Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite places/campsites in Ireland

Options
  • 22-01-2007 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

My all time favourites would be the Dingle peninsula, closely followed by Beara.
    Being from the Northwest, both places are unfortunately out of my reach for short weekend trips.

So Donegal gets visited a lot, particularly the areas around Glencolumbcille, Ardara and Glenties (there are still a few nooks and crannies left which I haven't explored)

Also have been to Malin Head a few times (breathtaking place) and have left a few places unvisited up there as a reason to come back some time.

Lately I've "discovered" Leitrim, especially the area along the Shannon Erne waterway (some absolutely lovely overnight places there) and the mountains around Loch Allen ...I can feel a few more spontaneous trips into that direction coming up as well.

Can't wait for the weather to get better !

What are your favourite spots?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

It's nice to do the Cliffs of Moher, Burren etc and park up in Doolin, right across from the pub! Although I have to say there are too many houses now in the area.

I will have to get some good wild camping spots off you for Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Leitrim has a great little campsite called Battlebridge. Its open all year round. Its right on the canal (pub is on site). Great on a winters night beside the fire chatting to all the other campers and comparing motorhomes!! My next choice in the summer is the camp site in roundwood, Avoca (church carpark) redcross (of course) and a bit further down the road is kilmuckridge (fab sandy beach). Another place to go would be around Malin head. In Culdaff there is a great little pub on the outskirts (right beside beach) its perfect for wild camping. Donegal is also a great spot in the summer either wild camping or camp site. Theres so many more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Dingle Peninsula, without a doubt.
    Castlegregory for the surfing, and Minard Castle near Lispole for the memories.

Have not ventured north as yet but hopefully will this summer. Malin Head sounds lovely. The old T25 is undergoing a bit of an overhaul atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

We discovered Caherdaniel (Co. Kerry) last year. Possibly the nicest beach we've ever seen. Can't wait to make a return visit this year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

posted by Southern Belle in the "Happy Easter" thread:
    We went to Tralee and stayed at Woodlands Caravan & Camping Park - €24 p.n. for 2 ad + 2 kids w/electric hook-up. We were amazed at the amount of motorhomes - we reckon they out-numbered the caravans! Makes a change from when we bought ours 4 years ago - you might see 3 or 4 on a site.

posted by Malta1 in the same thread:
    Went to Campsite about 3km from Bennestbridge Kilkenny
    44 euro for 2 nights (2 adults and 2 kids - 1 under 2) including 6A hook up. Great weather and great time

We stayed at the Nore Valley site. They do not take bookings so it is first come, first served. Most weekends, I would say that there would be plenty of room there but over the long weekend it was packed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We have stayed at Renvyle Beach Caravan Park once or twice.

It is a small site (without any rented mobile homes) and the facilities are a bit basic. Also it's a bit off from the next village for shopping and pubs ...

but it's nice and quiet and the beach directly in front of the site is just fantastic, as are the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Bennets Bridge/Nore Valley - top marks for things to do for the kids, most excellent (and good value) bread, pies & pizza from the kitchen, and a safe environment since it is well off the beaten path so passing traffic. I have lost track of the number of times we have been there over the last few years. Samuel keeps everyone in order and makes sure everything is operating according to plan. Our kids love it - mini-golf, feeding the animals, collecting eggs, straw-jump, maze and go-karts (real pedal powered ones) are on the agenda every time we go. Just beware that (I think for their religious observance reasons) some of the attractions don't operate on Sundays, but there's still plenty to do. There's not a lot to do for 20-somethings with no kids . . . unless they like feeding animals, etc . . .

Morriscastle Strand in Kilmuckridge in Wexford - right by the beach and hard to beat for that reason alone. It's a big park and it seems to have lots of 'long-term' caravans in the supposedly touring section, but there is still plenty of room available for drive-up visitors. For some very strange reason they have a grand total of 1 tent pitch and something like 100 campervan/caravan pitches. I have to assume that they have had bad experiences with tenters before, but unfortunately it has stopped us from visiting it before with some tenter friends. For some strange reason they also have non-standard tap fittings, so filling up the water tank there involves driving up *to their house* for a tap with a standard push-on hose fitting. But this is still in my list of favourites for the beach access and the overall facilities.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Staying at Baginbun head overnight.
    Have to say that it was a lovely quiet spot

One other camper pulled in and there was a couple with a tent there as well.
    If you want to get away from it all......it is a spot that I would recommend. The only down side is that the carpark (if that is what you would call it) is tiny and on a fine summers day, you wouldnt have a hope of getting down there in a camper until late evening

Definately a spot that we will retutn to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Nagles in Doolin are a bit pricey but the scenery around there is fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I'll put up a list of nice places when I get a chance, and when I find my notebook!
    Few that spring to mind:
    Mayo - great empty beaches - rains a lot - but - go past Belmullet - turn left, or right - it's all good.

Go to Louisburgh and beyond and South till you can't go any further - magic. If you get to Leenaun and you meet tourist buses, knitted jumpers hanging outside shops run by English people, and souvenir tea-towels you've gone way too far.

The further remote parts of Clare - South and West.
    All the peninsulas in Cork.
    Seven Heads in Cork - most people dash by here - there are gems to be discovered and not so far from Cork or Kinsale. Dunworly is a favourite - park in usually deserted car park on cul-de-sac road with picnic area attached, up on small cliff, with waves breaking all night below you - lulling you to sleep - excellent! Pity Otto's Creative Catering nearby is now closed - expensive but nice for a treat when they could fit you in.... It's a nice place and all credit to the locals for the work they put in - so be nice and tidy more than your share!

Waterford - the Copper Coast - great smooth rolling roads (you'll get unbelievable mpg here) - Bunmahon etc. - alas the County Council have an unwelcoming attitude to campers - many KB's (height restriction barriers - what do YOU call them?) and dogs banned in many places so you need to be creative.

Ring penninsula well worth exploring - Helick Head etc.
    Tip: when heading out towards Helvick from the main Dungarvan-Cork road, take a left just before the Garda Station past the Irish College. Watch out for a Car Park sign on right - when you head down the lane to the car park ignore the No Overnight Parking notice 'cos you are going to slip LEFT across the little stream onto a huge sandy area - it's the bit that eventually stretches almost all the way across to Dungarvan. Here you can have a BBQ, run dogs, ride a bike - and certainly out of season there's almost nobody around. Think there's a water tap in or near the car park (where you are NOT parked so....)

Ardmore is overrated and like Blackpool in Summer - avoid.

Ring of Kerry - even with power steering, lots of time and out of season it's hard work and (to me ) overrated and Killarney is expensive and unwelcoming. Caherdaniel area is good though.

Ringaskiddy: if you are heading for the Cork-Roscoff ferry there's buckets of parking space beside the ferry building. Go past the place where you line up to board and park on the right. Quiet (particularly now since the only other ferry to Swansea is kaput) and good place to walk dogs (many rabbits so could be fun getting the dogs to come back.....)

Most of the places we go ain't on TomTom or any other one with TeleAtlas maps such as LIDL's - you need Navteq maps as on Garmins, Route 66, (or maybe ALDI's one?).
    Next year I intend to start building up GPS points of interest for all these places and will post them here or in the GPS forum, or add them to the database others are building.
    db.

• Advertisement

If you are a cheapskate like me you'll notice that it's getting harder to find somewhere on or near the Motorways in UK to rest or park overnight. Most of the motorway service areas are charging if you stay more than 3 hours and I have heard of clamping and serious enforcement (I haven't been hit myself yet).
    Next time you are over there, drop in to a Tesco and ask at Customer Service for a guide to Tesco locations. There's a glossy printed booklet listing ALL the Tesco locations, maps to them, opening hours etc. Can be very handy as many of them are conveniently located near Motorway junctions. Hence you know you will find a massive carpark, probably cheap fuel, and groceries and stuff.
    Technically you can't park overnight there, but I have found no problem, especially at the 24 hour stores, if you pick a quiet spot. Only once did security apologetically tell me that I shouldn't have parked overnight - as I left.

Occasionally you will get boyracers doing donuts in the car parks late at night - ah yes, I remember youth!

IKEA and some of the retail parks are other possibilities.
    db

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

With the season heading in our direction just thought I'd share my fav sites (I'm a lowly caravan person)

Woodlands Park Tralee, Co. Kerry - site is spotlessly clean & friendly. Some lovely beaches within reasonable driving distance (esp. Ballyheigue 11mls)

Hungry Hill, Adrigole, Co. Cork - perfect for the quiet getaway in the middle of nowhere - with the added attraction of having a pub on site.

by far my favourite is
    Eagle Point, Ballylickey, Co. Cork - this is a well run site. I spent the month of August there last season, and the SUN appeared. Waking up every morning to the views of Bantry Bay, it's like heaven on earth. There is a supermarket/garage across the road, but it's only a short drive to Bantry for supermarket shopping. Unfortunately there are no sandy beaches, but if you can overlook the stones water sports are great.
    Eagle Point is one of the more expensive sites to stay in, but imo worth it, showers are free which kinda makes up for that. :):)

Happy Camping all, have a wonderful season 2008 :)

Roll on Easter Weekend - Killarney (I think) for me.

Hi RAFC - I have nothing but admiration for someone pulling a caravan around Irish roads, particularly on the hairier bits along the South and West Coasts!

Adrigole is interesting - must read Hungry Hill again! There's good wild camping down near the beach over to the East - great for dogs and exploring kids. Drinking water and a reasonably clean loo (and shower maybe?) over to the West side of the beach.

Busy enough place in August but everyone seems to be relaxed and happy.

db.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Hi RAFC - I have nothing but admiration for someone pulling a caravan around Irish roads, particularly on the hairier bits along the South and West Coasts!

Adrigole is interesting - must read Hungry Hill again! There's good wild camping down near the beach over to the East - great for dogs and exploring kids. Drinking water and a reasonably clean loo (and shower maybe?) over to the West side of the beach.

Busy enough place in August but everyone seems to be relaxed and happy.

db.
    Is that Alihees (sp?) by any chance, only did a day trip there once, couldn't really be without electricity (battery isn't great), but it is a beautiful spot. Man-made beach, lovely pubs, would love to try it sometime. Kids have camped there with Caravan Club on teenage outing and had a ball.

I don't mind the caravan pulling, cos the hubby does it :), don't think I'd have the 'balls' for it :D. Has got to be the best buy we ever made, can't wait for the season to start.

Do try Hungry Hill, it's family run, lovely and clean - no sandy beach around but thats a minor detail, not far from Glengariff, and the pub is a bonus.

Quite strict on closing time, but no problem serving you 2/3 if you take them away and bring the glasses back the next day. Night time session on site is no problem either, nothing like getting the guitars etc out (if, unlike me, you're musical).

You are right - it's Alihees I was thinking of - must keep up my resolution to keep a log of the good (and the bad) places and log 'em with GPS when I finally buy one.

Yes I gather the beach is made from the residue of the tin mines?

Don't know why but though I liked tenting, and later pulled a trailer tent through Ireland and France, I went on from these to a campervan but never felt any pull (no pun intended) towards a caravan. Odd - maybe it's memories of Father Ted style tiny old caravans and rainy days or something....

db.

I do hope, eventually, to move on to a camper, but for now the caravan suits well. We can pull up, set up and head to the shop in the car - no disturbance. The thought of having to clear the whole place, put everything away just for a bottle of milk is not a tempting one :)

I do think though that when its just the two of us (sounds like a song :D), no kids that the camper would suit that bit better. I love the extra space the awning gives the caravan, thats my room early morning while the kids are asleep and in the evening for a bottle or two when they go to bed.

