Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Expanse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The audiobooks got me through finishing Season 3 (about 2 years ago) and today. I've listened to first 5 and they're great. Haven't listened to one in a while now so will probably go to book 6 after finishing S4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

just watched season 4.
    enjoyable , good set up for season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Back Dec 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I just rewatched season 1, it's WAY better than I remembered.

Looks like its been renewed for just one more season. I guess they might drop the last book. A helluva lot left of the story to fit into two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are the books worth reading if you've watched the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

beauf wrote: »

Yes definitely

Yeah, they're a great read. I bought them for Kindle a few months back, maybe 50e or so for the 8 books. Handy to have a good excuse to log off work for an hour each day and read at lunchtime. Burned through them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Funnily enough, I didn't much care for the two books in the series I read but I really love the TV show. I also enjoyed the Long Price Quartet, which is written by Daniel Abraham who is one half of James S.A. Corey. So dunno what it was that was missing for me but I may end up finishing the series via the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

ixoy wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I didn't much care for the two books in the series I read but I really love the TV show. I also enjoyed the Long Price Quartet, which is written by Daniel Abraham who is one half of James S.A. Corey. So dunno what it was that was missing for me but I may end up finishing the series via the books.

+1, I thought the TV show was better than the books (which were pretty good too IMHO)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The books started great for me but had diminishing returns by the third.

Not enough character arc maybe. They were great to start though, and I tend to get bored with series quickly.

TV was really good, too.

It looks like the first 3 eps for the new season will drop on Dec 16. Then it's weekly after that. I've a funny feeling that I might have a bunch of "meetings" to attend the morning of the 17th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess it worked for The Boys, despite the histrionic howls of some on Twitter. I like it myself, a nice halfway between a binge drop and drip feeding the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

7b0a6d42613e85210083061e10a00dfa.gif

That's one of my favourite scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Season 5 is going very well I have to say. Can't believe I have to wait a week between episodes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Don't know how I missed this tv series.. remember watching the 1st 2 episodes but seemed to have lost it after. A very good series, flying through them now..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Really enjoying season 5, think it's the best season overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,332 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I know he is mad but its hard not to agree with Marcos when he gets going

No one is safe around him. Family, friends, allies never mind enemies. The reverse is also true. Everyone sees him as a threat, and will take him out at the first opportunity.

That's said the Expanse is rarely predictable.

• Advertisement

No one is safe around him. Family, friends, allies never mind enemies. The reverse is also true. Everyone sees him as a threat, and will take him out at the first opportunity.

That's said the Expanse is rarely predictable.

He does have some good points and is bloody charismatic about getting them across. Definitely mad though and
    made comments in the latest episode that he would be willing to go to soviet famine extremes to win

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's certainly the nature of the character, both broadly as leader of the Free Navy, and as the former lover of Naomi: he's a quintessentially "toxic" figure in being both disarmingly magnetic, yet an utterly destructive element in the lives of those he touches. He's not exactly wrong with the conclusions he draws about the shifting power structure of the solar system, but he pulls a lot of lost souls into his orbit.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I don't find the Mars story arc that credible. Or the belter population being so large. But I'll suspend any disbelief and just go with it. But its the foundations of Marcos current story arc. So it nags.

Which part of the Mars arc do you find lacking credibility out of curiousity? I thought it was one of the more understandable, logical ones that fell out from the Ring Gate appearance.

People don't lose their cultural identity that fast, and you wouldn't give up a tech/military advantage that fast, and to you one of your main threats. Not on the scale required in this story arc.

It would make more sense to find a new habitable world, then move en-masse to that, with like minded people. At least stake claim and enforce with your tech/military advantage. New Mars as such. But if there are such planets isn't clear. Also there are risks that the planet may have dormant dangers. Also that the route to the planet could close at any time. So you wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket like that. You'd hedge your bets.

The other problem is the population of the belt. There only a tiny % on the stations we've seen. Yet they are the most important stations in the belt. Where is the other 99.9% of the population and how are they being fed and surviving.

Maybe this is explained in the books (which I've just stated reading) better. Anyway its a niggle. I'm not going to think about it too hard.

I haven't watched this week's episode yet, so not sure where exactly the Mars plot is going on-screen versus the novels - but I'm 2 books ahead of the show overall, so a bit cautious about spoiling too much.

The series hasn't always done a great job showing the extent of the Martian mindset though: just how militarised the entire planet is - almost cult-like - all working lockstep towards a single goal of turning an inhospitable planet into a garden. That everyone had bought into the need for planetary unity above personal desires, and the acceptance that even the grand-kids won't see the rewards of the work. Culturally, Martian identity had bought into an idea of working towards a very abstract, lofty goal; Mars is their home - but in the middle of the biggest renovation project ever undertaken. Accepting the reality that Earth was the only planet with an atmosphere; then the ring-gate came along and was like a coldwater shock to the system for a lot of Martians; suddenly generations of effort and sacrafice felt like a total waste.

