Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I could be way off the mark here but regarding the Kinihan boxing stories or lack there of maybe journos are still a bit nervous of reporting on those types after Veronica Guerin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

cms88 wrote: »
    With Joe.ie etc in trouble at the moment be interesting to see if something like that could happen OTB. It's going a little down that line in recent times. Plus the fact its on 24 hours a day now, or seems like that anyway, will/are people getting sick of it?
    Going off topic now, but why are Joe.ie in trouble? People are still online, but (given the current climate) maybe they want to get their news from a more established/reputable source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭cms88

Going off topic now, but why are Joe.ie in trouble? People are still online, but (given the current climate) maybe they want to get their news from a more established/reputable source?

I think a lot of it has to do with being caught telling advertisers the usesrs was more than they actually were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The fùckin Diouff and Heskey ad bit is enough to make me switch off. Again.

What really annoys me about that is that it is very obviously sarcastic and mocking of both Heskey and Diouff. Heskey was in studio with them a while back and gave them an interview, and is generally very decent guy. A guy who was certainly not the most talented but still managed to get capped for his country and win a few trophies. So to use their "joke" about him in order to promote their gambling sponsor is in really bad taste.

And these are the same OTB reporters that complain about bullying and "when mocking goes to far" in the football dressing room. Not adverse to their own bit of mocking when it is financially rewarding. Surely not something you would expect from the outwardly virtuous and moral Off The Ball team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

What really annoys me about that is that it is very obviously sarcastic and mocking of both Heskey and Diouff. Heskey was in studio with them a while back and gave them an interview, and is generally very decent guy. A guy who was certainly not the most talented but still managed to get capped for his country and win a few trophies. So to use their "joke" about him in order to promote their gambling sponsor is in really bad taste.

And these are the same OTB reporters that complain about bullying and "when mocking goes to far" in the football dressing room. Not adverse to their own bit of mocking when it is financially rewarding. Surely not something you would expect from the outwardly virtuous and moral Off The Ball team.

Bang of Ger off that whole thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:y_r6uK2B2x0J:https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/owner-of-joe-ie-lays-off-nine-staff-following-turbluent-period-1.4157362+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Quite disgusting to hear them tipping long shots and encouraging bets

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Quite disgusting to hear them tipping long shots and encouraging bets

Yeah?
    Why?

The interview with Barnes was off the wall.

John got on to talk about race for a change and was talking about the changes that white women make to themselves to make themselves beautiful. "Black, big lips, and a big bum... so if that's the idea of beauty - why if you have a black woman with big lips, and a big bum, is that not the image of beauty? Because she is not white"

Even Joe was sorry he went down the social justice path today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The interview with Barnes was off the wall.

John got on to talk about race for a change and was talking about the changes that white women make to themselves to make themselves beautiful. "Black, big lips, and a big bum... so if that's the idea of beauty - why if you have a black woman with big lips, and a big bum, is that not the image of beauty? Because she is not white"

Even Joe was sorry he went down the social justice path today.
    Listened to it earlier and thought it was very bizarre. Barnes seemed very aggressive I thought. I always saw him as articulate and speaks well about the racist issues but to be honest he let himself down in that interview in my opinion.He was way too confrontational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And there's Gilesy with another of his 'old sayings in football'" that nobody else has ever heard of..."He's played one season and he has ten years behind him"

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Looking forward to hearing John Giles’ All Time San Marino XI next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing John Giles’ All Time San Marino XI next week.

That whole series has been excellent (although i think I've missed a couple of them).

I always enjoy hearing discussions about players from the past particularly those ones that don't get mentioned at all anymore.Even though I know a fair bit about players from back in the day I'd never really heard of Mike England and yet John Giles seems to view him as one of the best of that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm very concerned for John Giles after listening to last night's show and his recent appearances on The Stand.

Seems increasingly confused, stumbling over names, had to be told who the manager of Real bloody Madrid was and most worryingly-repeating the same story just a couple of minutes after telling it.

Text book Alzheimers symptoms.
    Hope I'm wrong obviously.

I think Joe really noticed it as well and I don't think he was engaged in what turned out to be a rambling discussion as he should have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I'm very concerned for John Giles after listening to last night's show and his recent appearances on The Stand.

Seems increasingly confused, stumbling over names, had to be told who the manager of Real bloody Madrid was and most worryingly-repeating the same story just a couple of minutes after telling it.

I think Joe really noticed it as well and I don't think he was engaged in what turned out to be a rambling discussion as he should have been.

He is nearly 80 years old so it's hardly surprising if he's a little doddery at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

So he sounds exactly the same as he did 20 years ago? It’s just him.

I don’t like listening to him on off the ball as whatever he says is gospel and he isn’t challenged or corrected so he just rabbits on. His podcasts with Dunphy and Brady on the other hand is complete night and day, he’s challenged and corrected, seems a lot more engaged and interested. Night and day between his OTB performances and podcasts with Dunphy and Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Did anyone listen to the Saturday Panel about the Clare/Limerick rivalry? I think it could have been the worst presenting I have ever heard. John Duggan didn't seem to be listening to the guests or else he's totally out of touch. I know Joe Molloy and Ger Gilroy get some slack but this was on a totally different level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Did anyone listen to the Saturday Panel about the Clare/Limerick rivalry? I think it could have been the worst presenting I have ever heard. John Duggan didn't seem to be listening to the guests or else he's totally out of touch. I know Joe Molloy and Ger Gilroy get some slack but this was on a totally different level.

He’s gone very cranky with the pay cut and the Cheltenham backlash. He posted a very silly photo of the crowds at the start of Cheltenham on Twitter with the caption “WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE”. Think he also lost his shirt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

I don't think Joe has much time for him anymore, which I think is a shame. Nathan handles the segment much better usually. More used to him I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

Had given up on the Saturday show myself shortly before the virus kicked off, used to listen most weeks but just can't stand listening to John Duggan for a whole show. Was grand when he was just doing reports.

• Advertisement

I think they have done a good job of filling the time, which they have somehow managed to do without there being any sport on at all. Agree about Giles, it's a very difficult decision for the guys though. They would pretty much have to ring him up and tell him they don't want him on the show any more. I mean who wants to do that?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The Mount Rushmore segments on OTB AM are brilliant. Proper in-depth conversations about sport stars past and present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Richie McCormick always tries to include a SJW story on the hourly News and Sport update. Today he's reporting on Lewis Hamilton’s comments on a statue torn down in the UK.

Not sure what that has to do with Formula One or sport in general, but it's allows the OTB boys show how woke they are I suppose.

Richie McCormick always tries to include a SJW story on the hourly News and Sport update.

It's completely spoiling the show at this stage. Sport is almost secondary to virtue signalling at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Richie McCormick always tries to include a SJW story on the hourly News and Sport update. Today he's reporting on Lewis Hamilton’s comments on a statue torn down in the UK.

Not sure what that has to do with Formula One or sport in general, but it's allows the OTB boys show how woke they are I suppose.
    I actually heard that piece, Richie is one pain in the hole all the same. Irrespective of his social justice crusade, he just has a sneering condescending tone. As if the others aren't quite his equal. And don't get me started on his attempts at "banter" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Did they “cover” Raheem Sterling talking about how the only disease is the racism being fought?

Hopefully, for your sake, they left it out. That level of boiling piss could do some serious damage.

Stay safe out there, listeners.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

sugarman wrote: »
    Ah Giles is alright, I mean his 20 minute odd weekly segment at an hour where theres not much else going on is hardly hurting anyone. He still has his listeners and if anything it's just something to keep him busy at home at a time without any sport on or much company. I don't really mind him, but I can't take anything he says seriously either ..especially about the modern era. He hasn't been clued in on that for almost 20 years anyway. But these greatest XI segments are the type of thing he can get away with.

Many working in the show and listening have grown up with Giles being a constant voice throughout enjoying football.

He's definitely there as much for nostalgia as hard hitting analysis at this stahe and I don't mind him getting the slot. Irrespective of training methods, GPS monitoring, data scientists etc, it's no harm to be reminded that a lot of football is still influenced by the attitudes of the players and managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Johnny is in good form tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

They're going heavy down the Second Captains route now with the OTB as opposed to Off the Ball, especially bringing out their own app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭cms88

They're going heavy down the Second Captains route now with the OTB as opposed to Off the Ball, especially bringing out their own app.

Is Second Captains still a thing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement