Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Christmas Memories

• 04-02-2019 1:23pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So what are your favorite Childhood Christmas memories?

Some of mine are waiting for the Christmas RTE guide to come out so I could check what time the Den was starting on Christmas morning,

The Den Christmas crisis on Christmas Eve was also a big part of the build up.

Being 100% sure that I could hear the sleigh bells and the sled on the roof or see the glow of a red nose.

We only got fizzy drinks on very special occasions! (Kids are spoilt now :P) so seeing the stockpile of sweets, fizzy drinks and biscuits was always amazing.

Having stockings put at the end of our beds, presumably to keep us entertained when we woke up, and our presents were downstairs. As we got older the stockings ended up outside our bedroom doors, myself and my sister used to think we were being clever as we used to use Football socks as our Christmas socks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I used to love the Den crisis!

Some of mine were:

The 6 O Clock news on Christmas Eve giving an update on Santa's progress

Preparation of the Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve - my job was always to prep the sprouts - not as easy as it sounds, especially once my dad got notions about putting crosses at the bottom of them :P

My Dad used to work for Coke so he'd get staff sales at Christmas time & he'd come home with crates of "minerals" - we didn't get fizzy drinks that often! And then we'd help him make up mixed crates for all my auntys and uncles so that every house had a crate!

But the best one of all was the time that Santy came to visit us in our house & gave us all a 10 penny mix! I must have been about 8 & I remember just feeling in awe that he was in our house! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    The 6 O Clock news on Christmas Eve giving an update on Santa's progress

Yes!!! I still check in every year for that segment! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

So many memories !
    I will start with:
    writing the letter to Santa (also on behalf of younger sibling).
    My parents Santa kept them and we re-read some recently and they were hilarious.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

otnomart wrote: »
    So many memories !
    I will start with:
    writing the letter to Santa (also on behalf of younger sibling).
    Santa kept them and we re-read some recently and they were hilarious.

That is SUCH a good idea! What a great memory to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭gidget

One that sticks out for me was writing my letter to Santa and putting it up the chimney. That feeling i'd get when i went back to check later and it was gone.

Watching Santa Claus the Movie without fail every Christmas Eve as that was my vision of Santa and the North Pole, still watch it to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Christmas RTE guide +1.

And the glow from multi coloured christmas tree lights... somehow had a warmer glow than the current fashion fior clear / silver ice look.

My dads xmas company kids party trip to the cinema. Carlton on O Connell street.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It still irks me that they never released all of the Den Christmas Specials on DVD. They were so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Waking up on Christmas morning, and seeing my presents in the living area of the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

So many childhood christmas memories... off the top of my head...

My dad bringing home the RTE Guide, Radio Times & TV times and me marking off all the stuff I planned to watch (& mostly never did)

Getting a day off school in the run up to go in & see santa in switzers (showing my age there) & then arnotts after switzers was no more, we'd always get a gift from my mum & dad that day too & lunch in McDonalds, that was almost as big a day as christmas back then for us!!

Putting up the 'now retro' decorations & the same artificial tree for years, was convinced it was huge & remember being disappointed when clearing out my folks attic a couple of years ago & finding it & realising how small it looked.

Midnight mass on christmas eve (which was usually at 9pm bizarrely!!)

Being convinced I heard santa on the roof one year... & I mean convinced!!!

Staying awake every christmas eve night through pure excitement & raging because I wanted it to go quicker!!

Going down on christmas morning & dying to see what presents we'd all gotten. Still remember a bike, star wars stuff, star trek stuff, always getting the guinness book of records & annuals (Beano & Dandy and shoot or Match as I got older)

Going visiting my relatives in Cabra who all lived in 3 houses in a row on the one street. We did that for at least 20 years, up to the stage I remember being the designated driver so my dad could have a beer or two.

Remember how the holidays seemed to take an age to arrive & then every shop closed for what seemed like weeks and all the grown ups were off work.

Have loads more & will try to add to this later. Man, what great memories though!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Midnight mass on christmas eve (which was usually at 9pm bizarrely!!)

Being convinced I heard santa on the roof one year... & I mean convinced!!!

Staying awake every christmas eve night through pure excitement & raging because I wanted it to go quicker!!

Going down on christmas morning & dying to see what presents we'd all gotten. always getting the guinness book of records & annuals (Beano & Dandy and shoot or Match as I got older)

Remember how the holidays seemed to take an age to arrive & then every shop closed for what seemed like weeks and all the grown ups were off work.

Ah man so many similar memories. Trying to sleep on Christmas Eve was spot on!!!

I used to get the Beano and Dandy every year too!! Loved them!

