Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCI Racing News/Results 2020 (Spoiler Alert)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I saw a clip on youtube last night of the eurosport commentary and Rob Hatch was very apologetic that the crash kept getting replayed from different angles and was saying it was the Polish broadcaster who kept repeating it

Lovely to see racing up Mont Ventoux today, always a spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Watching 2nd stage live on Polish TV right now, and interview with hospital representative (where Jakobsen is currently treated), head Doctor of Neurological Unit.

Fabio is still kept in induced coma, but probably will be woken up from it later tonight. X-ray and CT scans both confirmed no brain injuries.

Fingers crossed for quick recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Dear God, that was horrific. Prayers for the young lad indeed.

Downhill sprints, jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Positive news about Jacobsen. Hopefully a full recovery.

Pedersen won his first race as World Champion in stage 2. Outdragged Ackerman on the long run to the line. Good for him, and maybe he can pick up a few more results as its not long before he hands that jersey over.

This Russian lad, Vlasov, is a machine. He tore up the Ventoux today and put himself into the Grand Tour picture, if that's the plan for him. Good ride from Porte too.

• Advertisement

Porte was much better than I was expecting there today. Letour is like me going uphill on a bike with the shapes he was pulling and the swinging :D

Delighted for Pedersen and a bit of a scalp for him to have taken there I think against Ackerman.

Tour de L'Ain starts today. Ineos and Jumbo Visma have assembled perhaps the strongest teams ever seen outside of a Tour de France line-up.

Ineos: Froome, Thomas, Bernal, Amador, Geoghegan-Hart, Amador
    Jumbo Visma: Dumoulin, Roglic, Kruiswijk, Bennett, Martin, Gesink

Edit. Stage 1 just finished. Apparently a bit of GC movement with a ramp to the finish line — Roglic finished second. Highlights later on Eurosport.

Jumbo Visma did well with the Slovenian national champs jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It is going to be a long road to recovery for Jakobsen. He had his windpipe crushed, all his teeth knocked out and most bones on the front of his face were broken. Horrific injuries and it will be a while before he gets back on a bike, let alone wants to race, I suspect.

Stage 3 of the TdP was interesting today. What was the plan with Dunbar ? Despite being at the back of the 5 man train in the finale, I expected him to bury himself for Carapaz on the final ramp and yet he neither led him out (may not have been able to...) nor sat up, but instead kept hammering away on his own line and was of very little value to his leader. Is he Plan B ? It seemed odd.

I genuinely thought he was going to go for it just before Carapaz went given his position in the train :D

Maybe thats what they wanted people to think. I wasn't watching Carapaz at all at that point and was focused on Dunbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    It is going to be a long road to recovery for Jakobsen. He had his windpipe crushed, all his teeth knocked out and most bones on the front of his face were broken. Horrific injuries and it will be a while before he gets back on a bike, let alone wants to race, I suspect.

Is there any info on the race official. Is he ok?

I wonder would lateral lines in the last 200m make it easier for sprinters to hold their line. I’d imagine they would be less likely to stray and throw an elbow if it was clear to them they were crossing lines into the path of another. In saying that I know it’s the heat of the moment reaction.

Roglic and Jumbo Visma, the rider and team to beat at the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Roglic and Jumbo Visma, the rider and team to beat at the Tour.

I didnt realise how stacked the Jumbo team is, probably more so than Ineos: Roglic, Dumoulin, Bennett, Kruijswijk, Gesink, Van Aert, probably all going to the Tour, along with Tony Martin, maybe Kuss & Teunissen.

Also in Poland, Evenepol taking the absolute piss.

retalivity wrote: »
    I didnt realise how stacked the Jumbo team is, probably more so than Ineos: Roglic, Dumoulin, Bennett, Kruijswijk, Gesink, Van Aert, probably all going to the Tour, along with Tony Martin, maybe Kuss & Teunissen.

Also in Poland, Evenepol taking the absolute piss.
    Only read the report, but yeah, monster performance from Evenepol in Poland. We'll see just how good he is when it comes to 3 week GC racing at the Giro.

The cream has certainly risen to the top in only a week and a half of racing so far.

Was the crash involving Carapaz shown? I only saw the last 30km or so and I think they only showed him once with his jersey in tatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Was the crash involving Carapaz shown? I only saw the last 30km or so and I think they only showed him once with his jersey in tatters.

Yes, it was. I happened on a straight stretch of road, touch of wheels, three or four came down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Only read the report, but yeah, monster performance from Evenepol in Poland. We'll see just how good he is when it comes to 3 week GC racing at the Giro.
    Watched this stage this morning. Not to downplay it, but the rest of them played right into his hands. Everyone just sat on Eddie, and then it was just attack/ sit up until Fulgsang/ Yates/ Majka stuck.

I'd say not a great last week or so of racing for Ineos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The Criterium de Dauphine starts on Wednesday and should be some battle between the top two. The teams are both stacked with talent !

522646.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Oh I forgot Domoulin was with Lotto Jumbo now

• Advertisement

Ineos' Tour team sort of picks itself now even before the Dauphine. I think Froome has to improve upon his Tour du L'Ain performance to seal his place as a super-domestique for Bernal. Geoghegan-hart fell away a bit at that race and was a DNF up Grand Colombier. Amador showed his ability and could jump over both of them into the team.

Bernal
    Thomas
    Froome (Geoghegan-Hart or Amador if Froome doesn't go)
    Rowe
    Van Baarle
    Kwiatkowski
    Castroviejo
    Sivakov

Rowe hasn't done that much this year but still seems a certainty given his road captain status.

Didn't get to read all of the piece on cycling tips I think it was or weekly but Froome posted his Strava numbers from the weekend which isn't something he usually does this close to the tour so that's him making his case for sure. Think he was averaging a steady 390w over the earlier climbs before burring himself on the last one for Bernal. Thomas, hard to know he pulled in the valley on Sunday but he didn't look good on the previous days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think Thomas is nailed on, as he's shown he can accept a support role. Froome not so much, both with 2012 and Thomas' win.

Watched the final stage of Tour de L'Ain. However it pans out, some statement from the Jumbo! Even Rog dropping back to eyeball Bernal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Could be one of the best Tours for years alright. Love what TJV are doing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Uci are trying to find a new location in Europe for the worlds. They cancelled switzerland

The Italian one-day race Gran Piemonte is on at the moment - just over 40 km to go.
    Mathieu van der Poel, Nibali, Aru, Ivan Sosa & George Bennett are in it.

And yet another win for Team Jumbo Visma! George Bennett wins Gran Piedmonte. Diego Ulissi was second with MvdP third.

Love the Italian one day races.

And yet another win for Team Jumbo Visma! George Bennett wins Gran Piedmonte. Diego Ulissi was second with MvdP third.

Yeah, effectively won it on the wet downhill and with rim brakes! Crazy to think, he'll supposedly be the fourth best climber on that team come the Tour.

• Advertisement

The beautiful Il Lombardia is live on the GCN app now

Advertisement