Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

technocrat wrote:
    The current host is well past the 'use by' date!

Absolutely. Matt is a complete pain in the hole to listen to now. I roll my eyes everytime I hear him mention Trump. Yes Matt we know you hate Trump, must you remind us every chance you get? A bit cringe and pathetic for a grown man to be so bitter. Are the likes of him not supposed to be impartial? Why does he get a free pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Absolutely. Matt is a complete pain in the hole to listen to now. I roll my eyes everytime I hear him mention Trump. Yes Matt we know you hate Trump, must you remind us every chance you get? A bit cringe and pathetic for a grown man to be so bitter. Are the likes of him not supposed to be impartial? Why does he get a free pass?

Matt's hate list include:

Trump
    Boris
    Banks
    Successful RICH business people
    Builders
    Catholics
    The Goverment - unless it's far left.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ I forgot what this thread was like re. Echo chamber :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ I forgot what this thread was like re. Echo chamber :pac:
    You may not conform to the general sentiment on here, but at least you are free to express your view on that - which is more than can be said for the actual show, ironically enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I think a lot of the content and direction this show and others have taken, is producer driven and the likes of Matt or Pat Kenny on Newstalk, don't give as much of a shyte as they used to, to bother changing direction.
    I listened to TLW in the past but haven't in a few years now. Life's too short and with internet radio, there's no reason to confine yourself to the domestic choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I remember when TLW originally began. There are plenty of times, i absolutely cannot stand Dunphy and his hypocritical attitudes to things, but, boy oh boy, it was a cracking show. If the debate was good, then everything, news, ads, the lot went out the door. I remember one evening, the 6 O'Clock news was broadcast at 6.20.
    One evening he interviewed Andrew Morton, who hadwritten a book about Diana. When the book was published, months before, he decried the author as a muck raker, but when he had him on the show he gave him a soft interview complimenting the so called brilliant book. I texted in, as did quite a few listeners, and Dunphy did a full Mea Culpa, acknowledging his mistake.
    You certainly wouldnt get the like of that from the current host

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I remember when TLW originally began. There are plenty of times, i absolutely cannot stand Dunphy and his hypocritical attitudes to things, but, boy oh boy, it was a cracking show. If the debate was good, then everything, news, ads, the lot went out the door. I remember one evening, the 6 O'Clock news was broadcast at 6.20.
    One evening he interviewed Andrew Morton, who hadwritten a book about Diana. When the book was published, months before, he decried the author as a muck raker, but when he had him on the show he gave him a soft interview complimenting the so called brilliant book. I texted in, as did quite a few listeners, and Dunphy did a full Mea Culpa, acknowledging his mistake.

Funny now the news or whatever they call it lasts 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

In the early 00s you had Dunphy (with Navan Man, Drunken Politician and Fr Wishy Washy) on The Last Word.

You had Sam Smyth on the Sunday morning show.

Now you have Matt Cooper (with the 5 at 5 and 6 at 6) on The Last Word.

You have Mario Rosenstock on the Sunday morning show.

And on Newstalk you have Ciara Kelly instead of George Hook.

Sums it up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

BPKS wrote: »
    In the early 00s you had Dunphy (with Navan Man, Drunken Politician and Fr Wishy Washy) on The Last Word.

You had Sam Smyth on the Sunday morning show.

Now you have Matt Cooper (with the 5 at 5 and 6 at 6) on The Last Word.

You have Mario Rosenstock on the Sunday morning show.

And on Newstalk you have Ciara Kelly instead of George Hook.

Sums it up really.

Just to add to Sam Smyth, you had contributions from Ed Hayes also. Now we have someone from the journal.

Maybe we are wrong and that is what people want. If that is the case I don't want to be right.

Just to add to Sam Smyth, you had contributions from Ed Hayes also. Now we have someone from the journal.

Maybe we are wrong and that is what people want. If that is the case I don't want to be right.

CIr7TvC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Has Mat mentioned The Last Dance on Netflix at all?
    Just wondering what he makes of it given his denis Rodman experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i've stopped listening to the last word for one simple reason. the amount of ads. nothing to do with liberal bias or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Butson

Agree with all the sentiments above.
    Matt is of course entitled to his opinion like everybody else, but surely there should be some sense of impartiality when interviewing guests or chairing a debate.
    The treatment of Cal Thomas each week was scandalous (I stopped listening a few months back).
    The regular contributers then. Woke FM. The lady who does the TV recommendations. Jesus, painful. Doesn't pick shows on their merits, all about the feminist angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are about to talk about us "losing the run of ourselves re: Covid restrictions over the bank holiday weekend".

They surely have to say the march shouldn't have happened in this piece?

Edit: nothing so far....about house parties and how 50 participants could become 20,000 cases in 50 days.

No mention now many cases a crowd of 5,000 could become?

Edit: finally got a mention by the presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

It got a one line mention. That was it. And that was the same across the day on radio....Media have no interest in making an issue of this or previewing round 2 next Saturday which will no doubt be a bigger affair

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

jay0109 wrote: »
    It got a one line mention. That was it. And that was the same across the day on radio....Media have no interest in making an issue of this or previewing round 2 next Saturday which will no doubt be a bigger affair

It worries me that we have a media that turns a blind eye to this march just because they are afraid of being accused of something by criticising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BPKS wrote: »
    It worries me that we have a media that turns a blind eye to this march just because they are afraid of being accused of something by criticising it.

