Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slayer Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

While I'll be sad to see Slayer call it a day when the tour wraps, I'll be glad to see Gary redirect his attention to Exodus and the follow up to Blood In, Blood Out..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I'm interested to see what Kerry does next. Tom is done though everything I've read is he's had enough.

Be interesting to see where Paul ends up too...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya I'm interested to see what Kerry does next. Tom is done though everything I've read is he's had enough.

I would not write off King continuing with the Slayer name... From what I read back around when Hanneman first got sick, King was very much "the show goes on"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

mloc123 wrote: »
    I would not write off King continuing with the Slayer name... From what I read back around when Hanneman first got sick, King was very much "the show goes on"

Nah I wouldn't listen to Slayer without Tom Araya, bands rarely stay relevant once their lead singer departs and the albums and performances that come after just become mediocre. Tom just has a presence onstage. I mean, without Tom there would just be one longtime original member (Kerry King) and Bostoph that has stepped in and out over the years and Gary Holt, it would be a joke with a new singer.

It sucks that they are retiring but I'd rather see them retire than see them go on without Araya. Kerry will probably form a supergroup, maybe him and Phil Anselmo or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Kerry will probably form a supergroup, maybe him and Phil Anselmo or something?

Man that would be the grouchiest metal band of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Hoping there is a small chance they'll be added to the Slane line-up. Think they are playing some festival in France/Belgium the week after so it would be possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Found this one on Youtube, Obituary "Slowly We Rot" onstage cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Degag wrote: »
    Hoping there is a small chance they'll be added to the Slane line-up. Think they are playing some festival in France/Belgium the week after so it would be possible!!

they are playing Graspop in Belgium alright on Friday 21st of June, maybe they are just finishing up with the festival circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

they are playing Graspop in Belgium alright on Friday 21st of June, maybe they are just finishing up with the festival circuit

Can't imagine the majority of slane goers would enjoy Slayer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

so far the support acts for slane is a sh1tfest need someone good like slayer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

mean gene wrote: »
    so far the support acts for slane is a sh1tfest need someone good like slayer

Did you not go last week?

Gary Holt temporarily leaving Slayer's European Tour, former Machine Head guitarist Phil Demmel is stepping in while Gary takes a leave of absence.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq5t1LTAJg5/

Well that small chance is pretty much gone as they're playing Rock am Ring.

Final show on tonight. Real end of an era and the first of the Big 4 to hang up their boots.

May have to listen to a few songs later on for the nostalgia factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭thebourke

listening to slayer at the moment....cant believe its the end....first saw them at donnington 92...one of my mates was at the gig last night in the LA Forum....legends..what more can i say....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Final show on tonight. Real end of an era and the first of the Big 4 to hang up their boots.

May have to listen to a few songs later on for the nostalgia factor

Ah Motley Crue done a 'final show' and are now back

Maybe Netflix might bring out a slayer biopic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ah Motley Crue done a 'final show' and are now back

Maybe Netflix might bring out a slayer biopic

Nah, think this is the real deal, Tom has been wanting to retire for some time and had to be heavily persuaded to do such a long farewell tour

Slayer just ended. ****
    What a band, enjoy retirement Tom. I have a lot of respect for someone going out at the top.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nah, think this is the real deal, Tom has been wanting to retire for some time and had to be heavily persuaded to do such a long farewell tour

I would tend to agree. At the same time though i wouldn't be surprised if they did some festival gigs in a few years if they were offered big bucks to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

rob316 wrote: »
    Slayer just ended. ****
    What a band, enjoy retirement Tom. I have a lot of respect for someone going out at the top.

To be fair they are 20 years past their best but I'm not complaining, they continued to put out some decent stuff in the last two decades. Their 4 albums Hell Awaits , Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are amongst the best 4 albums ever released by a metal band.
    I'm glad to have grown up when these albums were being release, hearing them while newly released and the reviews weren't even published was great.

To be fair they are 20 years past their best but I'm not complaining, they continued to put out some decent stuff in the last two decades. Their 4 albums Hell Awaits , Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are amongst the best 4 albums ever released by a metal band.
    I'm glad to have grown up when these albums were being release, hearing them while newly released and the reviews weren't even published was great.

I think most of this genre peaked in the 80's but I was more referring to the live act. Its a top live act still, saw them a few times in the last couple years and they haven't missed a beat. Incredibly tight musically.
    If they wanted they could tour another 10 years and go at it half arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Personally, I think when Jeff died they should have nipped it in the bud (and I say that as a huge fan of Gary). It just wasn't the same after that.

I really hope Tom enjoys his retirement, he more than deserves it at this stage.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Personally, I think when Jeff died they should have nipped it in the bud (and I say that as a huge fan of Gary). It just wasn't the same after that.

I really hope Tom enjoys his retirement, he more than deserves it at this stage.

Kerry King has kept Slayer going longer than Tom wanted. I agree when you lose a founding member that should of been it. And yes also think Gary is awesome

I'd say it's going to be an ending that sticks. Tom can enjoy his retirement, Kerry will probably go the solo route, Paul will be in demand, and Gary has Exodus to focus his attention on.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I could see Kerry King going out with a backing band playing Slayer songs in a couple of years. Doesn't seem like the type to put his feet up in retirement.

Dunno about that. I still watch their performance in Download in 2005 on Youtube. One of the best performances i've ever seen. They were amazingly tight. Lombardo i think was just back again and was in absolute beast mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dunno about that. I still watch their performance in Download in 2005 on Youtube. One of the best performances i've ever seen. They were amazingly tight. Lombardo i think was just back again and was in absolute beast mode.

Think that was 2006, when Lombardo filled in for Ulrich for part of their set, when he got sick...?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

i thought Slayers gig in the 3 arena Nov 2018 was spectacular. Ive been around / played music many years, and they completely blew the roof off, from theatrics to the sound / production and overall performance.

i think there are some aspects to the " Repentless " album that throw light into some of the old riffs etc. It is raw too.

i dont think you'll see them going global with tours again, i could be wrong, but i reckon it will be mainly the US , thats IF they do gig again.

This is an interview worth reading and funnily enough touches on what i said above re the Repentless album

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/interviews/slayer-interviewed

Bostaph is a slick stick man, Lombardo very much his own man and way of playing. The whole Lombardo split and the way it went on both sides wasnt great, its a real shame. And i think i did read somewhere that they never considered Dave a full time member of the band!?! Two very different drummers, so its down to personal choice who you like, not who is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Banzai600 wrote: »
    This is an interview worth reading and funnily enough touches on what i said above re the Repentless album

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/interviews/slayer-interviewed

Must say I always like reading / hearing interviews with Tom over the last while, and they're often surprisingly candid. Seems a very genuine, down to earth guy who's got his priorities in order and just wants to spend time with his grandkids. And does he ever stop laughing?!

Advertisement