Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recycle old clothes,shoes and duvets

• 22-10-2019 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thebourke

i have old duverts,sheets,clothes,shoes that need to be thrown out...they are not suitable for wear....does anybody know can be they recycled etc...any part of dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

"Some textiles are not suitable for re-use or recycling such as those that are heavily soiled or worn, these should be disposed of in a clothes bank where they will be sent for shredding and used, for instance, as furniture stuffing."
    Link

But which clothing bank? Seems unfair to lumber the charity with the chore of diverting the "waste" clothing.

sugarman wrote: »
    Scroll down to the "where" section and input your location. It'll show you where your nearest clothes bank is. They're all operated by the one company.

I don't think they are all operated by one company - based on my limited knowledge of VdeP. In any case I'd still feel uncomfortable dumping my useless clothing on a charity unless I knew they were willing to accept it.
    OP it may be worth contacting a charity before using their clothes bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

"Some textiles are not suitable for re-use or recycling such as those that are heavily soiled or worn, these should be disposed of in a clothes bank where they will be sent for shredding and used, for instance, as furniture stuffing."
    Link

But which clothing bank? Seems unfair to lumber the charity with the chore of diverting the "waste" clothing.

I am very interested in recycling old textiles and checked that site. I entered my area and found I had 48 bring centres which was great, however not one of them accepted textiles. They all just accepted cans and glass. The waste services locator on the site only allows filtering via centre i.e. Bringbank, Civic Amenity etc, but not for the type of product I want to recycle i.e. textiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

All charity shops in my locality take bags of textiles that aren’t suitable to wear, for recycling. They get money for them when they move them on, so don’t feel bad for “lumbering” them. Just clearly mark the bags for recycling.
    Not duvets though, they don’t take them

I'll check my local charity shops so. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ Maren Billions Toaster

Clothes banks are fine for the clothes and shoes, duvets and pillows are a bit of a pain to recycle and aren't accepted at clothes banks. The charity shops do prefer wearable clothes although they will send on other stuff to be recycled.

Check your local dogs and cats homes, some will take old blankets/sheets/towels for the furry residents. My local one is happy to have them as are dogs trust etc. Ask around friends who are pet owners too.

If you are handy with a sewing machine you can always upcycle old duvets or pillows and make them into nice cushions/draught excluders/pet beds/mattress toppers/ironing board covers/sleeping bag/plump out old sofa seat pads.

The contents of feather duvets and pillows can be composted too.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I am very interested in recycling old textiles and checked that site. I entered my area and found I had 48 bring centres which was great, however not one of them accepted textiles. They all just accepted cans and glass. The waste services locator on the site only allows filtering via centre i.e. Bringbank, Civic Amenity etc, but not for the type of product I want to recycle i.e. textiles.

Maybe just an omission on the website. All the bring sites I'm familiar with have bottles, cans, clothing banks.

Maybe just an omission on the website. All the bring sites I'm familiar with have bottles, cans, clothing banks.

The ones that I regularly visit only take cans and glass, which is around six in my near vicinity. I wonder if you mean a civic amenity, I know they have clothing banks but the bring centres beside shopping centres, supermarkets, pubs etc., just take cans and bottles in my area. I'll have to travel a little bit further for the civic amenity.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    The ones that I regularly visit only take cans and glass, which is around six in my near vicinity. I wonder if you mean a civic amenity, I know they have clothing banks but the bring centres beside shopping centres, supermarkets, pubs etc., just take cans and bottles in my area. I'll have to travel a little bit further for the civic amenity.

That's a nuisance. I'm surprised there are variations across the country? Bins removed due to theft?
    I mean bring sites - e.g in supermarket car parks. Maybe email your council for accurate info. If nothing else it will make a point. I must say my councils respond promptly and helpfully. (Cork city and county)

That's a nuisance. I'm surprised there are variations across the country? Bins removed due to theft?
    I mean bring sites - e.g in supermarket car parks. Maybe email your council for accurate info. If nothing else it will make a point. I must say my councils respond promptly and helpfully. (Cork city and county)

No, not removed due to theft, just never there in the first place I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement