Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4/128GB £129 Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

chops018 wrote: »
    Just ordered one. £129 for the midnight grey version. Came to €146. Says due for delivery by the 28th, which is grand.

I’ve been Apple for years, but I’ve only got a 6s and I need a new phone soon and can’t justify paying nearly €1,000 for the latest iPhone or around €500 for an iPhone that came out 3 or 4 years ago.

The spec on this phone seems to be on par with the iPhone 12, so at under €150 I find it worth taking the chance on it. I was going to cancel this order and go for the Pro at £189, coming in at around €210, as I prefer the black colour but I said I’d chance this one as the price being under €150 is ridiculous value for the spec on the phone.

Any iPhone users on here make the switch and not look back?

No one takes a chance with xiaomi. They're the best phone I've ever used (bar the Nokia 3310) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

No one takes a chance with xiaomi. They're the best phone I've ever used (bar the Nokia 3310) :)

Great to hear! Looking forward to it arriving and setting it up. The Nokia 3310 will never be beat :D

I've a note 5 a year and a half but ****ed the screen. Other than that the battery is still about 90% (still better than plenty of new phones) and no freezes or stalls or anything.
    It's not going to be as fast as an iPhone (I've never owned one) but I've never felt like I was waiting for anything to load or when switching apps. Build quality is pretty top tier. I'm expecting to get at least 3 years out of this for a small fraction of a flagship phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mfceiling wrote: »
    Bought!!

And delivered 5 minutes ago. That's good going for the time of year in fairness!!

I ordered mine yesterday around midday. Posted here shortly after ordering. It was delivered first thing this morning. I was shocked. Thought I wouldn’t receive it for around a week.

My gf ordered it for me on her dad’s Amazon Prime account. She said she was gonna say nothing and wrap it and give it to me tomorrow morning. But she let it slip this evening that it came incase I wanted to get it set up ahead of tomorrow. Setting it up now.

Impressive delivery time. How did they manage to deliver it so quick! Do Amazon have some stock sitting in Ireland or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I ordered mine yesterday around midday. Posted here shortly after ordering. It was delivered first thing this morning. I was shocked. Thought I wouldn’t receive it for around a week.

My gf ordered it for me on her dad’s Amazon Prime account. She said she was gonna say nothing and wrap it and give it to me tomorrow morning. But she let it slip this evening that it came incase I wanted to get it set up ahead of tomorrow. Setting it up now.

Impressive delivery time. How did they manage to deliver it so quick! Do Amazon have some stock sitting in Ireland or something?

Don't they have a fulfillment center in Dublin now for Dublin deliveries?

What was the deal price for this as its coming up as 190 for me, I'm in the market for a new phone as this one is slowly dying on me!

Don't they have a fulfillment center in Dublin now for Dublin deliveries?

What was the deal price for this as its coming up as 190 for me, I'm in the market for a new phone as this one is slowly dying on me!

Yeah, I did hear that they are getting a distribution centre in Dublin alright, didn't think they had it yet though?

I got it for £129. Came in at around €146.

From reading the thread the price goes up and down, so maybe keep on the lookout for it going back down again.

I'm still getting used to using it. I've been Apple for years. I promised myself I'd give it a proper go. If I really want to go back to Apple though I've already a few takers in the family who said they'd take it off my hands. So far I'm impressed, but still getting used to the little differences. Simple things like how I set reminders on my old iPhone to this.

Also the Android seems very Google focused. Lots of apps linked to your Google account. Suppose, the iPhone was very iCloud focused, so nothing major really with it.

Yeah, I did hear that they are getting a distribution centre in Dublin alright, didn't think they had it yet though?

I got it for £129. Came in at around €146.

From reading the thread the price goes up and down, so maybe keep on the lookout for it going back down again.

I'm still getting used to using it. I've been Apple for years. I promised myself I'd give it a proper go. If I really want to go back to Apple though I've already a few takers in the family who said they'd take it off my hands. So far I'm impressed, but still getting used to the little differences. Simple things like how I set reminders on my old iPhone to this.

Also the Android seems very Google focused. Lots of apps linked to your Google account. Suppose, the iPhone was very iCloud focused, so nothing major really with it.

