Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clothing 101- recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I'm thinking I might invest in a decent warm Gilet for the winter, I run hot so I find the Gilet better than a full winter jacket. I already have the Castelli long sleeve Perfetto which I really like for very cold days. I'm thinking I might go for the Perfetto ROS Vest, anyone have any experience with this Gilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I posted earlier saying wouldn't get gloves atm. I taken it back;short spin at 7.30 this evening and hands were nippy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm thinking I might invest in a decent warm Gilet for the winter, I run hot so I find the Gilet better than a full winter jacket. I already have the Castelli long sleeve Perfetto which I really like for very cold days. I'm thinking I might go for the Perfetto ROS Vest, anyone have any experience with this Gilet?
    Not sure it's ROS, but I have a Perfetto a few years at this stage and I'm happy with it anyway? I don't really know what to say, it's castelli, the quality is good, as expected.

I have an original Galibier mistral lite (when it had sleeves) which is a bit more water resistant that probably gets more use on changeable days. Think they have that as a gilet as it's current iteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not sure it's ROS, but I have a Perfetto a few years at this stage and I'm happy with it anyway? I don't really know what to say, it's castelli, the quality is good, as expected.

I have an original Galibier mistral lite (when it had sleeves) which is a bit more water resistant that probably gets more use on changeable days. Think they have that as a gilet as it's current iteration.

Thanks for your advice, I had a look st the Galibier website and ended up buying a Zoncolan Foul Weather Gilet. Bought medium so hopefully it won't be too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

lissard wrote: »
    Get out a measuring tape and check their sizing chart. I'm L for UK brands such as Endura, but XL for Castelli. In summary there is no common sizing between manufacturers. It's a real pain spending good money for something that is ultimately too small/large - it's worth taking the time to check.

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/customer-service/size-chart
    https://www.endurasport.com/support/sizing/

The L was way too small. They don't have XL, so I'm considering XXL. A lot of wasted shipping charges if they don't fit though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Just one thing to watch out for: even within the Castelli range fit can vary a bit. I have a Gabba top and a Perfetto ROS both sized XL. The Gabba fits perfectly the Perfetto is just a bit too small! Really annoying - I'd need a XXL for the newer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm going for the XXL, and if it doesn't fit I'll just send them back. Not too many days left for cycling in shorts this year anyway!

Right, the weather has definitely changed, was a fair bit colder the other day on a spin.
    So looking for long sleeve jersey recommendations; Galibier Roubaix jersey/ looks good & Galibier are highly recommended here. Would ye recommend that or something else?

I saw that Aldi have one for a tenner......

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Any good recommendations for shoes ( flats) for a gravel bike. Need pedals to suit as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭.red.

I've a galibier bib shorts that are very comfy, but they're shorts and I want to keep going thru the winter when it's dry. In the rain I'd rather just go for a walk so won't need anything waterproof.
    Are a pair of tights OK to put on over them or would I be better off buying something similar but with full length legs?
    I got a pair in Aldi today and the pad is like sandpaper compared to the galibier one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

dinneenp wrote: »
    Right, the weather has definitely changed, was a fair bit colder the other day on a spin.
    So looking for long sleeve jersey recommendations; Galibier Roubaix jersey/ looks good & Galibier are highly recommended here. Would ye recommend that or something else?

I saw that Aldi have one for a tenner......

Cheers,
    Pa.

I have one, lovely bit of kit.

With any jersey like that you need to be prepared to mix and match what you wear with it, and need to be able to change as conditions change, it can be very chilly in the mornings but extremely pleasant 3 hours later, so you might start off with a gilet or light rain jacket on over the jersey (or even both if it's cold enough) and finish with your pockets full of gear.

.red. wrote: »
    I've a galibier bib shorts that are very comfy, but they're shorts and I want to keep going thru the winter when it's dry. In the rain I'd rather just go for a walk so won't need anything waterproof.
    Are a pair of tights OK to put on over them or would I be better off buying something similar but with full length legs?
    I got a pair in Aldi today and the pad is like sandpaper compared to the galibier one.

You can get full length tights that go over your bib shorts but it needs to be pretty cold for them, I'd say go for a set with a pad built in.

If you're not intending to do much over the winter and avoid the worst of the weather you might get away with a pair of leg warmers

https://galibier.cc/product/ardennnestleg/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

nilhg wrote: »
    You can get full length tights that go over your bib shorts but it needs to be pretty cold for them, I'd say go for a set with a pad built in.