And I still remember walking up town on the 27th of Dec and almost every shop was still closed.

• Advertisement

I would get the Dandy annual every Christmas as a present from my grandmother

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I always got the Twinkle annual, loved it

kitten_k wrote: »
    I always got the Twinkle annual, loved it

My sister's used to get that, and the Judy annual too.
    Are these things gone now or do they still exist? I know we got our vtwo a fortnite and LOL annual this year but they seem to be a rarity nowadays.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My sister's used to get that, and the Judy annual too.
    Are these things gone now or do they still exist? I know we got our vtwo a fortnite and LOL annual this year but they seem to be a rarity nowadays.

My sister got the Bunty and Judy every year too. (Although I think they were more for my Mam :P )

I seen a Beano and Dandy annual last year, even though the weekly comics have stopped. Not sure about the Judy and that.

• WINDING UP THAT CLOCKWORK bulldozer / trainset locomotive (I got TWO Clockwork trainsets in the 1970's)

PUTTING THOSE UTTERLY SHYTE EVER-READY AA BATTERIES INTO THAT toy car. (Every-ready batteries litterally only lasted 5 minutes, and then if you wanted to get the last dreggs of power out of them, you put them on the radiator)

• Loughc wrote: »
    It still irks me that they never released all of the Den Christmas Specials on DVD. They were so good!

Ah shure, maybe maybe RTE wants to bring it out on Blu Ray ha ha:D:pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    My sister got the Bunty and Judy every year too. (Although I think they were more for my Mam :P )

I seen a Beano and Dandy annual last year, even though the weekly comics have stopped. Not sure about the Judy and that.

The BUNTY!!! Thats the other girls one i was thinking of but couldnt remember, fair play!!!

I alwasy assumed I was older than you LoughC but we might be of more similar vintage than i thought!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Checking the RTE guide to see what time the Great Escape was on Christmas Day and then making sure I wolfed down dinner at my Granny's so could go watch it.

My Dad putting Bing Crosby's Christmas songs on the record player on Christmas morning when back from church.

Have to travel to Wexford in the car on Stephens Days to see my Mums family, showing my cousins my new toys. Falling asleep on the way home and waking up in the driveway at home.

When older going to friends houses on Christmas evening for cans and Roses!

Christmas time was like much of my childhood, happy memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

TRS30 wrote: »
    Christmas time was like much of my childhood, happy memories.

What a lovely affirmation for your parents! :D The hope of every parent I think is that their children look back on their childhood with fond memories!

My father and I had a tradition of going to the pub on St. Stephen's Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

CheerLouth wrote: »
    What a lovely affirmation for your parents! :D The hope of every parent I think is that their children look back on their childhood with fond memories!

Agree 1000%, I'm probably guilty of not telling my parents enough of how grateful I am to them for giving me such a wonderful childhood.

I think it is only when you have kids of your own you really start to appreciate what is important. Both my wife and I want nothing more for our kids then for them to have happy memories of when there were young.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

So many of the same. I was in Dempsey's Den fan club, I even got a membership card.

My dad filling out the 'minerals' order form to be given to the milk man (we only had fizzy drinks on our birthday and at Christmas) and him pretending that we only needed milk.

Boxes of crisps. Tins of quality street.

Swearing blind that I heard santa on the roof. My mum showing us the robin in the back garden saying it was santa's spy and we should not be kicking the sh*te out of each other.

My dog receiving a doggie selection box from santa.

Making christmas decorations in primary school and I think there was a christmas magazine.

Being allowed to light candles, I love it to this day. Even on a random day I love lighting candles around the house, drives my OH nuts.

Having cousins over and playing wwe until someone started crying.

The selection boxes

branie2 wrote: »
    The selection boxes

The real deal too. Not the miniaturized one's we get nowadays.

The real deal too. Not the miniaturized one's we get nowadays.

The selection boxes nets with the big bars was the best.

Loughc wrote: »
    The selection boxes nets with the big bars was the best.

were they the mars and marathon one's? IIRC the Cadbury one's were always in boxes. Could be wrong though.

But yeah the net one's shaped like a sock were the business.

were they the mars and marathon one's? IIRC the Cadbury one's were always in boxes. Could be wrong though.

But yeah the net one's shaped like a sock were the business.

Yeah was Mars were the ones who did the nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yeah the net ones were Mars.

To add to the list, everyone stirring the pudding.

There seemed to be way more Christmas specials (scripted shows like comedy, drama) on TV, and once offs like Wallace & Gromit, Robbie the Reindeer, the Snowman.

• Advertisement

As a kid meeting Santa in department store \ christmas party and getting a small toy which was #1 toy until the big day itself.

Advertisement