Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Panel van to 9 PAX Camper

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, that's something I didn't expect at all :( I mean the van doesn't automatically triple in price just because I've put a few facilities into it. I wonder how easy the appeal process is.

I wonder what would be story with just doing this whole thing as a minibus I can sleep in, instead of a camper when you weigh up insurance and tax costs on that, vs a camper :confused:

Had a look at the Mazda Bongo, that'd be way too small for me but thanks for the suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cormie wrote: »
    Yeah, that's something I didn't expect at all :( I mean the van doesn't automatically triple in price just because I've put a few facilities into it. I wonder how easy the appeal process is.

I wonder what would be story with just doing this whole thing as a minibus I can sleep in, instead of a camper when you weigh up insurance and tax costs on that, vs a camper :confused:

Had a look at the Mazda Bongo, that'd be way too small for me but thanks for the suggestion :)

You won't get an appeal revenue are distinctly not fun to deal with and do not enjoy giving money back. Specifically on VRT.

They are zero crack.

Expect a reasonable high end vrt bill as per your worst calculations

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

In all fairness you should have done the research before you bought anything,
    but your youthful exuberence took hold, as it does.:)

You really need to re consider the factory made options out there that have been hi lited for you.

Its fairly simple to re cover lost ground at this stage, and possible lost money.

Not so easy when you break ground, or in this case cut metal on your project.

Step back and re assess, before it costs you

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Best advice I can give from my lifetime of campervanning and my wifes lifetime of campervanning is. Look after your own needs 100%, if you don't have a comfortable spacious bed, a toilet and a comfortable seating area where you're happy to spend the many, many times when its pissing rain for yourself then you've done yourself a serious disfavor and spent all that money at your own expense. If after looking after yourself a couple of friends fit into that then great. The rest of your friends can car pool or whatever to wherever you're going and you can fulfill your philanthropic intent by doling out hot coffee and rasher sandwiches to them in the morning.

If you're insisting on carrying around nine people then you need to plan for nine perspiring, respiring wet people with wet clothes and wet gear. You are going to need a diesel or propane night heater and either a decent mains dehumidifier for stationary use and/or air conditioning for when mobile to remove the moisture from inside the van. Otherwise the condensation will be raining down inside the van, you won't be able to see anything out the windows and you'll have mould and mildew and condensation will work its way into seams, sills, floors etc.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

I definitely want to make this as practical as possible for my own needs. Ideally, I'd be using this a lot in warmer climates where rain and the likes won't be an issue.

I'm sending the attached diagram to one of the SQI's who said to send it on to him to get some advice.

I think the alternative solution could be affordable enough and won't take up much space in the van so I can still prioritise my own needs with the design and set up. The two images are of ads currently on sale on donedeal. The bench, quick release seats and tracking will be less than €1K, then I'll just need to pay to get them installed/reinforced correctly which hopefully won't be too much.

Once that's done, all I'll need is the windows, cooker, sink, removable table, bed and to do up the over driver cab shelf with some doors for storage. I was actually thinking it'd be great to get a hinged window. This appears to be designed for the sprinter:
    0_77fc0a99-ccda-4834-a39d-50c023c452e9_compact.PNG?v=1530839618

Then there's the likes of this: https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ventilation/caravan-windows/seitz-windows/dometic-s7p-windows, but it wouldn't fit the contour of the side as nice.

The same guy selling the quick release seats is selling a sink/cooker etc too so could possibly get a deal for everything. Get it inspected, registered as a 9 seater camper, insured and then I can upgrade to newer equipment and add improvements and more comfort as I need to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

As you are forging ahead I assume you have found an insurance company willing to insure
    your vehicle to this design, well done. Who is it??

I posted the below previously Kadman :) So once I speak to the SQI and get the green light on a plan that they believe revenue will approve, then according to the lady in Stuarts, once revenue are happy with it, then it should be fine to insure. I hope..
    Ok, good news, rang Stuarts Insurance in Stillorgan and was told there's no need for a walkway and that as long as the rest of the revenue requirements are met in terms of it being classed a camper, that there should be no prob getting the insurance. I'd still need to send photos etc, but it didn't sound like it'd be a problem at all :)

Criteria:
    full eu license, engineers report, 1.8m height, sink, 2 ring cooker, no walkway needed

Through Aviva ,
    open drive for myself and any family member over 25 with full license: 415

Myself and named drivers (can switch named drivers as required) - 335.

So it's looking like it could be a goer now!

I rang parfit for a quote on getting a tracked floor fitted and reinforced, but they are closed until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are fitting windows make sure that they are approved ones. Lots of selfbuilds run into this issue when it comes to the CRVT test as they have no markings to show safety.

Damn, so that means I'd probably run into the same issue with the sprinter shaped hinged window pictured in the post above as it's from the US so probably doesn't have a CE stamp either??

I wonder if the Dometic S7p one has one or not now, no sign of it saying so on the webpage :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Damn, so that means I'd probably run into the same issue with the sprinter shaped hinged window pictured in the post above as it's from the US so probably doesn't have a CE stamp either??

I wonder if the Dometic S7p one has one or not now, no sign of it saying so on the webpage :confused:

Dometic stuff will generally all be EU compliant as its designed for the EU market.
    Its also double glazed which helps with condensation and noise and spares are also available at a price.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have thought about this and tbh the easiest way would be to install tracking and moveable seats, they won't fold up and sideways but you will be able to move them whereever you want within reason.

So I've been looking into my options, and I think this is the route I'll be going.

Install low profile tracking to the van floor and then either get seats with unwin quick release already on them, or get unwin brackets to put on other seats.

I'm hopefully going to get some kind of folding/flip up seats, but finding ones with a head rest and the proper safety markings might be a little trickier.

The plan at the moment is to put 3 single fold/flip up seats directly behind the front passener/driver seats facing backwards, and then have another 3 flip ups that can be positioned directly opposite facing forward.

I might just fit the tracking in the front section of the van, but then again, it might be better just to do the full length even though it'll cost more initially. It'll allow more flexibility later, and I also see on guidelines, that a seat needs to be fixed at least 200mm from the end of tracking, so using a few short lengths to create one length will pose more issues than using a single length. I may also need to extend the tracking slightly into the front cab floor area to allow the seats I want directly behind the front ones, to fit as snug as possible, so there's still the 200mm of tracking behind.

I may also look at throwing together a table top with foldable legs with unwin fasteners on the bottom of the legs that can latch into the tracking between the rear seats and to be used as the table, but not only that, but to then be able to unfold the table to then balance on the seats and create a bed :pac:

LeREeQo.jpg

The above is already looking like it'll be a lot more affordable than the original plan I had with the double fold against the wall bench, never mind a triple one.

I got some very helpful info which I've attached here. Seems single seats exert less force so require simpler reinforcement than double or triple.

Also, this is the type of label that needs to be present on belts:
    td0Tm4m.jpg

Advertisement