Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 anniewilkes

Watching Man in the high castle - interesting concept but only okay so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching Man in the high castle - interesting concept but only okay so far.

The first season is slow and a bit unfocused; seasons 2 through to 4 really show a change in pace and direction.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The first season is slow and a bit unfocused; seasons 2 through to 4 really show a change in pace and direction.

Thanks! I will power on through so

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

American Gods is good, bit weird to start but definitely worth a watch as you get more into it.

Hunters is excellent. I would recommend that one. I loved The Boys, thought it was very good. The first two seasons of Jack Ryan were also very good. Picard is excellent so is Alex Rider.

The Widow is a good watch but then again I'd watch anything with Kate Beckinsale in it :D

I saw the first two seasons of The Man in the High Castle, need to continue watching that.

Watched the first season of Threadstone and it wasn't bad, entertaining and some very good fight scenes in it. It's entertaining like the way Jason Bourne movies were and based on those obviously.

James May in Our Man in Japan was enjoyable.

Couldn't get into Good Omens, the concept is good, but not my thing.

Rewatching House atm, I forgot how good Hugh Laurie was in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Started watching Upload, think a few people mentioned it when it was first released. I can see why there were comparisons with The Good Place but it's tonally quite different. I've only watched 3 episodes but I really like it so far.

• Advertisement

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford seems to have been added recently. Haven't seen it myself but have heard only very good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Probably been mentioned many times already, but Bosch is very good. Have watched 3 seasons now in a short enough space of time.

Also started watching Animal Kingdom. Was not sure after the first episode would it be very one dimensional , but it does get better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

2smiggy wrote: »
    Also started watching Animal Kingdom. Was not sure after the first episode would it be very one dimensional , but it does get better and better.

Loved Animal Kingdom! But I started watching it thinking the show had finished, but its still going. Amazon only have the first 3 seasons, so hoping they continue to pick up subsequent seasons......

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

The Americans is brilliant. Haven’t been this hooked on a series in a long time.

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    The Americans is brilliant. Haven’t been this hooked on a series in a long time.

It's great isn't it - was delighted when I stumbled across it

• Advertisement

Knives Out has been added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Honey Boy last night. Written by Shia LeBouf about his relationship with his father. Well worth a watch, even if it kind of ends a tad abruptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched Honey Boy last night. Written by Shia LeBouf about his relationship with his father. Well worth a watch, even if it kind of ends a tad abruptly.
    Leboeuf is excellent in it, as is the boy, Lucas Hedges. It's a bit of a downer of a film, but as you say, well worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭crushproof

mcgucc22 wrote: »

Terrific show, there's a dedicated thread for the Americans buried somewhere in the forum. Absolutely gripping show and baffling how it never gained a broader following

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Started watching The Boys over the weekend.

Quite enjoying it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just finished the boys, thought it was great, homelander is such a great character. I'm not into superhero stuff at all either. Billy really butchers his accent though, it has to be one of the worst attempts at cockney since Dick Van Dyke!

Super has been added. It's a great little film that got overshadowed by Kick Ass when it came out but it's definitely worth a watch.

Billy really butchers his accent though, it has to be one of the worst attempts at cockney since Dick Van Dyke!

I only watched 2 eps of it but I could not figure out if he was even trying to do an accent, he just sounded Australian most of the time bar the odd weirdly pronounced word.

I only watched 2 eps of it but I could not figure out if he was even trying to do an accent, he just sounded Australian most of the time bar the odd weirdly pronounced word.

Yeah, I thought he was just doing his normal accent - he's from New Zealand originally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I get the show is broadly liked but ye gods the accent is astoundingly bad. Borderline show derailing at times. Saved only by the díckhead charisma of Urbans performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched Knives Out after seeing it recommended on here. Really enjoyed it.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

pixelburp wrote: »
    I get the show is broadly liked but ye gods the accent is astoundingly bad. Borderline show derailing at times. Saved only by the díckhead charisma of Urbans performance.

I think his accent is deliberately over the top. Enjoyabe tv series, looking forward to season 2 in Sept

khalessi wrote: »
    I think his accent is deliberately over the top.
    You mean 'hammy', as in deliberately OTT for the sake of art. I think it's just sh1te. Deliberate or not though, it is annoyingly distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I watched Knives Out after seeing it recommended on here. Really enjoyed it.
    Agreed, watched it on the weekend. Wasn't what I was expecting at all. Quarter of an hour in I wasn't convinced at all but really enjoyed it once it found its stride

khalessi wrote: »
    I think his accent is deliberately over the top. Enjoyabe tv series, looking forward to season 2 in Sept

If everyone else was playing it broad and OTT, then yeah I'd be inclined to agree. Everyone else appears to be keeping it straight, bar maybe The Deep; I think Urban is doing his best myself, the end result being a bloody awful Cockney droll. Maybe it's a defence mechanism and Butcher intentionally aping the accent. The twist being he's actually from Ohio or sommit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I enjoy the first season of Preacher but I'm 4 epsidoes into season 2 and I'm really struggling.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I enjoy the first season of Preacher but I'm 4 epsidoes into season 2 and I'm really struggling.

Loved season 1. Season 2, I struggled with to the end, but didn't bother with it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Any idea why Prime no longer sending Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos for shows that had it? and if the video quality is still reduced due to Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Tag is worth a watch, found it surprisingly decent and better then I expected.
    Bit of hangover/game night vibe.

Advertisement