yes It's ironic that N Kerry Co Co are reporting similar issues. And yes it can be ignored if you like - however what was been discussed was possible suggestions for solutions before all camper vans get tarred with the same.

I cannot understand the level of denial for any possible bad behaviour. Tbh what I have seen here is enough to believe that there is very little future for any cooperative action of any form to overcome existing problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thread cleaned up, several posts removed and now please ...

Gentlemen (ladies?) ..please stick to the topic and refrain from personal attacks and/or accusations, Thank you

Excuse please? No one is 'getting at people with camper vans'. The is no 'personal gripe"

The incident described indeed involved a 'camper van' which was observed and reported for the behaviour described.

Do you somehow believe that those with camper vans etc users / owners are immune / could in no way ever be involved in disposing of sh1te as described ???

I will stand over what was witnessed and which was reported. How do you propose to 'phone the Guards but somehow at the same time not give grief to somebody who happens to drive a similar vehicle.'???

I cannot understand the level of denial for any possible bad behaviour. Tbh what I have seen here is enough to believe that there is very little future for any cooperative action of any form to overcome existing problems .

I just saw an Articulated truck exceeding the speed limit and being driven in a reckless manner while throwing bags of rubbish out the window, so here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to demand that all truck drivers should put a stop to this kind of stuff. I'm going to shift the responsibility for all truck offences onto other truck drivers.

That is plainly ridiculous but it's what some people seem to expect of Motorhome owners.

I just saw an Articulated truck exceeding the speed limit and being driven in a reckless manner while throwing bags of rubbish out the window, so here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to demand that all truck drivers should put a stop to this kind of stuff. I'm going to shift the responsibility for all truck offences onto other truck drivers.

That is plainly ridiculous but it's what some people seem to expect of Motorhome owners.

Another wrong does not make anything right.

Yes I agree it is not fair however 'Articulated truck drivers' are not being threatened with further restrictions as detailed by the OP.

So what to do? Nothing? or something ?
    There appears to be some cohesion amongst motor homes / camper van organisations so I suppose the question then is what can the majority do to prevent a minority spoiling it for everyone else. Any ideas?

Edit: to add - I'm new to this hence putting the question out there. I do not wish to put any negative spin on it.

• Advertisement

Another wrong dies not make anything right.

Yes I agree it is not fair however 'Articulated truck drivers' are not being threatened with further restrictions as detailed by the OP.

There appears to be some cohesion amongst motor homes / camper van organisations so I suppose the question then is what can the majority do to prevent a minority spoiling it for everyone else. Any ideas?

Fresh out, unless you are suggesting http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/take-the-law-into-your-own-hands and being law-abiding people you are addressing here it's not an option in reality.

Modedit:
    off-topic accusations removed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Niloc1951

fair warning, pls give it a rest

...around here it's me who decides who is and who isn't a troll, alright? :D

Another wrong dies not make anything right.

There appears to be some cohesion amongst motor homes / camper van organisations so I suppose the question then is what can the majority do to prevent a minority spoiling it for everyone else. Any ideas?.

Just to let you know, I'm a member of a Motorhome Club and that club actively discourages 'Wild Camping' so I cant see that the members would want to get involved in any cohesion on this issue.

The Articulated truck analogy seemed to fly completely over your head there.

I have an idea and for the third and last time, report all law breaking to the appropriate authority.

Just to let you know, I'm a member of a Motorhome Club and that club actively discourages 'Wild Camping' so I cant see that the members would want to get involved in any cohesion on this issue.

The Articulated truck analogy seemed to fly completely over your head there.

I have an idea and for the third and last time, report all law breaking to the appropriate authority.

I replied in the sense that in my (brief) experience this (wild camping) does happen.

It is unfortunate that it looks like all will be tarred as a consequence of the actions of a few

I got the analogy - I just don't think it is relevant in this instance

I agree about the reporting (see earlier post) but perhaps there are other means too. just putting it out but tbh not sure what can be done to not only stop such activities but more importantly to halt restrictions on motor homes / camper vans being put in place. This is the important bit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

So, if you have a campervan are you better off going elsewhere rather than Kerry?

From what I have read here it seems that if you are not paying and staying in a B&B or similar you can expect resentment and hostility in kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

peasant wrote: »
    Niloc1951

fair warning, pls give it a rest

...around here it's me who decides who is and who isn't a troll, alright? :D

In fairness he's gone on and on about it which is killing the tread all the last few days posts have been responses to or from him.

But I've fixed for me by adding them to my ignore list
    (Click on name, brings you to profile page, click on lists, click on add to ignore list.)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Not trying to incite anyone or get anyone's back up BUT, if KCC are that blinkered and don't want my money then fine, there are lots of places in the rest of Ireland that do want my custom. We were planning on heading down there for a week in September but not now. We will instead take our money and spend it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

se conman wrote: »
    Not trying to incite anyone or get anyone's back up BUT, if KCC are that blinkered and don't want my money then fine, there are lots of places in the rest of Ireland that do want my custom. We were planning on heading down there for a week in September but not now. We will instead take our money and spend it elsewhere.

Agree with that. Though in fairness they haven't wanted people wild camping since the OP 6 years ago so everybody should have gotten the hint by now. It's a pity that this has resulted from some isolated incidents.

By the way if anybody has the address of the B&B's that will put me and my family up for the night and give us breakfast the next morning for the same price as a stay in a campsite please let me know, as I would like to move there permanently!!! :D

Apart from the front page there is a charge for reading it, as far as I can see. As we're not welcome why should any of us want to pay for their paper?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

For the last 12 months , or more , I have been telling our customers ( Irish and Overseas ) of the restrictions and general unwelcoming of motorhomes in the Kerry region.
    Lots of them have taken my advice on board and avoided the Kerry region .
    Now I admit we are only a small rental company and the loss of our customers money wouldn't be a huge blow to the overhyped , hotel / BnB ruled , tourist trap Kerry region but I know several other areas along the west coast were very happy to see our customers pulling in for an overnight stay , a meal , a refill of diesel , restocking of groceries , a beer or a visit to the local attractions .
    If Kerry so blatantly doesn't want the motorhomers then why would you bother going there ? Mayo has everything that Kerry has as far as scenery or friendly locals , pubs , villages and restaurants are concerned . It just doesn't have the crowds of tourists .
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Apart from the front page there is a charge for reading it, as far as I can see. As we're not welcome why should any of us want to pay for their paper?.

I got to it by signing in with my email and name but it is no charge.
    When you get in you need to scan to the right across quite a few screens to find the article.

I got to it by signing in with my email and name but it is no charge.
    When you get in you need to scan to the right across quite a few screens to find the article.

My bad:o. Charge is for Kerry paper only, press reader is free to join. Trouble is I've a list as long as my arm of web sites that I've signed up to and am having trouble keeping track of passwords (limited brain capacity):).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 munsterabu

hi lads there is a podcast on subject on radio Kerry cant post link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 white van man pyh90tm

kerry can stick it where the sun don't shine, i won't be dropping by during my next trip to the emerald isle

Advertisement