Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

• 19-08-2020 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

Seems about time for a thread on the Tour

So Ineos have announced their team and there is no place for Geraint Thomas or Chris Froome. Carapaz parachuted into the team at the last moment it seems. Only on UK rider (Rowe) on the team

https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1295989866421981185?s=20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wow...thought at least one of them would have made it in. Pretty ruthless.

Wonder how Carapaz feels about it. Would have thought he'd have got one shot at being leader and at the very least defending his giro title before being doomed to being a support rider at Ineos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wonder how Carapaz feels about it. Would have thought he'd have got one shot at being leader and at the very least defending his giro title before being doomed to being a support rider at Ineos.
    He gets a go at the Tour and could be in the position Thomas and Bernal found themselves in the last couple of years. Thats one way of looking at it, but yeah, he misses out on a great chance to defend his Giro title given the absentees in that race.

Luke Rowe will be lonely without 'G'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If the Movistar documentary is anything to go by, Carapaz is smirking at the prospect of accidentally putting 2 minutes into Bernal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

They must have had long discussions with him rather than just popping him in. And he must have been eager and convinced them he'll be no trouble. Otherwise they would have ran with Thomas and left him defend the Giro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If the Movistar documentary is anything to go by, Carapaz is smirking at the prospect of accidentally putting 2 minutes into Bernal.

Love to see that the tour needs a bit of mid 80s inter team rivalry and excitement

Sam Bennett has the chance to tick off a stage win at all 3 GT's at this. That would make him only the second Irish man to do that? I think Shay Elliot was the first? Or was there anyone else?

Sam Bennett has the chance to tick off a stage win at all 3 GT's at this. That would make him only the second Irish man to do that? I think Shay Elliot was the first? Or was there anyone else?

dont think kelly did many giros and dont think roche did many vueltas so possibly .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looking forward to having this on in the background for 3 weeks of working from home. Usually only get to see the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

What's the best way to watch this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

neris wrote: »
    dont think kelly did many giros and dont think roche did many vueltas so possibly .....

Yep.
    Kelly has TDF and Vuelta stage wins.
    Stephen Roche has TDF and Giro stage wins.
    I thought Nico might have had a Vuelta and Giro but it's 2 Vuelta stage wins.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Eurosport or TG4.

Commentary on TG4 is in Irish so you can side follow a text commentary on Cycling News if needed.
    They also have a nightly highlights programme (in English).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I should have signed up for Eurosport player when it was on special offer in June, but it looks like you can do one month for €6.99 with a minimum contract term of a month so wouldn't be locked into more if you didn't want it.

I might try to rig up a tv in my home office (already have a tv connection there) but if not will sign up for the month and have the home laptop set up beside my work computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Eurosport or TG4.

Commentary on TG4 is in Irish so you can side follow a text commentary on Cycling News if needed.
    They also have a nightly highlights programme (in English).

On a TV in a camper van parked at the summit in the Alps, with a cooler box full of beer!

Second best is on Eurosport.

In third is TG4 or ITV4.
    (Too many ad breaks on ITV4)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

With David Duffield commentating. Unfortunately that's not been possible for many years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They must have had long discussions with him rather than just popping him in. And he must have been eager and convinced them he'll be no trouble. Otherwise they would have ran with Thomas and left him defend the Giro

If he's a good boy this year he has a good chance of being Ineos number 2 for the next few years with Froome gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The roadbook (and loads of other stuff) is available on the Velorooms 2020 Google Drive:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ex8yX8Ldf402dhPQZccg7_fT1-kqO8qx

https://youtu.be/8xJL78QQmbw

Those Ineos interviews with subtitles from 6'45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

What are the odds that history repeats itself and Sam gets his first TDF stage win in the same town where Kelly also recorded his first TDF stage win in 78.

It may a long and nervy wait until Stage 11 to Poitiers if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Not really ruthless based on recent performances, both have been shockingly bad recently for grand tour winners.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Wow...thought at least one of them would have made it in. Pretty ruthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Who do you think will win the general classification this year?
    I think Roglic will but hard to predict, Alaphillipe could be an interesting outsider

Pinot is France's best chance for a win. I'd love to see it but Jumbo and Ineos would have to implode for it to happen I think. He's a good shout for a podium this year I think if he rides smart and the super domestiques on other teams are pushed hard by each other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Seems about time for a thread on the Tour

So Ineos have announced their team and there is no place for Geraint Thomas or Chris Froome. Carapaz parachuted into the team at the last moment it seems. Only on UK rider (Rowe) on the team

https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1295989866421981185?s=20

Brailsfords interview was comedy gold. TdF, yep Bernal, he has a strong chance and makes sense (although I am not convinced). Giro, he hasn't got a strong chance but he has a chance and we will support him plus our PR guys say we can sell the Welsh winner idea for marketing and we won't be humiliated. Froome, well, we aren't supporting him but PR says we need him to fail spectacularly so as not to stir annoyance among the Skybots, so we are going to let him do the Vuelta with absolutely no confidence but you'll never catch me on camera saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Any update on the injury that stopped Bernal completing the CdD?

Hardly idea to be heading into the TDF with something niggling?

I think Carapaz could be a good outside bet for GC. He is clearly the backup plan to Bernal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I should be going to this :(

One stage is passing my parents front door in France

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tom Dumoulin for me. Building form, without the clusterf*ck form that put pay to Thomas and Froome. I think Roglic has peaked too early, again, so my only question would be if he has to do too much work for Roglic early, if Roglic is hot from the start.

I'd love to see Pinot win it though.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    On a TV in a camper van parked at the summit in the Alps, with a cooler box full of beer!

Second best is on Eurosport.

In third is TG4 or ITV4.
    (Too many ad breaks on ITV4)
    It's on the GCN App/ Race Pass. Eurosport coverage, no ads.

• Advertisement

I caught one of the evening highlight packages on ITV 4 for the Dauphine last week and reminded me how badly Eurosport do highlights in comparison. Way too many ads for sure which is a shame as I find the commentary team and over all package to be better than Eurosport's

Advertisement