Now, there's more to the fallout than this, but to say more is to spoil major threads from books 6 (ish) and 7.

As to the Belt; again the TV series has shown its limitations of budget & perspective. There are hundreds of stations across the belt, mostly based upon the smaller moons of the planets, and especially the various random Asteroids dotted about the system (usually for mining purposes IIRC). Tyco etc. are the major "cities" by dint of size but the Belt is thinly spread out, which is why it has always been so difficult to "rule" - and for The Belt to coalesce around a centralised voice or figurehead.

Re. food, the belt exists via hydroponics (see Season 3, where we visited the breadbasket of the belt on *checks notes* Ganymede) and various Soy/reclamation foods IIRC. Again, not really touched upon by the TV series but the Belt is broadly self-sufficient, if not especially rich on luxuries like fresh fruit & vegetables. It's why they're big into noodles and rice, and other foodstuffs that don't necessarily need a tonne of water...

The series implies the belt is not self-sufficient. At least that was my understanding. Hence any issues around Ganymede etc. Have far reaching implications.
    If the belt is self- sufficient there is no reason to be dependent on earth. Which is a core premise of the TV show. Which then has implications for Marcos strategy and his future plans, whatever they are.

With Mars its just a too simplistic that its culture just vanishes. We know from human history that rarely does a cultural identity just disappear so fast even after massive events.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

The series implies the belt is not self-sufficient. At least that was my understanding. Hence any issues around Ganymede etc. Have far reaching implications.
    If the belt is self- sufficient there is no reason to be dependent on earth. Which is a core premise of the TV show. Which then has implications for Marcos strategy and his future plans, whatever they are.

With Mars its just a too simplistic that its culture just vanishes. We know from human history that rarely does a cultural identity just disappear so fast even after massive events.

Belters could be self sufficient (at a basic level anyway) if given the opportunity to govern themselves were they not under the heel of Earth/Mars. From the outset we see they're also beholden to the corporations that own/run the facilities that provide food/air/water and those that process the resources that brought humanity out there in the first place.

With Mars it's not that their culture has just vanished but it has been fundamentally undermined because of the ring gates and its most precious resource, its people, are leaving. Why stay & toil in the hope that your great-grandchildren will experience a world with atmosphere when there are uncolonised planets suddenly available for all to inhabit. And those that do stay suddenly have a much greater & longer challenge ahead.

saneman wrote: »
    Belters could be self sufficient (at a basic level anyway) if given the opportunity to govern themselves were they not under the heel of Earth/Mars. From the outset we see they're also beholden to the corporations that own/run the facilities that provide food/air/water and those that process the resources that brought humanity out there in the first place.

If they are reliant on food and water from the corporations, they are not self sufficient. I don't see how that is possible with 50 billion scattered over a vast area. I'm being pedantic. I realize that. I should just wait and see how the TV series resolves.
    saneman wrote: »
    With Mars it's not that their culture has just vanished but it has been fundamentally undermined because of the ring gates and its most precious resource, its people, are leaving. Why stay & toil in the hope that your great-grandchildren will experience a world with atmosphere when there are uncolonised planets suddenly available for all to inhabit. And those that do stay suddenly have a much greater & longer challenge ahead.

Take the Irish Diaspora. We didn't lose our culture when vast numbers emigrated around the planet. Our identity and traits didn't evaporate. If anything their success was fed back to Ireland. Same with a lot of other nationalities. I can't think of any that gave away all their crown jewels when they hit a bad spot. I know its perhaps mean to reflect the exploitations of developing nations, third world etc. But even those don't go. here are all our natural resources, we are leaving, we don't need them any more.

But hey I can just accept it as is. I just don't find it creditable thats all.

Still enjoying it. Great show. I've re-watched most of at it least twice if not three times. The books are lot more detailed than I was expecting. Great companion to the show though. Its answering allsorts of questions we had, Like what happened to the guy who invented the Epstein drive. I'm unlikely to over take the show with the books. It will take me a year of reading to get through them.

• Advertisement

The belt have no official representative when the show starts and belters don't own anything in the belt other than a few ships. The OPA were threatened only as terrorists and not a government so the main reason the belt can't be self sufficient right now is the inners won't allow it.

The ring is a blessing to an over populated Earth but could be good or bad for the belt and will definitely turn Mars into a backwater

Advertisement