Cheers, it's back up in price again now to 190. Will keep an eye out for any bargains in the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've had the redmi note 8 for about 4 months and bought this note 9. Using it for a day and I have to say it's a very good phone for £129. Great battery life and zips between apps without any lag.
    Well worth buying plus 128gb is perfect for downloading music etc to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cd23

groom wrote: »
    I picked one up yesterday in store and it was €99 although they force you to buy €20 credit

Do Vodafone PAYG phones always come unlocked? I bought a Pixel 3a earlier in the year that was so I'm hopeful but it's an Xmas present so can't check myself

Did it end up being unlocked in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Cd23 wrote: »

I got the 4gig ram and 128gb storage as a present from Vodafone.No Vodafone logo and it is unlocked.Overall experience of it for the few days I have it are it's a bargain for the €109 you can get it off Vodafone for or the €99 off 3 but with smaller storage.Its a big unit with a big and impressive battery.Friend has the note 7 for over a year and it's ticking along fine for him so hopefully this is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Does this Redmi come with NFC?
    None of the network websites offering it (3/VF) mention it and Xiaomi.ie says it varies by market!
    So it might have it!
    Or more likely not or it’d be on the website specs

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Scrunch

Daibheid wrote: »

The Note 9 from Amazon does have NFC. Label on the box 'Supports NFC'

Daibheid wrote: »
    None of the network websites offering it (3/VF) mention it and Xiaomi.ie says it varies by market!
    So it might have it!
    Or more likely not or it’d be on the website specs

It has it on the box and on the toolbar at the top of the screen and goggle pay came installed on it so I'd say yes, I don't have it activated.This is a Vodafone bought one.

I'm in desperate need of a new phone, is it worth waiting until its back on offer again? Currently around the 180 Mark

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

I'm in desperate need of a new phone, is it worth waiting until its back on offer again? Currently around the 180 Mark
    the 9s is better phone than 9
    You will pay vat and duty from Amazon
    Find chinese seller that
    Has european warehouse

Order eir SIM and use it as your throwaway new number.Head over to Vodafone and use the SIM to get the phone for €109.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Cd23 wrote: »

It did yes. It's dual sim as well so not even sure how it could be network locked in hindsight without removing a key feature

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Asus1 wrote: »
    Order eir SIM and use it as your throwaway new number.Head over to Vodafone and use the SIM to get the phone for €109.

I tried ordering a sim from Eir but the page seems to be missing from their website, the 48.ie sim I have won't port without going into the store.

Tesco want 15 euro for a sim, Three have a 10 euro option, am I missing any other options? I have a feeling that trying to port from GoMo or Lyca will be the same (go to store).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I tried ordering a sim from Eir but the page seems to be missing from their website, the 48.ie sim I have won't port without going into the store.

Tesco want 15 euro for a sim, Three have a 10 euro option, am I missing any other options? I have a feeling that trying to port from GoMo or Lyca will be the same (go to store).

Tesco, Lyca and 48 are excluded from the offer.

Gomo should work but that's unlikely to be a throwaway number, if a Gomo number is ported then the Gomo account will close and number moves to Vodafone....so that's not an option unless moving to VF anyway.

Three are selling it for 99.99 when switching to three so use the 48 SIM for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

Three have this phone on ready to go for €99 when you port over your number.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

groom wrote: »
    It did yes. It's dual sim as well so not even sure how it could be network locked in hindsight without removing a key feature
    It is possible. I bought a Samsung A40 from Three last year. Dual SIM. It's locked to Three but as long as there's a Three SIM in one slot, any SIM will work in the other slot. Cheap to unlock but I don't need to.

Bought a Redmi Note 9 from the Vodafone website last night. Got an email this morning that it's been dispatched. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

Asus1 wrote: »

I am also about to order this phone from Vodafone is it locked as I am on 48 network.Is it a dual s phoneThanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 08mor

homingbird wrote: »
    I am also about to order this phone from Vodafone is it locked as I am on 48 network.Is it a dual s phoneThanks

Mine came unlocked from Vodafone, it's dual SIM also. Great phone but I can't get it to properly sync with the car for hands free calls, it keeps dropping out, issue with Bluetooth apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CosyChair

ok thanks i am trying to order it online now but having trouble its telling me to contact there support what am i doing wrong. I registered on there site do i have to order a sim first before i order the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

CosyChair wrote: »
    ok thanks i am trying to order it online now but having trouble its telling me to contact there support what am i doing wrong. I registered on there site do i have to order a sim first before i order the phone.

If you are porting a 48.ie number it will not be accepted, it will tell you to get the phone in store.

Vodafone are making me jump through hoops i tried ordering eir sim they want bank details so i am going to try the one from 3 as someone on here said its unlocked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Best deal prepay for the 128GB at the moment looks to be €199 from Vodafone it seems?

Ordering this with a new Vodafone number comes unlocked and allows you to use a Three sim in it right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

freebee23 wrote: »
    Three have this phone on ready to go for €99 when you port over your number.

Not any more, the discount to port your own number is gone on this phone (Redmi Note 9), an alternative might be the Redmi 9 which is nearly the same phone and you can get it for €79 porting your "own" number.

Advertisement