Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Only way to get Sky Go on a TV is to use a laptop connected to the TV via HDMI. There is no restriction this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

in2dark wrote: »
    Got the 1080 fire today. Super happy with it. Thanks op!

Only issue is that i was hoping to get the bbc iplayer working with my ipvanish vpn but no luck...

Any tips welcomed

Express VPN set to UK works for me. I also have region set to UK on firestick/amazon account and got them to switch over as well via chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Only way to get Sky Go on a TV is to use a laptop connected to the TV via HDMI. There is no restriction this way.

I use it on the ps4 and it's perfect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Having a couple issues with my Firestick 4K recently. The screen is going a discolouration, and blurry. The first couple times I just unplugged it and it went back to normal, it’s happening more frequently now though and this time I’m not getting back to normal at all.

Anyone have this problem or knows how to fix it? The sky Q & Android box is working perfect and I’ve tried different HDMI sockets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

gstack166 wrote: »
    Having a couple issues with my Firestick 4K recently. The screen is going a discolouration, and blurry. The first couple times I just unplugged it and it went back to normal, it’s happening more frequently now though and this time I’m not getting back to normal at all.

Anyone have this problem or knows how to fix it? The sky Q & Android box is working perfect and I’ve tried different HDMI sockets too.

Did you try it on a different TV?

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    Did you try it on a different TV?

No not yet, I’ve been looking online though and found a suggestion that I should go into display settings and change the dynamic range settings to adaptive instead of always 4K. It’s done the trick alright but is it just in my head or has that effected the HD as in turned it into SD? I feel like it has by the picture quality.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

gstack166 wrote: »
    No not yet, I’ve been looking online though and found a suggestion that I should go into display settings and change the dynamic range settings to adaptive instead of always 4K. It’s done the trick alright but is it just in my head or has that effected the HD as in turned it into SD? I feel like it has by the picture quality.

Is this on Netflix or the stick in general? Reason I ask is that I believe Netflix are switching to SD for a lot of their stuff at the moment, to help bandwidth (may be a sheer coincidence!)

Edited: Bitrate has changed, not quality! (But you still may see a variance of video quality)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

antodeco wrote: »
    Is this on Netflix or the stick in general? Reason I ask is that I believe Netflix are switching to SD for a lot of their stuff at the moment, to help bandwidth (may be a sheer coincidence!)

They've not switched anything to SD, they have just reduced the bitrate.

antodeco wrote: »

Was on the stick in General, it could barely function to find Netflix the screen was that pink. I did I a lot of searching on google & Reddit & found out it’s happening quite a lot of people, some have found permanent fixes others not so much.

I done a factory reset of my Toshiba 4K UHD tv & it’s fixed the problem for me. Just strange Cos I’ve had that Firestick since it’s release day & the TV longer again & never had a problem with either.

I’ll post again if the pink screen returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

If it's the 'stick, Amazon customer care will send out a replacement once it's under the 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No talk about illegal services please. Paying someone for effectively stolen TV is banned here.
    I would also recommend you have a quick google for an insight into this industry and where your money may be going to

I have a separate account for my firestick with America as home. It gives a lot more stuff free such as crackle, IMDb TV etcbut you also need a vpn.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Any offers on 4k or normal firesticks lately, or upcoming??

micknail wrote: »

Yes about 3 weeks ago and crystal ball i.e. who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Next weekend perhaps with the bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Next weekend perhaps with the bank holiday weekend.

Bank Holiday in UK is the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

The xiaomi mi tv stick is due to be released in May also, so this would be another contender coming in around the same price or lower hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

There's been a price reduction every month except January since last November, according to Keepa. With most occuring around some sort of holiday and the fact that there are two bank holidays in the UK in May, hopefully there's another drop coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

fast_eddie wrote: »
    Yes the 4K absolutely will work here but you need to install the Prime Video app because the one that is pre-installed will not work in Ireland.

You will probably also need to contact Amazon support to enable UK video for your Prime account - best done via online chat, after adding a UK address to your account and setting it as the default.

Hi.
    Trying to enable watching Amazon Prime videos on Firestick. Got year free video for a year through Eir

For uK address- does a parcel motel Northern Ireland address work?
    Do I need a UK credit card number? Was on chat & told that I need a UK card & UK billing address. According to others here they managed without.

I asked them can they enable without & they said can't do so due to security concerns.
    On Amazon site I have UK set to country/region.
    "video unavailable. Your device's current location setting might be incorrect or unsupported. To verify location settings... is what I get when attempting to watch a video.
    Support also telling me that I have Prime only in Ireland & they cna't change it.

Would be delighted to get this sorted.
    Are there many videos availble in the UK that aren't here btw?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Any bargains coming up for 4k Amazon fire stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They are sporadic and unpredictable, use camel camel camel for a notification is the best you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was in the same boat, didn't have to wait long, maybe 1 week.

Has anyone had any hassle getting a 4k stick to connect to a sky router?

Heard they can be problematic for some reason

McMurphy wrote: »

Mine doesn't like 5GHz wifi in general, works then doesn't work etc. I stick with 2.4GHz

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxb2ktvayRwCIN9kBKgxUiQ

Highly highly recommend anyone with a firestick having a look at this youtube channel. I also recommend her filelinked app which gives you a lot of the apks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭shmeee

McMurphy wrote: »

No problem connecting to the sky router here, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi channels are overlapped so it will connect to the most stable one.

We have noticed the Sky Broadband has been dropping a bit late at night over the last few weeks, 10pm - 1am timeframe, connection speeds slow down by about 75%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

shmeee wrote: »
    No problem connecting to the sky router here, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi channels are overlapped so it will connect to the most stable one.

We have noticed the Sky Broadband has been dropping a bit late at night over the last few weeks, 10pm - 1am timeframe, connection speeds slow down by about 75%.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

This is my second week of editing. I think there won't be discounts due to COVID-19 situation. That's what I think. I will get from currys next week if they are open on Monday.
    dinneenp wrote: »
    I was in the same boat, didn't have to wait long, maybe 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭headnorth

4k Fire stick on very.cuk.Dont know if they deliver to parcel motel etc...

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amazonfire-tv-stick-4k-with-all-new-alexa-voice-remote-now-only-3499-at-very-3467458

Non 4k fire stick down to £24.95 on currys.co.uk.Dont know if they deliver to parcel motel etc...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/amazon-tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/304_3021_30021_79781_xx/xx-criteria.html

• Advertisement

headnorth wrote: »
    4k Fire stick on very.cuk.Dont know if they deliver to parcel motel etc...

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amazonfire-tv-stick-4k-with-all-new-alexa-voice-remote-now-only-3499-at-very-3467458

Non 4k fire stick down to £24.95 on currys.co.uk.Dont know if they deliver to parcel motel etc...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/amazon-tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/304_3021_30021_79781_xx/xx-criteria.html

Will be surprised if Amazon don't follow suit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement