Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

George Hook

• 22-05-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know what George is up to now? Havnt heard anything about him in ages

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just wondering does anyone know what George is up to now? Havnt heard anything about him in ages

Fairly active on Twitter
    https://twitter.com/ghook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I seem to recall George chatting away on the phone to Neil Prendeville on Cork's RedFM 104-106 FM one weekday morning between 09:00am-12noon.

Hook was talking about binge watching his favourite shows/films on the box and I think it was early on during the COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.

He seemed in good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I'd been Googling him periodically on YouTube to see if he had contributed anything.

But he did contribute to this show during the World Cup recently. He was regular enough on this.

He did a sit down with Theresa Lowe about a year back.

And he gave a good speech at the Irexit conference about the media and freedom of speech.

He should have set up his own Podcast or his on YouTube channel, even if just to keep his mind occupied. When I have heard him speak he said that he had been doing nothing since being axed by Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And he gave a good speech at the Irexit conference

He's gone full loopy, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

It would be great if he co presened the Stand with Emo or was interviewed on it

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    He's gone full loopy, then?

Well he sort of distanced himself from the Irexit movement at the start of the speech by saying that he was there to give a speech specifically about the media.
    omerin wrote: »
    Dunphy knows which side his Tesco bread is buttered on. If he got Hook on, even as a guest, the usual mob would picket Tesco. Dunphy used to be an independent, dissenting voice, but he knows which fences to stay between in order to keep Tesco on side.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dunphy knows which side his Tesco bread is buttered on. If he got Hook on, even as a guest, the usual mob would picket Tesco. Dunphy used to be an independent, dissenting voice, but he knows which fences to stay between in order to keep Tesco on side.

Very true. Google ‘deplatforming’ if you don’t get the point being made above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well he sort of distanced himself from the Irexit movement at the start of the speech by saying that he was there to give a speech specifically about the media.

Dunphy was always media establishment while posing as a rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Ahwell

omerin wrote: »

Pretty unlikely...
    Hook: 'I dislike Dunphy more than any other human being on the planet'
    "Dunphy is like Greece - full of crap but people keep giving him huge money"
    "Hook controversial by conviction; Dunphy by opportunism".
    "Found a voodoo replica of Dunphy here in Haiti - I have stuck a pin in his most obvious feature"

Ahwell wrote: »
    Pretty unlikely...

And don't forget this classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I miss George. I disagreed with a lot of the stuff he came out with, but he was intelligent, very frank and very entertaining. I pretty much gave up listening to Newstalk once he left. George was a bit of a wildcard, and that made his show interesting to listen to. Amongst all the blandness that pervades Irish radio, he really stood out. I wish there were more like him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'd agree.

For all Hook's bombast & bluster, there was an essential decency to the guy too, that came across if you listened to him for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

He was entertaining all right....but essentially is a self promoting windbag who stokes controversy to enhance his persona.This is very much in line with some of his bizarre pronouncements and predictions as a rugby pundit ....almost a replica of Dunphy..although he seems to have finally matured a little

southstar wrote: »
    This is very much in line with some of his bizarre pronouncements and predictions as a rugby pundit ....

Yeah I always enjoyed George on radio and TV. But he seemed to be universally hated by the rugby players. They certainly did not enjoy his coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thought he was a gas man, he bucked the trend many times. Full of bombast though, but hey as others have said it was refreshing amongst the bland, full on Left Wing tendencies of the vast majority of radio and other media these days. I knew he couldn't last long.

As for his replacement, I wouldn't turn her show on if I was stuck alone in the desert. I did listen once or twice just to see. That woman sure likes the sound of her own voice, and will not let anyone talk at all. Off switch pronto.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I notice people round here do be crying out for Sean Moncrieff and Matt Cooper to be balanced, yet Hook was rambling incoherently about vaccines and foreigners unchallenged and ye all think he's great!

Thought objective and impartial broadcasting was important to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I notice people round here do be crying out for Sean Moncrieff and Matt Cooper to be balanced, yet Hook was rambling incoherently about vaccines and foreigners unchallenged and ye all think he's great!

Thought objective and impartial broadcasting was important to ye.

It's not that important to me. I would take entertaining any day. There's a lot of virtue-signallers in the media that probably have different views off the airwaves, but George was pretty much an open book. He didn't seem to have a filter, and it was entertainiing to listen to. He wasn't always right, but, to be honest, I don't look to media figures to educate me or help form my opinions. I just liked listening to his drivel and his slobbering into the mic like a St. Bernard with a speech impediment. He's an old school guy, with a sense of humour and a fun personality, and I'd rather have a pint with George than any other Irish media figure.

Advertisement