Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Further to the arizona situation, the Trump campaign has been reported as having cancelled all advertising in the Phoenix area previously scheduled to run between 8th and 14th September.

Crazy stuff! Unless they're broke?

https://www.alternet.org/2020/09/the-trump-campaign-is-broke/

Dunno. He 9% behind having won Arizona by 3% in 2016. Maybe they think that it's a bridge too far and are focusing on tighter races?

Edit: Saw your edit - that's great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Further to the arizona situation, the Trump campaign has been reported as having cancelled all advertising in the Phoenix area previously scheduled to run between 8th and 14th September.

Crazy stuff! Unless they're broke?

https://www.alternet.org/2020/09/the-trump-campaign-is-broke/

They obviously not broke but he has been diverting campaign funds to pay his legal expenses at an alarming rate according to NYT reporting. Nothing shocking there like, just more grifting.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So that’s Arizona and Michigan that he is all-but conceding.

If (key word) they flip, then Biden only needs Pennsylvania to win out.

Meanwhile, if Trump holds PA but Biden flips Wisconsin, then we’ve 269-269.

On Arizona, it will be such a bad look for the GOP if they can’t keep that Senate seat. John McCain was one of the most respected Republicans out there and it would sum up what a **** show of a party they are if they lose it.

What metric are you using for the electoral map to leave it down to those 3 states? What way are you splitting what your holding as the 47 states that are dead certs?

Yeah Arizona is a kick in the teeth for them but that woman they put in was very unpopular at the time, a terrible choice by all accounts and hasn't done anything to improve it seems.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'm watching a gripping movie "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks as Captain of a US ship crossing the Atlantic in a convoy in 1941.

This depicts honest, patriotic, courageous, God -fearing leadership at a time when the US was a true contributor to Allied efforts against fascism and evil genocide in Europe. It shows good men taking huge personal risks for a higher purpose. It shows not a single Trump categorised loser..

Maybe Trump should be forced to watch! He might learn something. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Faugheen wrote: »
    So that’s Arizona and Michigan that he is all-but conceding.

If (key word) they flip, then Biden only needs Pennsylvania to win out.

Meanwhile, if Trump holds PA but Biden flips Wisconsin, then we’ve 269-269.

On Arizona, it will be such a bad look for the GOP if they can’t keep that Senate seat. John McCain was one of the most respected Republicans out there and it would sum up what a **** show of a party they are if they lose it.

It would be but John McCain was the penthouse and Marty mcsally is is the outhouse who has strapped herself to trump and unless the poll numbers change drastically then she’s gone and mark Kelly will do a great job of representing Arizona.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Trump turning to Hollywood to learn about history could have all sorts of bad outcomes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Trump turning to Hollywood to learn about history could have all sorts of bad outcomes.

I take your point. However, the reason I posted this one is that the movie is a faithful representation of CS Forester's 1955 book on the subject which has been praised both at the time and later of being highly accurate, even though it was a work of Historical fiction.

Regrettably, Trump has already learned much of his Presidential style from Hollywood. I'm thinking particularly of the Mad Max series.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What metric are you using for the electoral map to leave it down to those 3 states? What way are you splitting what your holding as the 47 states that are dead certs?

Yeah Arizona is a kick in the teeth for them but that woman they put in was very unpopular at the time, a terrible choice by all accounts and hasn't done anything to improve it seems.

Reading this, the Dems have 10 states that voted Trump in 2016, in play.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/05/democrats-arizona-georgia-texas-election-in-play

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm watching a gripping movie "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks as Captain of a US ship crossing the Atlantic in a convoy in 1941.

This depicts honest, patriotic, courageous, God -fearing leadership at a time when the US was a true contributor to Allied efforts against fascism and evil genocide in Europe. It shows good men taking huge personal risks for a higher purpose. It shows not a single Trump categorised loser..

It's plain that he's ignoring JFK's "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country", said example coming from a president who served his country in that war and being wounded into the bargain.

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    It's plain that he's ignoring JFK's "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country", said example coming from a president who served his country in that war and being wounded into the bargain.

He lost his older brother in WW2 also if I'm correct.

Water John wrote: »
    He lost his older brother in WW2 also if I'm correct.

Yes! It was very interesting from the point of view that he (Joe Jr) was the designated Presidential hopeful on the part of his father Joe Snr. He was one of the first people ever killed in action as part of a new pilotless drone strategy in WWII.. it was said that Joe Snr never got over his death, and saw JFK as a poor second choice when he eventually entered politics.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/05/democrats-arizona-georgia-texas-election-in-play

I'm not really sure what that article is actually saying.

As I see it from the many reports of polls etc., I certainly see AZ as very much in play. With a big Blue Wave, GA could fall to Biden, but TX is a huge stretch for me. FL is on a knife edge, and the Trump Fear strategy may have greatest impact here amongst those retired folks who actually survive Covid. MI, MN and WI are all going to see-saw between now and November and if Biden stays virtual rather than going out and about, he may well lose these. I don't see PA being in play unless there's a lot of negative news on Trump in the intervening period. OH and IA ...I dunno... IA did go Obama in 2012 and Trump in 2016, so I suppose it could fall to Biden.

There's definitely more than 3 states it will come down to in my mind I just wanted to see why the OP had decided it came down to those 3. Which way the other close states were broken down and why.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’m not leaving it down to those three states.

In 2016, WI, MI and PA were won by less than 1%. They’re the ones most likely to flip and if all three did flip, then Biden wins providing he holds onto all of the states Hillary won.

Of course Florida, Ohio etc could be in play, but you see some polls having Biden ahead in Texas, North Carolina and Georgia but I really don’t see how he actually wins in all three of them.

