Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Blood Sport' Observer Sports Monthly article on MMA

• 29-06-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

There was a long article on MMA in this yesterday's Observer Sports Monthly.

Full text here: 'Blood Sport' - Observer sports monthly

Reasonably well researched and written, but it's written by Kevin Mitchell, primarily a boxing writer, who seems to find it distasteful.

Not the worst article, but a bit sensationalist all the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

TBH I got bored reading it, he just seems against it. He talks of MMA(or more specifically UFC) fans not knowing anything about the art of boxing or knowing the name sugar ray robinson, but then quotes someone's opinion of MMA being "human cockfighting" and basically describes it as a brawl involving no skill.

I wonder if he watched Machida pick apart Evans and if what his opinions of that were.

I wonder how much research actually was done :confused:
    When UFC came to London in February, 5 million Americans sat up through the night to watch it live on Spike TV.
    Surely if a live event from London was shown in America it would be on early/mid afternoon.....I wonder why they stayed up all night :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Eh, why should fans of one sport have an indept knowledge of the history another?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It was not that bad an article from a non fan in fairness-if anything he put Boxing down more than anything!

Proabaly buying too much into the Dana hype and comparing the 2 sports does not really work anyway, most big PPV in MMA are from stacked cards where PPV in Boxing is usually based around 1 fight and when its big we all know its massive.

60,000 fans payed to go see the Klitscko v Chagaev fight in germany and that was a late replacement fight and on the Germany ufc card i heard that the US Army where given 4000 tickets to fill seats for it.

The main thing is that it just shows how mainstream MMA is becoming or has become, the supplements in the gym have hathaway in his MMA gear on the ad, that would be unheard of a couple of years ago.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

It was an intereesting enough article. Reasonably well balanced given that it was been written from a boxing perspective. No major insights though. More lamentation at the demise of boxing, than bitterness at the rise of MMA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dragan wrote: »
    Eh, why should fans of one sport have an indept knowledge of the history another?

inept or indepth? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

dunkamania wrote: »
    It was an intereesting enough article. Reasonably well balanced given that it was been written from a boxing perspective. No major insights though. More lamentation at the demise of boxing, than bitterness at the rise of MMA

I'd agree with this, although sometimes his bitterness is completely explicit.

There's an interesting 'debate' between Joe Rogan and Lou DiBella on youtube. Here:

Seems the embed tool may not be working. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKx41UdCj0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some of it is a load of ****e, but I have to agree that the problem boxing has is itself, not UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

amacachi wrote: »
    Some of it is a load of ****e, but I have to agree that the problem boxing has is itself, not UFC.

to be honest, i thought it was an ok artivle but a little boring.
    he hardly captured the spirit of the sport and came accross more like a boxing fan trying to justify watching UFC

Advertisement