Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to deal with Jehovahs witnesses and Mormons?

• 08-03-2015 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Have you ever encountered a Jehovahs witness or Mormon? I was approached by two Mormons on Friday but I was very proud of how I dealt with them. I simply told them I was in a rush, took their business card, which I then tore into ten pieces and threw in the bin.

I know some people who seem to get great joy out of ripping their beliefs to pieces (no pun intended) but that's unfair in my opinion.

So have they ever come knocking and how have you dealt with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Rub your thighs vigorously at them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

One of the real benefits of living in an apartment complex - they can't get anywhere near me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

thelad95 wrote: »
    Have you ever encountered a Jehovahs witness or Mormon? I was approached by two Mormons on Friday but I was very proud of how I dealt with them. I simply told them I was in a rush, took their business card, which I then tore into ten pieces and threw in the bin.

I know some people who seem to get great joy out of ripping their beliefs to pieces (no pun intended) but that's unfair in my opinion.

I have had the bible bashers round and bashed them with a bible.

Yes I can't tolerate anyone calling to my door unanounced as it is really annoying.

I was renting a house before which was well out of the way and well hidden but my god they were persistent they called a good few times always told them busy or happened twice where I was heading out to work for real and kept at me. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As long as they go around knocking on doors annoying people about their religion or lack of, they deserve to be mocked for their own ridiculous beliefs. However if they go quietly about their business not bothering anyone, then I agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Don't answer the door, an unanswered door is a happy door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Hold a needle and tell them you need a blood transfusion...and FAST!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ruu wrote: »
    Don't answer the door, an unanswered door is a happy door.

Would have made Bosco a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Back home in NZ they used to frequently come door knocking. We had a system in our street where as soon as they were spotted, neighbours text/rang each other to warn. Garden sprinklers would then suddenly go on in strategically placed positions that hindered front door access.

Have not encountered any door knocking since moving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I don't really see what would fill you with pride about such an act of anger.

A simple no thanks will do.

We get a few Jehovas witness/ doomsday types at my gaff, but a simple "no thanks" with a smile (costs nothing) is perfectly effective. Tearing up business cards in their faces is stress that neither of you need in your day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Just give them five minutes of your time, I don't get the faux autrage at them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I rarely get approached by them outside. If they're handing out leaflets to passersby, I just take it and throw it in the next bin. I've refused one before and that just lead to questions.

I've gotten into arguments with a few Jehovah's Witnesses that came to the house so I don't converse with them anymore. As soon as I realise whoever is at the door is there to "convert me", I just close the door. I don't see the point in argueing with them and I don't want to entertain them, nor do I have the time to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They need a hook of some sort.
    Free balloons or 76 virgins or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

conorh91 wrote: »
    I don't really see what would fill you with pride about such an act of anger.

A simple no thanks will do.

We get a few Jehovas witness/ doomsday types at my gaff, but a simple "no thanks" with a smile (costs nothing) is perfectly effective. Tearing up business cards in their faces is stress that neither of you need in your day.

I'd like to emphasise that I did not tear it up in their faces. I told them I was too busy to talk, they gave me the card, I walked on and when I was a safe distance tore it up. I wouldn't be as cold-hearted to do it in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I just say im busy at the moment but ill take any literature you might have, they just hand you a few leaflets and are happy enough with that, there is no need to be an ass to them, there is enough of those around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Back home in NZ they used to frequently come door knocking. We had a system in our street where as soon as they were spotted, neighbours text/rang each other to warn. Garden sprinklers would then suddenly go on in strategically placed positions that hindered front door access.

Have not encountered any door knocking since moving here.
    That's community spirit, doesn't exist around me, probably not much more anywhere here, most for themselves.
    I'd a chat with the born again crowd or Jehovah's, I'm not sure which, not mormons, i think id be less up for having a laugh, interesting chat, seemed pleasant but highly unlikely they'd convert me, then again, I was coming up with answers to everything they suggested, that said I'd time to spare, if I hadn't I don't usually open the door or I'd just be straight and say I don't have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I'd like to emphasise that I did not tear it up in their faces. I told them I was too busy to talk, they gave me the card, I walked on and when I was a safe distance tore it up. I wouldn't be as cold-hearted to do it in their faces.
    Apologies, maybe I misunderstood. What I meant is tearing up someone's product where they can see it is unnecessary, whether they are selling broadband, or supermarket deals, or religion.

If you did it out of sight of the people in question, obviously that's commendable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ive only ever had people looking for money for wrestling (Im sure the WWF get enough money without needing to go door to door) and some people scoping out the place, they ask if you have a TV to see if your house is worth breaking into.

Never any religious folks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

With Jehovahs tell them you are an apostate. They are required to 'shun' you. It's an ex member they don't want current members talking to ex members. And it means if you leave they cut you off. It's controlling.

But yeah it works.

Dunno about Mormons....

I'm a pagan I banish em!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have a friend who tells jehovah witnesses that her landlord is a devout Catholic and that if he sees her even speaking to missionaries at the door she'd be thrown out. She says they scurry away with offers of prayers and promises to tell others of their ilk never to call to her.
    Not sure I'd have the acting skills myself but still is a novel approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Telling them to "fúck off" usually does the trick well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Telling them to "fúck off" usually does the trick well enough.

But there is no need for that sort of language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Ask the Jehovah's Witness for their birthdate and offer to throw them a party. Offer a couple of cokes or cups of tea to the Mormons. If their feet hurt, offer them a couple of aspirin.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Break out your cross and bible and try convert them, they usually come in two's so say to one of them that your going to convert the other and he can be your witness..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anytime I've come across them, they have been polite to me and I saw no reason to treat them any differently in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

kneemos wrote: »
    They need a hook of some sort.
    Free balloons or 76 virgins or something.

76 virgins - a bit too much work and a bit sore after a while

However......

76 whores - just call me Jehovah - I'm converted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I worked with a woman who was a Jehovah and going to people's houses was the highlight of her week. She always said that she didn't mind if people closed the door in her face or yelled at her because she would have someone to pray for!

She never tried to convert anyone in work and let her children choose if they wanted to be part of her religion.

I wouldn't be rude to anyone who came to my house or spoke to me on the street. I just take what they're giving and walk on. There isn't any reason to be rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I was stopped by a beautiful mormon lady recently and she didn't even mention god. It was a win-win .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Why did you feel the need to tear it up into 10 pieces? Why not just discard it in the bin?
    Seems a bit showy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Brego888 wrote: »
    Why did you feel the need to tear it up into 10 pieces? Why not just discard it in the bin?
    Seems a bit showy to me.

He didn't really tear it into ten pieces, he stuck it in his pocket. It makes a better story tearing it up though. Have you done the math about how you would tear something as small as a business card into ten pieces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Choochtown

KatW4 wrote: »
    I worked with a woman who was a Jehovah and going to people's houses was the highlight of her week. She always said that she didn't mind if people closed the door in her face or yelled at her because she would have someone to pray for!

She never tried to convert anyone in work and let her children choose if they wanted to be part of her religion.

I wouldn't be rude to anyone who came to my house or spoke to me on the street. I just take what they're giving and walk on. There isn't any reason to be rude.

I very much doubt that part

Advertisement