Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bf4 clans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Same server on ZAVOD(said Golmund earlier)
    20140328_114516_zpscpyi6f6e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Cos I am bored I looked back on the 9 matched I played last night... message is that both my K/D and SPM were up 25% because I had no lag. How annoying is that! Also I didnt use boosts so that is the "naked" SPM and maybe if I hadn't messed with the Ucav i'd have done better than the round in which my SPM was < 200!

Kills Deaths SPM

15 10 312
    11 4 674
    6 3 3302
    4 0 484
    3 3 169
    6 4 1036
    8 11 426
    12 4 1110
    21 10 662
    86 49 8175

K/D 1.755102041

SPM 908.3333333

Paul, thanks.

I am UPC too and I think the best possible speed (not sure)

Are you wireless or wired connection?

For the record, I only play European and only play with 4 bars too (for Ping) so it is strange how different are outcomes have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

The mere sight of that system performance test annoys me, I think its a bit rich for Dice to try and push some of the blame onto users networks\broadbands when obviously there is an issue with their core infrastructure.
    I mean none of these issues where in BF3 \ BC2 on PC and they were 64 players with high FPS. Dice didn't have a system performance test for those titles, yet they felt the need to create one for BF4 cos they have had so many complaints about the state of the game.

Look at the posts near the end of this thread...

One poster shows speed test results, before \during and after levelution, the only thing that changes is his packet loss, server performance stays at high.... so during the game Dice are basically blaming packetloss (His ISP) for the lag he's experiencing... its tripe talk.

Another thing i noticed, is that in any of the screenshots ive seen, the server name is always Ps4-Monkey, never changes. Now im sure that this is some sort of clustered resource across EA's DC's, (there is one in Citywest) and also that Warsaw must be code for Bf4 cos even guys in the US get that name, but for troubleshooting purposes it would be easier to tell us the exact server name \ host that we are connecting to rather than a generic name.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, actually there is no obvious issue with their infrastructure, and yes it really is an issue with a users connectivity and their ISPs. The internet is not a static or permament thing with infinite bandwidth in every direction. Fibres get cut by careless moron in JCBs, equipment fails, and scrounging ISPs let peering points get saturated. That last point is the most common issue people are seeing. Given the economic issues over the last few years, many ISPs, often the older ones, have failed to boost their infrastructure, and instead continued to milk their members of the the public as their cash-cows. Since peering points work on a zero-sum reconciliation model, there's no money to be earned there, and ISPs have let them get saturated, and only begrudgingly upgrade them once there's an outweighing risk of customer churn. Saying you've got a 200 meg connection, so it can't be your ISP, is just nonsense. It doesn't matter what speed your last mile is, whether it's a 56k modem or a 200meg DoCSIS 3.0 job from UPC, you're all taking the same routes, and going through the same peering points with the same priority. If the BF4 diag screen showed the routing involved, you'd see the massive variation that's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

I haven't been playing BF4 for long but I can tell now when the lag is an issue on my side or with EA Servers. I don't think Ireland has the best broadband infratstructure at all (putting it nicely!) and when you live out in the sticks like I do its even worse. So I know that I have to put up with some lag/rubberbanding to start with. But if i can play other games on the same connection without issues, why can't it be that way on BF4? Hopefully it can be like that finally with these patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

keithc83 wrote: »
    I haven't been playing BF4 for long but I can tell now when the lag is an issue on my side or with EA Servers. I don't think Ireland has the best broadband infratstructure at all (putting it nicely!) and when you live out in the sticks like I do its even worse. So I know that I have to put up with some lag/rubberbanding to start with. But if i can play other games on the same connection without issues, why can't it be that way on BF4? Hopefully it can be like that finally with these patches.

Same as me, most of mine seems resolved, I do get the odd bad lag and I get so pissed off I just switch it off!

I'm beginning to wonder is the PS4 internal WiFi module is ****e, seems hit and miss compared to my PS3 or 360 for that matter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Look, I dont want to get into a technical argument but I work in IT, im CCNA certified and have a decent understanding of protocols and routing, i actually used to work in the DC where EA now host their servers.
    To blame users ISP's is a cheapshot, end of. Might count for 5% of total affected users thats it.

The common denominator here is Dice, there are tens of thousands of users who are experiencing lag who were unaffected in other games, the game was released unfinished and not for purpose. Go play Lagcang Dam right now on a European server, blow up the dam and see what happens, Your telling me packet loss or latency issues are occurring at the very moment that levelution events are but not before or after? Honest question, Have you played BF3 or BC2 recently? The hit detection in those games is so sharp compared to BF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

Rifle Expert mission this weekend lads - Get the most kills with assault rifles in a round.
    Dust off the AK's for 9pm kick off as usual. :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

allybhoy wrote: »
    Look, I dont want to get into a technical argument but I work in IT, im CCNA certified and have a decent understanding of protocols and routing, i actually used to work in the DC where EA now host their servers.
    To blame users ISP's is a cheapshot, end of. Might count for 5% of total affected users thats it.

