Thread Closed  

28-12-2020, 23:51   #16
Buttonftw

Advertisement
28-12-2020, 23:57   #17
Feisar

As a father of an 18 month old who I didn't need but now I'd set myself on fire to keep warm, I think it's a great idea.
(3) thanks from:
29-12-2020, 00:33   #18
klopparama

+1

I think it’s a great idea.

I’ve sometimes struggled to find information on childfree things like holiday destinations (hotels) or restaurants and such things.

So long as it doesn’t become a place where you have to defend your choice to be childfree or nobody accidentally bores me about ‘little Johnny’.

As someone who is part of a DINK I think it’s a great idea.

Would be nice to know what else I can do with my extra time and extra money.

Last edited by klopparama; 29-12-2020 at 02:00.
29-12-2020, 00:39   #19
PmMeUrDogs

+1

There are plenty of "childfree" issues - relationship problems, potential step parent roles, whether or not someone is opposed to non-biological children or the likes, family issues, acceptance issues. A big one for me is the difficulty in finding a doctor willing to sterilize you if you're an unmarried, childfree woman of child bearing age in Ireland.

I'd absolutely love to see a forum of like minded people, where you won't see "well, you might change your mind, what if you accidentally became pregnant, you'll never know love til you have a child," stuff that's peddled out regularly to those who choose to remain childfree.
29-12-2020, 00:41   #20
pm1977x

I would definitely follow a thread and keep track of it that way, can’t see it sustaining a forum though.

Such talk seems to terrify some parents though, as if you’re about to assemble and go round up their kids or something, it’s not a threat to anyone, relax!
Advertisement
29-12-2020, 00:46   #21
MrMusician18

I don't personally see the need for yet another dead forum, that will at best have the same six posters doling out "advice"
29-12-2020, 00:52   #22
Vital Transformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMusician18 View Post
I don't personally see the need for yet another dead forum, that will at best have the same six posters doling out "advice"
The childfree forum on Reddit has nearly 1.5 million subscribers, I dare say it wouldn't be as dead as you think.

+1 from me.
29-12-2020, 00:58   #23
Pretzill

+1

I think there is scope here for a wider, lifestyle type forum. I made a decision to live my life childfree - I think there are positive ramifications and also questions to be raised within a like minded community.
(3) thanks from:
29-12-2020, 01:06   #24
MrMusician18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital Transformation View Post
The childfree forum on Reddit has nearly 1.5 million subscribers, I dare say it wouldn't be as dead as you think.

+1 from me.
You might be new here so I'll give you the low-down. Reddit is a site with a global audience, while boards.ie is very much focussed on Ireland

In Ireland there are orders of magnitude more parents and people who will desire to be parents at some point than individuals (admittedly growing) who choose to be childless. With this in mind, the front page of the parenting forum has threads where the last posts are over a month old. I haven't counted but I'd say there are less that 30 posts in that forum in the last month, and that month was December, a particularly busy one for parents.

If parenting can barely sustain a living forum, what chance has a niche interest like childless by choice? It would be barely able to sustain a thread imo. Even the OP says it can't even sustain a FB group.

We have enough dead forums on this site. We don't need another.

Last edited by MrMusician18; 29-12-2020 at 16:47.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-12-2020, 01:09   #25
bertsmom

Would love this! Its a bit of a chore finding holidays and even hotels here in Ireland that haven't a heavy focus on being child friendly.
Also as much as I love friends kids and nieces/nephew etc I just find it can leave very little conversation space for solo or couple events.
(2) thanks from:
29-12-2020, 02:18   #26
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
I'd give this a +1. I'd fall into the category of being childfree by choice, and although I will be honest and say that I too would be unsure if it warrants it's own forum, I'd be interested to see how it would play out.

I admit that I'm struggling to see how it would amass anymore than a handful of 'megathreads' (hotels/breaks for adults only, your financial situation with no kids, going to kid-friendly events with no children of your own, boardsie child-free meet up, why did you want to be child-free, nephew/niece gift guide, etc.) I still think it is a fairly serious decision people make, and I would be very interested to see how the forum would play out.

It could turn into a bustling little metropolis of a forum (or it could be a waste of time) but I'd definitely be in favour of letting it have a year or so to see does it turn into anything of worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
the idea that Childfree by Choice would also cater for people/couples who are childfree because they cannot have kids is way off, and pretty cruel in a way, to suggest that a forum could be dedicated to those who choose not to have kids, and also those who want to but can't.
I don't think that's a fair comment. If a GP tells you 'you can't have kids', it might be pretty difficult news to take, if you're actively interested in having kids, but it's not the end of the world.

Invariably you're going to look at a life without kids as your future and i think this is the sort of forum that would help with such a situation. It would be a space where someone could read up on the various discussions and 'pros' of not having children. No one is going to be putting a gun to someone's head and making them read the forum, but if they look for it, they'll find it.

Might be just what a person needs to help them get over the bad news and accept that there is more to life than raising a child, and there are various positives that go along with not having a child.

I would imagine there are lots of people who want to have kids because 'that's what people do', and as a result, seeing the various positive aspects to child-free living, could be beneficial to people who find themselves in a situation where they can't have children.

I know if i found out I couldn't have kids, but was actively interested in having them, I wouldn't like to be seen as the outcast in society as those who are 'child free' aren't worth talking about.
(5) thanks from:
29-12-2020, 02:47   #27
MrMusician18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post

It could turn into a bustling little metropolis of a forum (or it could be a waste of time) but I'd definitely be in favour of letting it have a year or so to see does it turn into anything of worth.
It's not going to turn into a bustling forum. Like you point out, such a forum will have three or four "big" threads that cover the entirety of this topic, and a few other threads where posters ask specific questions.

The forum, like all small niche forums will revolve around a small group of sages that will dole out the advice and talk to themselves, generally agreeing with one another.

You might wonder why I'd be against setting up an experiment like this? Well having loads of small dead forums kill discussion sites.. It's far better to have fewer more general but busier forums than loads of quiet niche ones.

If anything, the site should be closing and consolidating sub-forums than opening new ones.

Last edited by MrMusician18; 29-12-2020 at 16:46.
(2) thanks from:
29-12-2020, 09:14   #28
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertsmom View Post
Would love this! Its a bit of a chore finding holidays and even hotels here in Ireland that haven't a heavy focus on being child friendly.
Also as much as I love friends kids and nieces/nephew etc I just find it can leave very little conversation space for solo or couple events.
I genuinely don't see why the Travel forum can't cater to your specific query? It's not the "Travel Forum for Kids & Families", it's the Travel forum. Ask a specific question, get a specific answer no? If it's not working like that, then that's an issue in itself.

Why the need to segregate & potentially duplicate subjects, topics, & discussion? It's being made out that Boards.ie is not equipped to handle discussion that doesn't center around children....which just isn't true.
Thanks from:
29-12-2020, 09:19   #29
sydthebeat
Subscriber

It wouldn't effect me in the slightest.. So

+1
Thanks from:
29-12-2020, 09:45   #30
HBC08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertsmom View Post
What about poor Bert?

It's a +1 for me.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed