Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to work scheme with Canyon bikes

• 18-09-2020 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully used the Irish bike to work scheme with Canyon bikes (online retailer in Germany).

After speaking with Canyon they ensured me they accept the government scheme on a daily basis without any issue.

However when I want to submit a new order on the website (biketowork.ie) there are only options to select resellers in Ireland. After contacting biketowork.ie they state this is correct and cannot do anything with non Irish bike resellers.

I saw there is also bike4work.ie but their website state the same; only Irish resellers.

So I was hoping to find someone who has done this successfully and can explain me how they managed to do so!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

They are middlemen, taking a cut of profits to deal with the shops. If your company only deal with this shower, you're out of luck. If, on the other hand your company are more reasonable, then you can use any bike shop you like, anywhere. Need to figure out your company policy.

Bike to work is a government initiative. Biketowork dot ie is a company profiteering on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Keimps

Cool, makes a lot more sense. Will check it this way via HR directly then, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My firm uses Travelhub too (same shower), nothing you can do unless you can convince your HR and Payroll to take it all in house which they wont want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Keimps wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully used the Irish bike to work scheme with Canyon bikes (online retailer in Germany).

After speaking with Canyon they ensured me they accept the government scheme on a daily basis without any issue.

However when I want to submit a new order on the website (biketowork.ie) there are only options to select resellers in Ireland. After contacting biketowork.ie they state this is correct and cannot do anything with non Irish bike resellers.

I saw there is also bike4work.ie but their website state the same; only Irish resellers.

So I was hoping to find someone who has done this successfully and can explain me how they managed to do so!

Thanks
    use the biketowork voucher to upgrade your wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Keimps wrote: »

As mentioned, it's up to your company - I did it a few years ago but I was working for an SME (10-30 employee size) so could talk directly with the HR/payroll people.

One potential piece of advice that made it a lot easier for them to process - I had the money myself to buy the bike so instead of asking them to spread my salary deductions over a year or two I just told them to take it all out of one month's salary and I used the money I had put aside for the bike instead of salary that month.

It might make it easier for the company if they buy you a bike and then take it out of your gross salary in one chunk. They take the first €1000 out of your gross salary and take the rest back from your net salary after tax etc..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

who_ru wrote: »
    use the biketowork voucher to upgrade your wheels?
    mod note - this is tax fraud, any further posts on it will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

MOD VOICE: POST DELETED

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »
    My firm uses Travelhub too (same shower), nothing you can do unless you can convince your HR and Payroll to take it all in house which they wont want to do.

We use Travel Hub but I know one girl in finance who got a bike from Canyon and so did the head of Finance. Keeping that in my back pocket to see can I push to get my next one not through travelhub.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

Got a canyon years ago through bike to work. Was contracting under an umbrella company. Got the canyon guys to issue invoice to umbrella company and accounts transferred the money and I paid the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CramCycle wrote: »
    We use Travel Hub but I know one girl in finance who got a bike from Canyon and so did the head of Finance. Keeping that in my back pocket to see can I push to get my next one not through travelhub.

Nice bit of ammo that. My Bacon number with payroll is probably about 15 so no such luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The issue in these cases is that your employer has to add Canyon or a range of your LBS's to their payments system as suppliers. This is often easier for a small business, whereas a larger organisation has procedures, forms to fill, possible approval from head office abroad, etc, so it makes more sense for them to only add Travelhub or B2W.ie who then can liase with a (limited) range of bike shops (and keep €100 of your hard-earned for every €1,000 spent :mad:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Currently looking at a Canyon purchase so thought would revive this thread. Enquired from my employer and got:

"You will need to get the bike shop to issue an invoice to XXXX Ltd for a bicycle for up to the maximum amount allowable. XXXX will pay the bike shop directly. "

(XXXX is their name)

So sounds like they just need an invoice. Now in the Canyon checkout they have a prepayment option and you can enter a separate billing address to the shipping address. See attached image. What I'm thinking is I keep the shipping address at my own place and set the billing details to my employer.

You'll see from the comment that they will send an invoice by email with their bank details. I forward this on to my employer and ask them to pay. They then deduct the cost in one go from my salary minus the tax relief and the bike gets shipped to me sometime after that.

Before I suss this out with my employer has anyone done this ? Does it look like it ticks all the boxes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I just used all my own details. Your employer will bank transfer the amount using the details on the invoice so your own billing address isn't needed, I'd say put your own so there's no delivery confusion.

Canyon will also take split payments so if the amount of the bike is above the bike to work then you send your part to them. Leave an order number reference in the transfer to make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I just used all my own details. Your employer will bank transfer the amount using the details on the invoice so your own billing address isn't needed, I'd say put your own so there's no delivery confusion.

Canyon will also take split payments so if the amount of the bike is above the bike to work then you send your part to them. Leave an order number reference in the transfer to make it easier.

Does the invoice not need to show your employers name and address ? Is that not what your employer requires ? That's why I would have it ship to home but billed to their details. If I use all my own details my name and address will be on the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

My issue here is that my employer will not pay the invoice until canyon ship the bike, and canyon will not ship the bike until employer pay the invoice, madness and seems no way out of it, i work in a uni

Advertisement