The common denominator here is Dice, there are tens of thousands of users who are experiencing lag who were unaffected in other games, the game was released unfinished and not for purpose. Go play Lagcang Dam right now on a European server, blow up the dam and see what happens, Your telling me packet loss or latency issues are occurring at the very moment that levelution events are but not before or after? Honest question, Have you played BF3 or BC2 recently? The hit detection in those games is so sharp compared to BF4.

I was referring to the general case, as the poor state of peering is a general and widespread issue, and not specific to BF.

• Advertisement

Thinking of getting a set of these :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1090930/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUG.htm

But I'm sure my laggy woes are with BF4 and not my net, - I'm in the sticks but I'm on a 50mb line w 22 upload, and my ping is around 24ms

I'd rather get a set of those as opposed to pulling Ethernet cable around the house, I'm beginning to think the Thompson router that Magnet provided me with is fairly ****e also, so all these things could be contributing, mind you I did find a full 3 bar game the other day straight after the patch....(first time in weeks)

mozattack wrote: »
    Paul, thanks.

I am UPC too and I think the best possible speed (not sure)

Are you wireless or wired connection?

For the record, I only play European and only play with 4 bars too (for Ping) so it is strange how different are outcomes have been.

Sorry, I've a wired connection. Must have accidentally deleted some of the sentence when I was rewording it.

I'm really outta my depth with all this technical jargon here :) but at the end of the day, if I buy a game which to all intents and purposes is supposed the pinnacle of what an online shooter should be, it should bloody work consistently before it's released.
    Maybe it's nostalgia with most people, but I can remember when bf3 was iffy at launch. It took a good while before they ironed out the kinks. Even nearing the end, bf3 was hardly renowned for its hit detection. Dying around corners and trade kills were fairly common, but the fact we long for those days shows just how far bf4 has to go.
    My biggest gripe is the fact that DICE/EA seems to be inadvertently driving a wedge between the community. PC elitists have long been part of it, I genuinely don't mind them because realistically, the consoles do hinder progress and innovation. Conversely, I think I'd be correct in saying that consoles make up the larger player base so of course they have to be catered to. DICE hinted to it themselves during bf3 that they had to cut some stuff the consoles would struggle with. They outright admitted it this time round that the old gen consoles are holding the game back. Now we have the PC guys, the current gen, and the old gen. Not to mention premium vs non-premium and Sony vs Microsoft.
    I think at this stage they really owe the community as a whole an apology or at least an honest explanation. Too many players are having too many problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

BF4 is broken in many aspects and EA are in damage control, they have taken over responding in the Battlelog forums and adding the packet loss and lag meters don't fix the issues but appease the fact it exists somewhat to pull you into some sorta of delusion that they're aware of it and will fix it but more than likely will not, even their 2 test servers are terrible.

Internet routes and isp structures have been improved over the years and this is not the first Battlefield game, and not the first to host 64 player games and most of them were close to 10 years ago and they didn't suffer with the same amount of lag and issues bf4 has, which to be honest has not been right since launch and almost seems unfixable almost 6 months later.

Hmmmm, maybe it is down to having a wired versus wireless connection... any thoughts?

Hmmmm, maybe it is down to having a wired versus wireless connection... any thoughts?

I have zero technical understanding of it, but I would have to imagine that wired would be more consistent if nothing else. My view would be that if it's at all possible, you should wire the Playstation directly. Ethernet cables aren't expensive at all anyway, just be sure to measure the distance correctly

Dunno,

Im after going out and buying the homeplugs I linked above and it seems a bit of a waste, rubberbanding all over shop on new maps, gonna try using the chrome plug in on Battlelog from now on...

Edit : after spending 500 quid on a console, a 110 on a game(w premium), and now 50 quid on a set of homeplugs I think I'm done with this game, might sell up My ps4 and start building a PC.... :-(

Fieldog wrote: »
    Dunno,

Im after going out and buying the homeplugs I linked above and it seems a bit of a waste, rubberbanding all over shop on new maps, gonna try using the chrome plug in on Battlelog from now on...

Edit : after spending 500 quid on a console, a 110 on a game(w premium), and now 50 quid on a set of homeplugs I think I'm done with this game, might sell up My ps4 and start building a PC.... :-(

i wouldn't base your ps4 experience on just one game, BF4 is broken, even DICE admitted it is, and damage control at this stage is futile, this is the very reason i did'nt rush out to buy premium this time round.

This is not to say you can have fun online on other games.

did you have the lan plugs in the wall or an extension lead?

