Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hes ok in very small doses , i dont think he believes in a single thing that comes out of his mouth

still prefer him to matt cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    hes ok in very small doses , i dont think he believes in a single thing that comes out of his mouth

still prefer him to matt cooper

That's not setting the bar very high. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i dont think he believes in a single thing that comes out of his mouth

Pretty much, he's there to wind it up and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That's not setting the bar very high. :D

thats the point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I don't buy the view that "it's all an act"
    - it gives him more credit than he deserves for presentation and acting skills.
    - it lets him off the hook. He can say what he wants with the deniability of "it's just my radio persona".
    - He's opinionated and self-centred. Why would he feel the need to fake these opinions? .
    - Well, he would say "it's all an act", wouldn't he.

He may well be may be faking the level of outrage he expresses though.
    But I don't really care about his opinions. They're predicatable and common-place. The problem is they intrude on interviews without any benefit.

I'm more amused/aghast at his lack of knowledge and preparation on topics, his rambling incoherent questions, his interruption of experts with his own poorly informed views (examples available). Maybe that counts as bantz these days.

"Aw-rite, thanks indeed for that".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I don't buy the view that "it's all an act"
    - it gives him more credit than he deserves for presentation and acting skills.
    - it lets him off the hook. He can say what he wants with the deniability of "it's just my radio persona".
    - He's opinionated and self-centred. Why would he feel the need to fake these opinions? .
    - Well, he would say "it's all an act", wouldn't he.

He may well be may be faking the level of outrage he expresses though.
    But I don't really care about his opinions. They're predicatable and common-place. The problem is they intrude on interviews without any benefit.

I'm more amused/aghast at his lack of knowledge and preparation on topics, his rambling incoherent questions, his interruption of experts with his own poorly informed views (examples available). Maybe that counts as bantz these days.

"Aw-rite, thanks indeed for that".

I actually think that his opinions are not common-place amongst the echo-chamber that is modern Irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Kevin Myers on now, seems to have been on the wine early

BPKS wrote: »
    I actually think that his opinions are not common-place amongst the echo-chamber that is modern Irish media

Okay, but that wasn't the point of my post, or the topic under discussion.

I come to damn Yates, not to bury him.

Pleased to hear Ivan showing a bit more respect, without the condescension, to the always informative Dr Cara A.

Which reminds me:
    Surprising how little (if any!) coverage Ivan provides on US politics and Trump. Don't ya think?

Some time ago Dr Cara A. made a passing comment to Ivan, "I know you're an admirer of Trump". To which Ivan mde no reply. Oh, that revealing I thought.
    Maybe Ivan's producers have banned the topic.

What a soft interview with MOLeary. Providing him a soap-box to address the nation. Is there anything else you'd like to tell a grateful nation, Mr O'L?
    No follow-up questions on the contentious topics, relying on listeners' text for some semblance of balance. Fits the current agenda of the show.

And there was Ivan railing against "supine journalists" not challenging the govt. the other day.

• Advertisement

The public perception of sportswomen in a tough physical contact sport. Such a good question for Irish rugby captain, Fiona Coghlan.

But Ivan has to balls it up with his rambling, badly-prepared question and making it about his own view.
    "I'm a great sports fan blah, blah .. and I enjoy women in tennis and football blah.. but I don't like watching your sport - or Katie Taylor"
    Bloody cheek!

But hey, on the plus side .. he got through an interview with Tom Dunne without interrupting with some inanity - like what horse racing apps are on his phone (yes, really).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,931 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The public perception of sportswomen in a tough physical contact sport. Such a good question for Irish rugby captain, Fiona Coghlan.

But Ivan has to balls it up with his rambling, badly-prepared question and making it about his own view.
    "I'm a great sports fan blah, blah .. and I enjoy women in tennis and football blah.. but I don't like watching your sport - or Katie Taylor"
    Bloody cheek!

But hey, on the plus side .. he got through an interview with Tom Dunne without interrupting with some inanity - like what horse racing apps are on his phone (yes, really).

Tom Dunne!!!

That was riveting,I’m sure.

Conveniently missing the point I see.
    Always a pleasure to listen to Tom Dunne on the topic of music. Very knowledgeable. Good replacement for Moncrieff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The way he reads text messages would do your head in.

Big dramatic sentences as if he's conveying the texters anger and mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Bit harsh on Ivan here imo, then again there aren't many threads where you open up and people are positive about the subject on here anyway.
    I like him, he's (overly) dramatic alright and then if you flick over to Ray D'Arcy you get the dreary alternative, or one of many dreary alternatives. Ah look, he can be a bit Dunphy-esque although I quite liked listening to Dunphy too, and he overplays things and stirs the pot but that's part of what I like about him, he has a bit of mischief about him.
    I'm not sure he deserves the criticism he's getting on this thread, flawed yes but entertaining yes. I'd happily switch to another channel on my commute if there were several better options but he's one of the better ones I can listen to at the time of day I drive at and wouldn't be too critical of him myself each to their own. Poor auld Ivan ;)

Harsh?
    Have you had a look at the personal vitriol posted around here?
    I am doing Ivan the courtesy of believing he menas what he says.
    Sympathy:
    Ever hear much sympathy from Ivan? "Suck it up, Just get on with it".
    He's too often keen to wind-up or patronise a guest. To no benefit. Nasty habit for a presenter IMO. So no "poor auld Ivan" sympathy available from me, sorry.
    Accurate, I'd say:
    His own words quoted. I've a few more I could add, and I don't even listen to the whole prog.