The DHB Aeron tights are very good and have been my goto for the past few years. Good deals to be had on them occasionally
    nilhg wrote: »
    If you're not intending to do much over the winter and avoid the worst of the weather you might get away with a pair of leg warmers

https://galibier.cc/product/ardennnestleg/

I haven't had much joy with leg warmers. I've had a couple of pairs of Decathlon leg warmers over the years and neither have gripped properly.There's nothing worse that a chilly commute home in the dark in sheeting rain and feeling the knife edge of wind at mid thigh. I'm willing to believe the Decathlon ones aren't great (the silicon gripper at the top isn't the most inspiring lookin), but do others suffer the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there any overshoes or cover I could pull over a pair of runners when it's raining for a quick 5k commute? The neoprene ones for cycling shoes don't really fit properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there any overshoes or cover I could pull over a pair of runners when it's raining for a quick 5k commute? The neoprene ones for cycling shoes don't really fit properly...

Good question, this is something I could also do with.

JMcL wrote: »

I haven't had much joy with leg warmers. I've had a couple of pairs of Decathlon leg warmers over the years and neither have gripped properly.There's nothing worse that a chilly commute home in the dark in sheeting rain and feeling the knife edge of wind at mid thigh. I'm willing to believe the Decathlon ones aren't great (the silicon gripper at the top isn't the most inspiring lookin), but do others suffer the same problem?

I don't tend to use full leg warmers that much, the progression for me is usually shorts/shorts + kneewarmers/full tights, I have to say that I've have very little trouble with the kneewarmers (bicycleline ones) slipping but it does happen occasionally. If the shorts have decent grippers it's a great help.

I've had a few pairs of 3/4 length shorts, currently have a pair of Endura F260s, have to say that they're a great bit of kit

Jesus, who knew that getting dressed for a sport could be so complicated!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

JMcL wrote: »
    Never had a problem with leg warmers - I always have them under the short leg grippers.

I only tend to use them for the cold morning commutes where it'll be shorts for the way home, which ain't happening for the foreseeable anyway.

I used to use knee warmers, but have Galibier Equipe 3/4's for this autumn/ winter/ spring. Galibier Mistral Tights are my go to winter spin bottoms. Both have got a run already - the tights on Saturday!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thargor wrote: »

If you can find them Anywhere, Alrura Night vision city overshoe. Don't think they're made anymore, but some places might still have stock.

I've a pair somewhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also on bibs, the top end decathlon tights are great, other than the midriff part could probably come up a bit more.

I've the santini aquavega or H20 ones too (change name every few years) and they're super comfy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

have the above too and i use these waist tights from Castelli without a pad over the bib shorts , def on the small side size wise, i'm usually S/M dependening on brand but went with L , 175cm 69kg and they're snug but good, not waterproof by any means
    was able to try them on and buy them at the shop near the airport

https://www.cycletribe.ie/castelli-velocissimo-4-tights.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭.red.

devonp wrote: »
    have the above too and i use these waist tights from Castelli without a pad over the bib shorts , def on the small side size wise, i'm usually S/M dependening on brand but went with L , 175cm 69kg and they're snug but good, not waterproof by any means
    was able to try them on and buy them at the shop near the airport

https://www.cycletribe.ie/castelli-velocissimo-4-tights.html

Thanks, I emailed Galibier and they replied saying their Energie Thermo bib tights would be a very similar fit to the Peloton ones I already have, and also have the same pad.
    They're close to €90 delivered which is more than I wanted to spend but might be worth it knowing I already like the Peloton.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

So I guess it’s time to pick up some cold weather gear. This will be my first winter cycling that’s not purely for a commute. I’d like to get some gear this month, and then another bit with my next pay cheque. Looking at the following...
    1. Winter bib tights (I have 3/4 length currently)
    2. Windproof warm jersey
    3. Waterproof jacket (probably Galibier mistral)
    4. Gilet maybe

Not sure how keen I am on arm warmers leg warmers.
    What do you think I should prioritise out of that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I find that I can get by with summer bib shorts and leg warmers in a lot of weather (just not too cold or too wet). If you check the big thread in the Cycling Adverts Forum, there were Castelli NanoFlex leg and arm warmers for a great price

So I guess it’s time to pick up some cold weather gear. This will be my first winter cycling that’s not purely for a commute. I’d like to get some gear this month, and then another bit with my next pay cheque. Looking at the following...
    1. Winter bib tights (I have 3/4 length currently)
    2. Windproof warm jersey
    3. Waterproof jacket (probably Galibier mistral)
    4. Gilet maybe

Not sure how keen I am on arm warmers leg warmers.
    What do you think I should prioritise out of that list?

