Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is someone you inexplicably can't stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That is such an inane thing to say. How can you forgive the guy his face, just because… really. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Fergal Bowers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Rory O’Connor unfunny and trying to exploit the mental health market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I get the feeling he's trying to score a TV show. Some kind of gig.

For a supposed 'comedian' he's one miserable individual. Watched him on 'Celebrity Hell Week'... He spent the whole show crying and whining. Anyone else had their 'breakdown' moment, but it was maybe one or two. He was crying the whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Even Jason Byrne is playing the mental health card now. Wouldnt mind but I remember years ago reading an interview with him where he described himself as a "happy chappy" and basically scorned the idea that great comedians suffer from mental issues (Peter Sellers etc)

• Advertisement

Every dog & his mother is at the ol' mental health 'avocacy/ guru' carry on these days ........ Let's be honest.....Roz Purcell, Bressie, blind lad in the boat club& Jason Byrne......... they wouldn't exactly be inspirational 'go to' guys if you felt you were 'stumbling' a bit on the path through life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If your becoming irrelevant jump on the mental health bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m glad others are starting to see through this charade now... none of the gobshîtes have anything approaching a qualification to get on tv, radio or any media / public platform waffling about it... it’s dangerous too quite frankly...

want advice on psychology listen to a psychologist.

want advice on a medical issue listen to a doctor.

———————

could I develop an interest in diabetes and start calling myself a ‘diabetes advocate’ ??? Dishing out advice and opinions on the condition, treatment, supports, what to do / what not to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Unfortunately Strumms there are even bigger stults out there who listen to these goons.

Once I hear these ‘advocates’ ‘activists’ ‘personal trainer’ ‘influencer’ types come on the radio in casa Bendar the OFF

button gets a fair auld whack of the butter knife.

These chancers have necks like a cavalry persons saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

Adele. Made an absolute fortune out of terrible, boring songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If you haven't been hit with a rubber bullet, sprayed with pepper spray, thrown in prison for a night, or in faced adversity for protesting something you believe in- you're not an activist, you're a nuisance. Going on instagram/ twitter/ tiktok or whatever to 'take a stance' isn't being an activist... Someone saying their opinion, in a public arena, and allowing discussion and debate-that's activism. You can't 'block' or 'mute' an individual for saying anything. Instead, you have to educate yourself, and counter their argument.

We have Joe O'Shea now, being a 'vaccine activist'... just get lost. He's not medically trained to give advice, and he's calling for Draconian measures to be imposed on people. He didn't care when he went drunk driving, only when he got caught. And he didn't care about other people's health when he went to some pub to smoke indoors, to 'protest' the smoking ban, after some publican decided he wasn't going to stick to the smoking ban. He ended up paying a huge fine over it, at the time. (Joe wrote about it for some paper he was writing for, think it was the Sunday World. Photographed himself smoking too.) He's an absolute brat, but Claire Byrne wheels him out, every chance she gets, to give his crappy opinion on anything.

That Joe o shea really is a 'busted flush' .....totally irrelevant bluffer..... was watching him the other night on claire byrne show.....if his ranting was designed to get the ' vaccine hesitant' to maybe reconsider, perhaps come on board, well that TOTALLY backfired. He wasn't just promoting draconian measures for the 'unvaccinated' ...... he was actually promoting compulsory jabbing..... north Korean carry on

And I have had my vaccine, just to clarify too. I've had both jabs, fully vaccinated. (Doubt I'll need a third, because I don't have any underlying conditions).

O'Shea is just.... He's a failed journalist, turned failed TV presenter, now turned failed 'Expert on everything'. He'll be talking Mental Health next.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sandz066

Is that the fella who used have a telly preview column in one of the Irish Tabloids and appears on the odd entertainment slot on radio ?

Can't place him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

A buddy of mine worked on her latest song/video shot here in Quebec by local film director Xavier Nolan. Apparently, she was insufferable. Something like 4 bodyguards constantly tailing her, she did not want to be looked at, a precious ounce of stardust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

I can imagine that her fame and wealth have gone to totally to her head. Living in LA wouldn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seems I’m not alone in not having a high opinion of these influencer types who project an utterly false life to their followers. The old activist tag is thrown around fierce easily these days.

That guy Jussie smollett really showed that crowd up when he staged a racist attack on himself and we had all the Hollywood crowd tripping over themselves to say that stand with him and when it was shown he was fuller than a Christmas turkey they couldn’t delete their tweets fast enough. I’m all for equality in whatever form that takes, but in my view equality takes many forms including when it comes to legitimate criticism when someone says stupid ****.

And as others have said mental health is trotted out now far too easily. Like many here I’m sure we know friends and family who have genuine mental health issues and I’ll be honest it’s awful to see and then you have people who use it to cover for something stupid they did or said and people who have no professional qualifications in the area being treated the same a medical person trained in this area. I’m reminded of the Dara O Briain sketch about the debate between the dentist and some eijit who removed his own teeth with string and a door. I’m sorry but no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We certainly do tolerate rank mediocrity in public figures in Ireland.

Though I hear Vogue Williams has found herself become so irrelevant, that she had to invent some fantastical kidnap threat story.

Thats one chap I really can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That we do. The word celebrity is doing some heavy lifting these days.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/the-show-robbed-me-of-my-life-and-friends-i-was-exhausted-26458237.html

He's the smug git who isn't Grainne.

To paraphrase the comedian Colin Murphy, we celebrate mediocrity in this country. He was referring to how every Irish movie gets heralded as 'THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER', if it was made in Ireland, or made by Irish filmmakers in Ireland.

(And you forget these movies ever existed. Case in point- 'The Halo Effect'. Was 'praised' by Irish film critics, came out in 2004, but nobody remembers it. Didn't even get aired on TV too often. Or, the Roddy Doyle movie 'When Brendan Met Trudy' which came out in 2000. Was heavily praised when it was released, Flor Montgomery was said to be 'the next big thing'... and nobody remembers that movie. It was an awful 'comedy' written by Doyle, back when people gave a crap about his writing.)

The IRish critics were fawning all over 'The Last Duel'. The film bombed. Won't make it's money back. Some valid criticism's were aimed at it. But didn't stop RTE giving it 5 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He used to co-present the Afternoon Show with Grainne Seoige till he quit suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m sure there are some Vietnam vets that disagree with joe O’Shea and may feel active duty in an unforgiving war zone in a brutal war that you cannot win might be a tad more stressful than being a tv presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭Shoog

Daniel ODonal with his creepy man child vibe and his trophy wife to make him look hetro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

"We certainly do tolerate rank mediocrity in public figures in Ireland." And we pay some of them an absolute fortune

Seoige and O'Shea. That was the imaginatively titled name of the show. Joe left, so RTE got the bright idea of replacing him... with another Seoige. So they added Sile Seoige to the show, and it got rebranded as 'Seoige'.

Lasted 12 months, then RTE gave it the axe without telling Grainne or Sile. They heard about it the same time as the rest of us did. Grainne wasn't happy. Think it was the first time she'd been fired from a media gig. (Usually she skips out when she starts to feel the ship sinking. As happened with Sky News Ireland.)

I give her credit-she didn't do a Muireann O'Connell and whine about it for the next year or two.

My favourite was when we did the spin-off of 'strictly come dancing' & they called it 'dancing with the STARS'........ that was a classic...... it should've been called ' dancing with the STAFF'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Joe Pasquale

Advertisement