Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Fights to Rewatch

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Just watched Leonard v Hagler in full for the first time and while the Marvelous one can feel aggrieved as he was never hurt I think the decision is a fair one. Leonard fought very clever at distance, holding down Hagler's head and generally staying out of trouble. Superb footwork and movement from the best of those four icons.

I am biased as I shook his hand last year and he grew up only a few miles from here!
    Draw for me but see the argument for either winning by a round or two. Close fight. Hagler 100% would have won if they had a rematch though.

The real robbery involving Leonard was Leonard-Hearns II. Clear win for Hearns, can't see how that can be scored a draw.

And I'm not having Leonard as the best of the four though. Duran all day long! There's no comparison really when it comes to their accomplishments. Duran the best fighter of the last 50 years for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Draw for me but see the argument for either winning by a round or two. Close fight. Hagler 100% would have won if they had a rematch though.

The real robbery involving Leonard was Leonard-Hearns II. Clear win for Hearns, can't see how that can be scored a draw.

And I'm not having Leonard as the best of the four though. Duran all day long! There's no comparison really when it comes to their accomplishments. Duran the best fighter of the last 50 years for me.

Duran for me as well......

I had Hagler 7-5....

This view-belief that seems to be 'accepted,' that without doubts Ray won rds 1-4.....It's horsesh1t.....all 4 rds very close and difficult to score....I think I had it 2-2 after 4, but could be any combination

Overall, Ray ran most the fight....fought in spurts and ran....I found it hard to see him the winner...

Also, Hagler for me looked desperately sluggish, pedestrian and slow.....

Hagler was a great fighter....no doubt....I think he gets overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Yes some rounds were razor thin but as you say Marvelous looked pedestrian as Leonard had seen weaknesses in the Mugabe fight. But Leonard fought a very smart fight. The goal is to hit and not get hit and that was what the winner did by and large.

When I referred him as the best of the four icons I meant between them as he beat his three illustrious opponents. Yes Duran's accomplishments are legendary but he quit against Leonard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

https://youtu.be/415d4rOH0dw

Benn comes across such a nice, humble bloke in interviews nowadays. Never knew they tried to line up a Sugar ray fight at one stage, woulda been a spectacle I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Benn comes across such a nice, humble bloke in interviews nowadays. Never knew they tried to line up a Sugar ray fight at one stage, woulda been a spectacle I’m sure.

They tried to line him up to fight Roy Jones at middleweight too when they were young but it never came about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Benn around that time would have been very dangerous for a blown up WW Leonard..

Benn was Mike Tyson at MW. Very aggressive, heavy and dangerous hands, and relentless...

I don’t think Leonard has the time, space, movement, chin, power to really win here...SRL has a good chin, but was hurt and dropped and wobbled several times by less vicious punchers than Benn..

It also took a good hard puncher to dent Benn. Ray was not that at MW..

Advertisement