But on the positive side:
    When he's on the topic of Irish politics and Dail procedures\intrigue then he often finds a genuine spark of enthusiasm that communicates to the listener. Sometimes incisive questions.
    I believe his Relax the Lockdown topic is generally sincere, not just an agenda for the programme.
    He is interrupting less in interviews with the local regulars. That's a help.

Spurred by your kind-hearted view I've resolved to take a more benign view of Ivan's shortcomings - even if it means switching him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yates is grand. There are some topics he hasn't got a clue about and he fails miserably at them but on politics he is strong enough. He doesn't take himself or things too seriously. I think he was around the block enough to know he is making feck all difference to how the things will pan out as a presenter . Nothing worse than current affairs presenter thinking they will change the world with their broadcasting. I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I really must be loosing the plot, Ivan and myself agree on something! He was putting the knife into the ridiculous carry on by some members of the Green party in relation to government participation - Neasa Hourigan in particular.

What has been mentioned by anybody is the anti-democratic situation where a pack of nordie Green party members may be decisive in deciding whether we have a government in the Republic. :mad:

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yates is grand. There are some topics he hasn't got a clue about and he fails miserably at them but on politics he is strong enough. He doesn't take himself or things too seriously. I think he was around the block enough to know he is making feck all difference to how the things will pan out as a presenter . Nothing worse than current affairs presenter thinking they will change the world with their broadcasting. I like him.

Poorly informed, failing miserably on so many topics: Since when is that the acceptable standard from a presenter?
    (Curious how competent and prepared interviewers on RTE get so much stick on this forum and Ivan get a pass)

Strong on Irish politics. True, as I mentioned earlier.
    What other politics is he strong on?
    He was hopeless on Brexit last year, took him forever to get any grasp of the topics.

Ivanism finishing an interview with Farage.
    "And so you're enjoying life. You enjoy a pint , as I do"
    Not having the wit to realise Nigel's pint of bitter, man of the people image is PR generated.

In another interview Ivan fails to contradict Farage when Nigel claims Maybot fell into the EU's trap of the NI backstop.

A friend of mine told me he interviewd Edwina Curry recently. Though I'd normally be curious to hear Ewina taking on all-comers on Newstalk I don't think I can force myself to listen Yates at the moment.

While I'm here....

The last day I listened someone from the Off-the-ball team gave a succinct report on the SpaceX launch to the ISpace Station.. Explaining that Nasa gave SpaceX and Boeing $3b each to fund competing projects.

Ivanism in response.
    "There was Apollo this and Apollo that ... Who paid for this?"
    That was after he confused astrology and astronomy.

If he can't come up with a simple, coherent question on space travel his team need to do better preparing questions for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Peter from Gort

This must be the 4th or 5th time he's quit, only to be back by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's a shame, if it's just a reshuffling of the current staff doubt I'll continue listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Not surprising news.

Obviously its an understatement to say he wasn't the most polished broadcaster.

But why I liked him is that he wasn't afraid to say what he thought (even when making a fool of himself) and didn't conform to the group think of the rest of the Today FM/Newstalk current affairs (and Sport!) shows.

On a related note, I see the Off The Ball thread on the Radio forum is still locked a week later. I hope the Mods are not trying to shut down the fact that OTB were blatantly caught failing to report (until it was pointed out on that thread and hey presto it appeared a few hours later) the conclusion of the FBI investigation they had told us lots about in the days before - just because they didn't like what the conclusion was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think newstalk will have to go poaching, I don't think they are strong at succession planning.

Unless they have plans for Mark Cagney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He did flag it long time ago and he confirmed it earlier this year so they must have done some planning in the background even if they were hoping he will stay. I'll miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this was in the phoenix a few months back. maybe bring over matt cooper and leave today fm go with more music?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is Ivan leaving? Just caught end of his intro and sounded like a goodbye

ETA just seems post above, I’ll miss him, not as good as when it was him and Chris on breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

He indicated that his home was secured as well...also it's a bit strange that he said he couldn't hold down a broadcasting career in Enniscorthy, especially with all the working from home presenters such as Pat Kenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Allinall

pc7 wrote: »
    Is Ivan leaving? Just caught end of his intro and sounded like a goodbye

ETA just seems post above, I’ll miss him, not as good as when it was him and Chris on breakfast.

Leaving radio and TV at the end of July.

His wife retired from teaching, so they're moving back down to Wexford.

I've always enjoyed his programme. Never took anything too seriously.

Advertisement