You could argue Minnesota is in play judging by polls but really I don’t see how Trump wins there in the same way I can’t see Biden winning in the three states above.

Wisconsin
    Pennsylvania
    Michigan
    Arizona
    Florida
    Ohio

Those are the states in play in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭amandstu

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2020/0905/1163445-trump/

So Trump is pressuring a news channel to fire its reporter over a story he does not like or disagrees with.

Is it a stretch to compare this to the Nazis" burning of the books?

And the "first they came for the homosexuals....but when they came for me there was no one left to defend me" saying.?

Don't want to fall foul of Godwin's law ......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's more in line with hypocrisy from the right bemoaning the so called "cancel culture" - only to indulge in a blatantly adolescent form of it.

At least in some small way the hysteria to "cancel" perceived racist/sexist entities comes from a place of zealous sincerity; this is naked insecurity over a journalist publishing bad press over ones person. That's pretty thin skinned.

Trump's a terrible politician really. IIRC he "promised" he'd toughen the libel laws when he came to power back in 2016; guess that never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The Nazi comparison is a difficult one. Absolutely no one would suggest that Trump wants to throw people in concentration camps, yes, even with the cages. I don't think he directly wants people he doesn't like (let's face it, "brown" people and Muslims) interred and murdered.
    Trump is a vacuous, self-centred, selfish psychopath, but it's all about him. I don't think he cares enough about other people enough to want to kill them, yes, even with the Central Park Five.
    He does, however, definitely use Nazi, or better, fascist methodology.
    The rallies, using minorities as scapegoats, lack of logical arguments, instead using emotive, simple rhetoric, denigrating the free press, being anti intellectual and of course harking back to a mythical "golden age" that never existed.
    And of course a certain cruelty and telling one certain group (white, Christian Americans) that they are the "real" America and that all those women, minorities, eco warriors and atheists are getting a bit too big for their boots and should be cut down a peg or two.
    I would certainly call it "Fascism Light"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Detritus70 wrote: »
    The Nazi comparison is a difficult one. Absolutely no one would suggest that Trump wants to throw people in concentration camps, yes, even with the cages. I don't think he directly wants people he doesn't like (let's face it, "brown" people and Muslims) interred and murdered.
    Trump is a vacuous, self-centred, selfish psychopath, but it's all about him. I don't think he cares enough about other people enough to want to kill them, yes, even with the Central Park Five.
    He does, however, definitely use Nazi, or better, fascist methodology.
    The rallies, using minorities as scapegoats, lack of logical arguments, instead using emotive, simple rhetoric, denigrating the free press, being anti intellectual and of course harking back to a mythical "golden age" that never existed.
    And of course a certain cruelty and telling one certain group (white, Christian Americans) that they are the "real" America and that all those women, minorities, eco warriors and atheists are getting a bit too big for their boots and should be cut down a peg or two.
    I would certainly call it "Fascism Light"

Trump and Trumpism is akin to 1930s Nazism not 1940s Nazism because Nazism didn't emerge fully formed from a box. It was an evolving process. Trump and Trumpism is an evolving process. It will be interesting to see what happens to Trumpism if hopefully Trump is defeated. Will it latch onto a better candidate?

Watching a detailed analyst on CNN last night. He indicated that Biden's lead is more like 5% than the 8%. Most of the swing states were at less than 5%, so its close and Biden/Harris need to seal the deal. But then with the revelations of the last few days, Trump may have sealed the deal for them.

This from Cohen's book should help seal the Latino vote too:
    'Cohen says Trump was undeterred and unconcerned with the harm to his businesses. “Plus, I will never get the Hispanic vote,” Trump said, according to Cohen. “Like the blacks, they’re too stupid to vote for Trump. They’re not my people.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Absolutely no one would suggest that Trump wants to throw people in concentration camps, yes, even with the cages.
    I actually think if he knew he could get away with it he’d try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,999 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Does anyone know what was going on here http://rs.n1info.com/English/NEWS/a636891/Bildt-tweets-Vucic-s-reaction-to-Trump-s-statement-on-Serbia-s-embassy-in-Israel.html ? Was it Trump being thick, or devious, or what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nody wrote: »

If Serbia agreed this then why did he look so surprised and go back over the document during that press conference..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

listermint wrote: »
    If Serbia agreed this then why did he look so surprised and go back over the document during that press conference..

Well they may have agreed something but something wasn’t as agreed because the look to his right at someone has a “we didn’t agree to that” look. I mean it’s very possible that president trump or his administration added 2 and 2 and got 6 on what the agreement said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

listermint wrote: »
    Well Trump was the one stating it was agreed so you need to roll a D20 to see if you can spot if it's a lie or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,389 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nody wrote: »

From that link
    And we didn't speak about many items that we signed today but for us it's very important that we are going to have a unified economic zone in an entire Western Balkans which will bring us to the real economic results for the benefit and for the sake of all our people," Vucic added.

Oopsie lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

From that link

Oopsie lol

Absolute genius leadership there . Dazzled by the white House was it

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Just one more thing on the question "is the current US administration fascist", this video delves into that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭abff

I listened to that video and it makes a number of valid points. To answer the question posed towards the end of the video, my view is that Trump is first and foremost an opportunist, who has no deeply held beliefs whatsoever and whose sole motivation is self aggrandisement.

Unfortunately, I’m starting to fear that, against all common sense and logic, we are going to have to try to survive another four years with this horrendous gobsh*te at the helm. The likelihood is that this will be by foul means rather than fair ones, but I just hope that I’m wrong and that he gets annihilated in November.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement