Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Keith186 wrote: »
    6 craft beers for price of 5 in O'Brien's. Cheapest free. Full 'craft' beer range included.

Prices only OK to begin with but it's better than full price. Offer finishes this Sunday.

8 degrees looks pretty good on this, 6 for 10 quid by the looks of it which is an improvement even on Molloys 5 for 10 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭you2008

Or 9*.75 will get you the same figure
    That is right, u must get A+++ on your math:)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

24 Coors light cans 500ml @4% is €28.50 in Cullaville, South Armagh (€1.18 each), I'd say you may get a discount if buying a few slabs.

I'm not connected at all to the off licence, just call in every so often, normally it is €31 but probably depends on £/€ rate.

Mountain just turned blue on my first in the freezer, cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

O'Briens in Tesco Naas have 4 cans of Miller for €3.99 which is decent enough value. They also have Molson Canadian 8 cans for €10.

I assume the offers would be in other O'Briens as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭lazyman

12 bottles of Peroni for 15euro in supervalue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone know if there's a reason Tesco have just increased all their everyday value spirit prices? Dry white rum (the cheapest 70cl up until now) has gone from €11.69 to €12.69, vodka up from €12.99 to €13.99, think gin went up as well - has there been a quiet excise or tax hike or something like that? Or is this perhaps in response to the whole debacle about Tesco overblowing their profit figures a couple of weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone know if there's a reason Tesco have just increased all their everyday value spirit prices? Dry white rum (the cheapest 70cl up until now) has gone from €11.69 to €12.69, vodka up from €12.99 to €13.99,
    They were ridiculously cheap in fairness, still are. It is one of the extremely few cases where I suspected actually below cost selling might have been going on. There were studies done in the UK a few years ago proving below cost selling of beer is very rare, contrary to what the lying prick publicans would have you believe, treating the public like idiots with their knowingly bogus claims.

There could have been a duty issue alright, they would not have a best before date so could have stocked up loads of it before any excise hit, this is often said to happen with beer, where the price often does not shoot up when excise is due.

The current rate for spirits is 42.57 per litre of alcohol in the spirits

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

So the rum or vodka is 37.5% and 700ml so has 262.5ml of alcohol. So it has €11.17 in duty alone. I am not sure how the vat works in relation to that, but you can see it definitly could have been a loss. The smaller and larger bottles of rum are much more expensive per ml, the rum & vodka are often sold out in my tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anyone know if there's a reason Tesco have just increased all their everyday value spirit prices? Dry white rum (the cheapest 70cl up until now) has gone from €11.69 to €12.69, vodka up from €12.99 to €13.99, think gin went up as well - has there been a quiet excise or tax hike or something like that? Or is this perhaps in response to the whole debacle about Tesco overblowing their profit figures a couple of weeks ago?

There has been a consistent strengthening of Sterling against the Euro over the last 6 months and this has accelerated recently.

The Euro is now only worth circa 77p and less after exchange charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Oh I'm not really complaining about a €1 price rise for what is surprisingly quite a nice rum, I'm just wondering as it has occurred without any new budget announcements or anything like that. Seems to happen often around this time of year, which is strange.

Be interesting to see if Aldi's white rum is still €11.69 or has also gone up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well I would anticipate that a lot of UK products stocked in Tesco will increase in the coming weeks & months as a result of the weakening of the euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Well I would anticipate that a lot of UK products stocked in Tesco will increase in the coming weeks & months as a result of the weakening of the euro.

Tesco Ireland changed their whole supply chain about 5 years ago from Irish to UK suppliers when the media pointed out the vast gulf in prices between north/south prices. Mind you at that time the €/£ was about 95p.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

lazyman wrote: »
    12 bottles of Peroni for 15euro in supervalue

anyone see this in supervalu galway
    no sign of any in ballybane
    its a suprisingly good offer for a store who never have decent
    premium beers like this on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭lazyman

mailburner wrote: »
    anyone see this in supervalu galway
    no sign of any in ballybane
    its a suprisingly good offer for a store Srwho never have decent
    premium beers like this on offer

I got it in the one in castletroy limerick, used to be superquinn
    It wasn't on their recent ad brochure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm looking to buy a bottle of whiskey for a friend's birthday. I wouldn't drink much of the stuff myself so I'm a bit clueless. Would appreciate recommendations that are good value in Galway city. Thanks. I also posted in the Galway forum, I hope this is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Getting some price increases in before the Budget, simple as that - as it's likely spirits will be hit again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PSG1919

Hi, does anyone know of any offers on cans of Murphys or O'Haras stout? Cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm looking to buy a bottle of whiskey for a friend's birthday. I wouldn't drink much of the stuff myself so I'm a bit clueless. Would appreciate recommendations that are good value in Galway city. Thanks. I also posted in the Galway forum, I hope this is ok.

Most basic question is - Irish or Scottish? Then - how much do you want to spend?

In terms of bang for the buck, Black Bush can usually be got for 25-27 *somewhere* and its a damn good Irish whiskey for that price point.

If you want Scottish you'll need to pay a bit more; if you want to pay a bit more to begin with there's a big range of ~35 euro or 35-on-offer stuff available, both Irish and Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,123 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

MYOB wrote: »
    Most basic question is - Irish or Scottish? Then - how much do you want to spend?

In terms of bang for the buck, Black Bush can usually be got for 25-27 *somewhere* and its a damn good Irish whiskey for that price point.

If you want Scottish you'll need to pay a bit more; if you want to pay a bit more to begin with there's a big range of ~35 euro or 35-on-offer stuff available, both Irish and Scottish.
    you can get black bush for €25 from O'Brien's. Its a lovely whiskey. I also like tullamore dew which can be found in fine wines for around 20 Euros sometimes. if you're looking to really impress with an Irish whiskey red breast is hard to beat. A bit expensive at 70 euro a bottle, but for a special occasion...
    http://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/redbreast-12-year-old-70cl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Akrasia wrote: »
    you can get black bush for €25 from O'Brien's. Its a lovely whiskey. I also like tullamore dew which can be found in fine wines for around 20 Euros sometimes. if you're looking to really impress with an Irish whiskey red breast is hard to beat. A bit expensive at 70 euro a bottle, but for a special occasion...
    http://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/redbreast-12-year-old-70cl.html

I know €40 is a good bit more than €25 but if you go up the line to bushmills 10year old its a completely different animal. I always have a bottle of this in the cupboard. Perfect cheapish but fantastic quality whiskey.

I like blackfish don't get me wrong but if I'm only havin the odd tipple I'd rather it be decent stuff. Bushmills 10year old for me hits the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 17 An Bothar Leathan

18 cans of Bulmers for €24 in Tesco Cashel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know €40 is a good bit more than €25 but if you go up the line to bushmills 10year old its a completely different animal. I always have a bottle of this in the cupboard. Perfect cheapish but fantastic quality whiskey.

I like blackfish don't get me wrong but if I'm only havin the odd tipple I'd rather it be decent stuff. Bushmills 10year old for me hits the spot

Can be found for 35 the odd time too, think that's what I paid for the bottle I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

MYOB wrote: »
    Can be found for 35 the odd time too, think that's what I paid for the bottle I have.

Where? That's a great price and I'm running low

Where? That's a great price and I'm running low

O'Briens two or three weeks ago. Its one of the regular rotation of reductions there and Tesco but its a bit out of the price range for what gets mentioned on here - usually shows up in Booze Doc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭fabsoul

any offer on Captain Morgan this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭AlanG

This is in case they go up in the budget next week - Tesco will be able to say they are not implementing the price rise and are keeping their spirits at pre-budget prices. This is also the reason there are few deals around at the moment as they don't want to give the gov an excuse to bring in minimum prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Must be why Aldi have put their O'Sheas range up to €1.99 a bottle. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭laros

Must be why Aldi have put their O'Sheas range up to €1.99 a bottle.

It was still €1.89 in my local store today

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

tesco at the moment Coors light, Heineken and Guinness 24 cans for €28 offer on until 4/11 also Carlsberg, Bud light and Miller cans 24 cans for €26 but make sure you buy 24 individual cans as buying them in packs of 8 or so will cost much more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

casio4 wrote: »
    tesco at the moment Coors light, Heineken and Guinness 24 cans for €28 offer on until 4/11 also Carlsberg, Bud light and Miller cans 24 cans for €26 but make sure you buy 24 individual cans as buying them in packs of 8 or so will cost much more

Finally, a drinks offer I can get my teeth sunk into! Its been ages since a decent offer like this has been around. I'm going to stock up with about 8 slabs of Guinness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement