Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What can they do though to sharpen an image? The photo is the photo. If they do some kind of digital enhancement, this is basically guessing. Software is making decisions to change certain pixels on a best guess logic. So then you get into a long debate about the accuracy of the software. This isn't an issue if the sharpening algorithm makes your holiday snap look better. But in terms of identification evidence in a legal matter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK sharpening can be done if the blur is uniform and understood; and unlike what the movies would have you believe, the notion of sharpening to a finer resolution than the source image is fantasy. but with this, you may have lens blur, motion blur, and noise to deal with so it's going to be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Upload the video using WeTransfer.com, then post the link here. That way it won't be degraded by a conversion when uploading to something like streamable.

You can sharpen and enhance to get a better reading, but as mentioned, it won't be like on TV, but I've done it before to pick a reg out at night from CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That is true but it is their job to gather evidence and they have no issue canvassing for dash cam or cctv when they need it. Its a two way street in my book.

There's no chance they will search out third party CCTV for something like this. They just aren't interested and will see it as a waste of their time.

• Advertisement

True. You could request CCTV yourself from those sites under GDPR, if the vehicle was close to you at the moment you passed.

I never remember how exactly that works. But doesn't anyone else's identifying info have to be blurred? Would a car reg come under that? I've seen people elsewhere say a car reg is personal info and shouldn't be posted online under GDPR rules.

I know when setting up CCTV where I work, part of the data rules meant if someone requested a copy of the footage, everyone else would have to be blurred out that was in the footage. Sounds like a right pain if you had to deal with it.

They should blur other faces. I’ve never seen any ruling that suggests they should blur car registrations but I suppose it is possible. If you’re dealing with small organisations, if it’s probably worth a try anyway as you might well get something interesting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Trust me, they haven't the time for playing detective for you. Plus they probably won't want to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Not a cycling incident but I tried to report some awful driving near a school today to trafficwatch. 5 minute hold, then got through to someone on a terrible line, it took a couple of minutes to establish that I wasn't a garda(they kept asking for my long number I guess it's a garda ID) then they proceeded to take the details of the incident. I asked for the Pulse no and they said that would be up to the station to log it and create one. So I then asked which station so I could follow up. They weren't sure so I went through the process of figuring which station would be responsible with them when we figured it would be Dunboyne(More from my own knowledge than theirs) they said they would call them to log it now.

At that point I asked did they not submit it electronically and the response was no so I said I'd do it myself and they agreed that would probably be more straightforward! If it's any comfort, when I did get through the garda, tried to talk to out of reporting at least 3 times, then said he leave me to think about if I wanted to go through with it and call me tomorrow so this isn't just reserved for cyclists! Oh and to cap it off he wants me to travel to Ashbourne to give a statement, the incident happened just inside the Meath border outside Maynooth 30km from Ashbourne! This is exactly why I gave up reporting cycling incidents, the amount of time wasted and effort to do something that should be simple.

I know the feeling!

How do they expect to be taken seriously when doing PR Slow Down days when they don't go after the same bad driving 365? Sometimes you get lucky so you could try a cold call to station or maybe reconsider logging it via Traffic Watch.

I know that, but that does not mean that is right. Yes, no blood on the road, but prevention is a large part of their role in policing, so if a dangerous driver is sanctioned, it may help buck the escalating road fatalities. Consider it as a follow up to the National Slow Down Days... Or investing in safer roads.

It won't happen, yet we still get the narrative that motorists should slow down and be aware of vulnerable road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shotser

They wouldn't get the CCTV from a Merc Dealership when my bike was stolen from right under the camera. They had 2 weeks to get it before it was recorded over. Got the run around everyday when I rang them to see if they had contact the Merc dealership. Was told only the Garda who took my original report could deal with me. I was told she was on nights when I rang during the day, was told she was on days when I rang at night, was even told she was in Africa at one point! They never went to get it and nothing happened. Eventually met a lad cycling it down Thomas St. about 2 year later.

I presume you got it back so?

Ive contacted places for cctv myself before. A lot are happy to give it to you.

A mother with her 9yr old on the bike, close pass by a bus into oncoming traffic

Bus Eireann look to have acted quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shotser

Yeah the lad followed me to Kevin St. and asked for a refund off the Garda if he had to give it to them! It was all quite funny really. Took me a further 2 weeks to get it back from Kevin St. after I proved it was mine, the Garda with the keys went home early, he was out on a call etc etc.

The Merc dealership would only give the footage to An Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Not cycling related but pedestrian related. Crossing road with younger daughter this am at Sandymount strand light just went green for cross walk. Big Volvo jeep plows through red light for him/her

I guess little Fionn and Fiachra must have been late for their Rugger match so it was ok for the driver to disregard other peoples life

Out on Friday in wet conditions. Had the middle of my side of the road as there were potholes full of water on the inside. Van came behind me and started beeping and flew past me on a corner without slowing down. He caught me off guard and I swerved, nearly hitting a pothole.

Threw the hands up in frustration (no middle fingers) at his stupidity and the guy actually stopped ahead of me for a 'chat'. I asked him why he was beeping at me and why he didn't wait the 10 seconds for clear road, explaining how dangerous what he had done was. Turns out he was being sound and contentious and that drivers are meant to beep at cyclists 'to let them know they are behind them'.

There was no talking to the guy and no explaining how dangerous what he had done was. Threatened to assault me and I just started laughing as he was about a foot shorter than me and he wasn't happy with that. I don't like generalising, but the majority of incidents like this I've had are with tradesmen in their vans. Usually youngish and very aggressive males.

A few weeks ago, I was going through a traffic calming chicane at 7am when a van went past me at about 80kph when there wasn't room for a cigarette paper between us. Frightened the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep I yesterday and last week I met vans on narrow roads.

Both appeared to accelerate towards me and definitely didn't slow.

Neither gave me any space.

Young fellas.....

• Advertisement

Schrodinger's van driver - no time to wait for a safe place to pass - all the time in the world to stop to argue and threaten.

Threats delivered from inside a van are the best. He was about 5'3" in height with a belly as wide, surrounded by empty coffee cups and sandwich packages. I could only laugh at how pathetic he was threatening to "punch the head off me" for waving my hand at him after he had very nearly cleaned me off the bike. An angry little man.

It’s also great fun when there is a company name on the van, and you can ask them if they are good ambassadors for the company.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Another from Strawberry Beds, overtaking on a bend against an oncoming cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How did you embed that you tube video

ive tried uploading one but it’s just coming in as a link

also tried posting video directly but even though it’s only 32mb tells me it’s failed because over limit of 50mb!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

with youtube, paste the link and hit enter - if you paste the link and hit 'post comment' it won't try to embed the link, but hitting enter after should be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I know its a whole separate thread - but these separated lanes make me nervous for this reason. The separation seems to cause some people not to "see" the separated cycle traffic when checking if its safe to cross.

Advertisement