You're right about the beach in Alihees, it was from the mines - went swimming there while we were there and the water gets very deep all of a sudden, not very safe for young kids/weak swimmers, life jackets are a must there really, but they have a family of dolphins who, apparantly, return every year.

Like Father Ted though, there's nothing like a good game of hide and seek or an Irish dancing session :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Battlebridge in Leitrim is a nice campsite, we have been there twice. once in December '07 and then In January '08, some great place to walk in the Co. Leitrim area :), the Lough Key forest park is a nice place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

CamperMan wrote: »
    Battlebridge in Leitrim is a nice campsite, we have been there twice. once in December '07 and then In January '08, some great place to walk in the Co. Leitrim area :), the Lough Key forest park is a nice place!!

So Battlebridge is open all year round?? I've been looking for a suitable place for the first real outing of the MH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

*Kol* wrote: »
    So Battlebridge is open all year round?? I've been looking for a suitable place for the first real outing of the MH!!

Ye. open all year round, we stopped there over the christmas holiday, from the 23rd of December to the 31st of December......, we went in the MH, had no problems down the narrow lanes in Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daddyderek

the hide away in skibbereen just love it a good place to chill out ,also ballinacourty house in the glen of arehlow has been taken over by the last owners daughter shes doing a good job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Spent last weekend in Bruckless (Donegal) at The Ridgefort Inn with our motorhome. The owner (who is actually the Mayor of Donegal) has set up his carpark for Motorhomes and more than welcomes all motorhomers to visit. He has a lovely motorhome sign on his wall which is seldom seen!! The staff in the hotel are lovely and great grub/entertainment too. Hes starting to organise a few rallies there over the summer/winter. Its open all year round so at least its another place to go when the camp sites are closed or just want somewhere to go for a few drinks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I'm looking for somewhere for tomorrow evening (we've had loads of days out this week, but still haven't done an overnight) - myself and possibly 4 children... thinking of giving Adrigole a try out - is it "child friendly"??

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 superman2

One of my favourite sites is Mannix Point in Cahirciveen. Mortimer the site owner is one of the friendliest I have ever met. He is only too pleased to offer tourist information on the area. The views are breathtaking There is a campers sitting room with a turf fire and his only condition would apear to be, keep the fire lighting and last out, have to make sure that the cats Whiskey and Brandy are out and turn off the lights before you head for your camper/motorhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Also has wifi on site.

Bido:)

Adrigole was great for one night and 4 kids.... the site was quiet (probably time of year)... they got to play soccer for a few hours, then I was able to leave them in the van and stand outside the pub for a pint, whilst being able to watch that they weren't pulling the van to pieces... (20 yards from pub to van).

Adrigole is also great if you don't want to be contactable - no mobile reception at site and also no 3g or other reception on my palm treo...

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Chris

where is Adrigole ?
    Bido :)

On the Beara Peninsula - Halfway between Glengarriff and Castletownbere.

There's a sea kayaking/sailing centre there (www.westcorksailing.com), a few pubs, fantastic sea views, good walking (Hungry Hill - not that I've climbed it yet) and one or two good eating places, good sea fishing etc etc....

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pathfinder1

The Glen of Aherlow Caravan Park is a Caravan Club recommended site, well worth a visit. A short walk to the hotel for a pint. Ideal for walking in the area. George & Rosaline Drew very friendly and have a very clean well run site. Notice the flowers set around the trees at the entrance to the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ButlinSalesman

Hey,

Anyone know of a campsite near Loughrea or Portumna? I've been googling but none seem to be nearby... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There's one on the Portumna side of Mountshannon about a two km out, I haven't stayed there but I believe it's quiet nice and on the waters edge.

Advertisement