And it's even sadder cos they would have the backing of the majority. Perhaps silent majority but majority all the same.

But afraid to annoy a few thousand sjw folk , in case they get bad social media comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I just know Woke McDernott is at home tonight wondering how he can make the march more about him.

NIMAN wrote: »
    And it's even sadder cos they would have the backing of the majority. Perhaps silent majority but majority all the same.

But afraid to annoy a few thousand sjw folk , in case they get bad social media comments.

They're not afraid at all. They fully support the SJW's and will ignore anything that could be deemed as negative against them

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

jay0109 wrote: »
    They're not afraid at all. They fully support the SJW's and will ignore anything that could be deemed as negative against them

This is the case with loads in the Irish media. All woke liberals with no respect for anyone elses opinions. Especially prevalent in Today FM, RTE, the indo and Irish Times. At least the likes of Ivan Yates doesn't go with group think, unlike our Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

PhoneMain wrote: »

This is the case with loads in the Irish media. All woke liberals with no respect for anyone elses opinions. Especially prevalent in Today FM, RTE, the indo and Irish Times. At least the likes of Ivan Yates doesn't go with group think, unlike our Matt

Yates is the best but you forgot to name his own station, Newstalk. Probably the most woke of all our media outlets.

I switched off The Last Word for the final time tonight. The left leaning woke agenda of the programme has become too much for me to bare. I can’t continually expose myself to a media outlet that tells me that the things I believe do not represent the “correct” beliefs. You have your Jennifer Gannons and Roe McDermotts but few people ever mention the name Damien McLoughlin and this guy is just hard to listen to. So very hard. He’s an academic so that’s the first red flag but tonight this man was disgusted with UK MP Dominic Raab who gave a reasoned rationale as to why he would not like to take the knee. He was pretty much abused for abstaining from what is an optional show of support for the Black Lives Matter cause. In no way did I think this was compulsory but unfortunately, this is the road we are going down. Conform to the mob or it will consume you. Tonight, the Last Word was deleted from my podcast library.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Matt Cooper is perhaps the worst at importing British and American culture wars and playing them out with arguments on Irish radio.

He's only too happy to have extreme opinions on the air to whip up anger with the aim of improving ratings.

This has slowly crept into Irish media the last few years and Matt is the worst offender. He then tries to come across as a responsible broadcaster. All rubbish.

That was me done also when I heard this was coming on

Larissa Nolan,
    @bazashmawy
    and
    @EbunJoseph1
    join us to debate the issue of racism on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Always fascinated by the way Matt talks....

From the back of his throat, in particular words beginning with the ch sound highlight what I'm talking about.

That's all.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I switched off The Last Word for the final time tonight. The left leaning woke agenda of the programme has become too much for me to bare. I can’t continually expose myself to a media outlet that tells me that the things I believe do not represent the “correct” beliefs. You have your Jennifer Gannons and Roe McDermotts but few people ever mention the name Damien McLoughlin and this guy is just hard to listen to. So very hard. He’s an academic so that’s the first red flag but tonight this man was disgusted with UK MP Dominic Raab who gave a reasoned rationale as to why he would not like to take the knee. He was pretty much abused for abstaining from what is an optional show of support for the Black Lives Matter cause. In no way did I think this was compulsory but unfortunately, this is the road we are going down. Conform to the mob or it will consume you. Tonight, the Last Word was deleted from my podcast library.
    Better late than never I guess :D I gave up on TLW a while ago, but still follow this thread to keep an eye on proceedings. You actually raised an interesting point, which is probably for a wider debate, but how has this Twitter "mob" gained such prominence, and who has appointed them the arbiters of good and evil...a good old fashioned rational debate (remember those with opposing views) is a rarity these days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I did think the racism discussion would upset some of this threads regulars alright :D

I did think the racism discussion would upset some of this threads regulars alright :D
    Oh ya, sure we're all racists. We know that by now, they've told us enough for it to eventually sink in

But you’re missing the point and that is the problem with this type of biased radio show. You’ll have to point out where I criticised the show for talking about racism. How could any rational person criticise a current affairs show for discussing arguably THE current affair right now in racism? Please understand this: the guest Damien McLoughlin spoke of Dominic Raab’s preference not to kneel and because it wasn’t aligned to his own clearly-expressed morals, decided that this man was something akin to the devil. Here is my opinion: Raab clearly has reservations about the purpose and integrity of this kneeling craze and puts little faith in its ability to achieve real change. He therefore abstained because he is not in agreement with it. Those, apparently, are the facts of the matter which I explained without even mentioning the term ‘racist’. But these bull-headed imbeciles come on the show and fall over themselves to express the opinion that will gain them the most social capital with a woke and gullible listenership, the irony of that being I would guess that the majority of listeners are moderate, rational people who don’t view the world through woke goggles. It’s not just this incident which has me deleting the show. I’ve listened for years and I’ve finally had enough of it. From Jennifer Gannon’s weekly pick of feminist-centric shows of sexually assaulted women to Matt’s extraordinary propensity to mispronounce even the simplest and well-known names, I’m out. The show is garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I like Matt and the Last Word in general but by christ the man cannot pronounce his ths for ****e.

Advertisement