BordorFox wrote: »
    i wouldn't base your ps4 experience on just one game, BF4 is broken, even DICE admitted it is, and damage control at this stage is futile, this is the very reason i did'nt rush out to buy premium this time round.

This is not to say you can have fun online on other games.

did you have the lan plugs in the wall or an extension lead?

Have them on the wall socket, I did read not to put them in a power block thingy - according to PS4 I'm getting 30 down and 3 up, which is wildly out, I did it on laptop and got 47 down and 22 up with a ping of 24ms....

Maybe I was just a bit freaked posting that yesterday, but I did buy my PS4 purely for BF4 , I had a couple of games on the test server later and it seemed to work a hell of a lot better, tried a spot of Caspian last night and it was horrible...

Maybe the fact its Double XP weekend, but still - I shouldnt have to make excuses for EA/Dices shoddy game...

Thread stickied up top page of Reddit :

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/21byxq/dear_dice_we_deserve_clear_status_on_ps4/

Maybe I was just a bit freaked posting that yesterday, but I did buy my PS4 purely for BF4 , I had a couple of games on the test server later and it seemed to work a hell of a lot better, tried a spot of Caspian last night and it was horrible....

Oddly enough, I've never had any trouble on the Second Assault maps but I found the test servers absolutely unplayable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

A friend and I did our own little tests over the last few days, both of us playing different game modes with different server settings, on the Vanilla maps, CR, SA and NS and we both came to the same conclusion, that BF4 on PS4 the servers cannot handle 64 players. Even if there are less players in a 64 man server, the results were the same; banding, lag and constant packet loss.

While there is some lag and banding on CR and SA, they were both instantly a lot more playable than the Vanilla and NS maps and was barely noticeable.

But game modes like Obliteration, Rush, Domination and TDM, there was little to no lag or banding. The packet loss symbol only appearing when a US clan joined the server.

Conquest Large however, was a different story altogether, especially on the new NS maps. Packet loss symbol was constantly there, massive banding and lag and it made driving any sort of vehicle next to impossible.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that I tried everything both wired and wireless, no change or difference in the quality of game.

• Advertisement

Oddly enough, I've never had any trouble on the Second Assault maps but I found the test servers absolutely unplayable

Its so weird how certain things work well for one and not for others with this game - prime example, the previous update worked very well for me, with little or no rubberbanding on most maps, was highly playable minus the killcam, but I could live with that!

I've had nowt but trouble with the latest update!

I wonder if deleting all the Bf4 data would make any difference to it?

If someone buys a new PS4 w BF, will they only DL the most recent update for the game? Or will they download say the last 6 or 7 the way we have before play?

If someone buys a new PS4 w BF, will they only DL the most recent update for the game? Or will they download say the last 6 or 7 the way we have before play?

I'd presume just the latest update

I'd presume just the latest update

Might try delete the game then for ****s and giggles, its not like I have anything to lose.... :-)

I think it's just down to the fact there would be less people on the DLC servers than the vanilla ones so they don't suffer the lag the vanilla maps would.

It's a shame though as the game is great when there is no lag, and perhaps when custom servers option appears it will do away with this issue.

While 64 players can be great fun on the big conquest maps, they should have not had 64 in the likes of operation locker or operation metro because they're just a disaster, perhaps the ballistic shields and grenade tweaks will make them or break them.

I hope that when custom servers are available, that you can also have dlc maps in the rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

Rifle Expert Update!!

Cobra - 23
    Paul Booth - 21
    Grooverr83 - 20
    Falstaff30 - 18
    Thurles - 12
    Shane_86 - 9
    TigronIE - 8
    Deadius_maximus - 5

Close at the top there, still about 8/9 hours to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭cobraeire

mulready1 wrote: »
    add me to ps4

mulready

:D:D

Are you in a platoon yet?

Squad beta options found in PS3 version of Battlefield 4, could be coming to PS4

Battlefield-4_Squads_01.jpg

Battlefield-4_Squads_02.jpg

dlebwwLpYoQ3MXQ_.png Found on reddit

Trying to get any decent games this weekend has been a challenge. I am sure the fact that there is a bonus XP weekend means there are a lot more players coming on that wouldn't normally. And a lot more lag. At least it gave me the chance to complete the campaign. lol

keithc83 wrote: »
    Trying to get any decent games this weekend has been a challenge. I am sure the fact that there is a bonus XP weekend means there are a lot more players coming on that wouldn't normally. And a lot more lag. At least it gave me the chance to complete the campaign. lol

Please tell me you choose to unlock the m249.........:)

• Advertisement

Please tell me you choose to unlock the m249.........:)

Yep...Irish got it! lol
    Haven't used it yet though....any good?

Advertisement