I'm in the same boat-
    1. long jersey (thinking of galibier ROUBAIX LONG SLEEVE JERSEY)
    2. Waterproof jacket (possibly Galibier mistral foul weather, if could get something less expensive would prefer it as I'm thinking I'd use the long sleeve jersey more)
    3. long sleeve base layer
    4. hat to go under helmet (have a snood atm)
    5. gloves (I have a pair of non-cycling gloves atm).

I already have a gilet (Galibier of course) and find it great- it this current weather I wear it over a Munster 'training top/like a tracksuit top but better'

In preference am thinking of going for 1, 3, 4 then 4, 2 and 5.Logic-
    I haven't cycled that much in rain yet, am working from home so if weather is very wet won't go out. therefore would get more use out of a long jersey (with gilet & long sleeve base layer if v cold).
    hat would be cheap I think so why not get it not, the snood is doing the job but no harm in having head and neck coverage.

If I'm getting wet/out in the rain much could then get the Galibier mistral foul weather and wear that instead of the long sleeve jersey. Or just get an inexpensive, very light waterproof to go over the long sleeve jersey......

For you, I'd go with:
    Gilet- versatile
    Windproof warm jersey- ideal if not wet
    winter bib tights (if very cold. Or could jet get leg warmers)
    waterproof jacket

I could be 100% wrong, I'm just trying to figure it out myself as well....

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat-
    1. long jersey (thinking of galibier ROUBAIX LONG SLEEVE JERSEY)
    2. Waterproof jacket (possibly Galibier mistral foul weather, if could get something less expensive would prefer it as I'm thinking I'd use the long sleeve jersey more)
    3. long sleeve base layer
    4. hat to go under helmet (have a snood atm)
    5. gloves (I have a pair of non-cycling gloves atm).

I already have a gilet (Galibier of course) and find it great- it this current weather I wear it over a Munster 'training top/like a tracksuit top but better'

In preference am thinking of going for 1, 3, 4 then 4, 2 and 5.Logic-
    I haven't cycled that much in rain yet, am working from home so if weather is very wet won't go out. therefore would get more use out of a long jersey (with gilet & long sleeve base layer if v cold).
    hat would be cheap I think so why not get it not, the snood is doing the job but no harm in having head and neck coverage.

If I'm getting wet/out in the rain much could then get the Galibier mistral foul weather and wear that instead of the long sleeve jersey. Or just get an inexpensive, very light waterproof to go over the long sleeve jersey......

For you, I'd go with:
    Gilet- versatile
    Windproof warm jersey- ideal if not wet
    winter bib tights (if very cold. Or could jet get leg warmers)
    waterproof jacket

I could be 100% wrong, I'm just trying to figure it out myself as well....

Cheers,
    Pa.

Very similar decision making process to you. I picked up a long sleeve base layer in decathlon earlier this week.
    And have ordered this jersey https://www.northwave.com/ch-CH-en/products/NORTHWAVE-JACKETS-EXTREME-H20-WMN-JACKET-BLACK-L_249076001.aspx
    Which seems hallways between a jersey and a jacket and should hopefully see me through until it gets properly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks, I emailed Galibier and they replied saying their Energie Thermo bib tights would be a very similar fit to the Peloton ones I already have, and also have the same pad.
    They're close to €90 delivered which is more than I wanted to spend but might be worth it knowing I already like the Peloton.

I bought a pair of these last week, great value.
    I have worn them twice or three times.
    They are a great fit and the pad is very comfortable.
    And I got a free buff (snood) included in the packet.

From Galibier-
    today at 10 degrees and dry i wore long sleeve base layer and gino jacket .
    tomorrow with an 7 degree start i will have the mistral jacket on even thou it is dry - it is an all round training garment up to 14 degrees .
    below 4 degrees i add a jersey or gilet to take it below freezing .
    the roubaix will be good for easier days but isn’t wind proof- which strips the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone know the difference between the Energie Thermo and Mistral bib tights from Galibier? Not sure which to go for - or any other long bib tights I should be looking at in a similar price range?

• Advertisement

Hi (yet again),

Any recommendations for a long sleeve base layer please?
    Galibier have one for €29- link, Decathlon have a few, from v cheap to Galibier price, Helly Hansen more expensive.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Advertisement