Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What distance learning are you doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C02A210 Approaching Literature

Just starting that this Febuary, my god knows how manyth course with the OU lol... :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Took Introduction to Pure Mathematics last year and found it very very good but encountered a lot of challanges in time management and getting back into structured studying (and learning to read maths again).

This year taking Mathematical Methods, Models and Modelling (same as DapperGent).
    Complex Analysis.
    Modelling Computer Processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Woohoo I have a study buddy!!

You'd better be smart. S-M-R-T.

All these Math's people :rolleyes: :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I study anatomy and phsiology in a vec part time,
    Its alot of work though it can be fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm studying for a Degree in IT Management with Oscail (Dublin City University).

Oscail

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Hey Tinky,
    do you know a guy called Liam Colgan - I think he's doing the same course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

MT262 "Putting computer systems to work" with the OU this year. Did two 30 pointers last year and vowed never again to put myself under that sort of pressure. I would imagine a single 60 point course would be much easier to manage.

Best of luck to all in yisser studies.

I've had 2 tutorials so far and have all the names and emails of everyone that attended but I dont see a Liam Colgan on the list.

Doesn't mean there isn't one as many students dont bother with the face to face tutorials at all.

What year is he in BigCon? I have a friend in 2nd year who may know him.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by milltown
    MT262 "Putting computer systems to work" with the OU this year. Did two 30 pointers last year and vowed never again to put myself under that sort of pressure. I would imagine a single 60 point course would be much easier to manage.

Best of luck to all in yisser studies.

How much is Putting computer systems to work setting you back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

OU's AA309: Roman Culture, Identity & Power.
    As an added bonus I hope they throw in Gladiator Training 101.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I've done T173 and I was doing T209 last year got about half way through it and ended up seriously ill in hospital:( by the time I was well enough I was over 2 modules behind which is a pity as it is an excellent course. I am going to pick it up again next year undecided what course yet I might redo T209 and another course at the same time since I completed T209 anyway in my own time I might as well get the points for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Well I've just signed away the next year/if not 4 years of my life to Nui Galway. I'm studying for a certificate in training and education which is a year long course. Hoping to carry on if successful to the Diploma (year 2) and then B.A. Degree (year 3 & 4). Good news is there are no exams :D but there are continuous assessments and a final year project. It's very applicable to my work though so hopefully I'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Im doing an MSc in Financial Economics with the University fo London

They dont have as wide a range as the OU, but do have a better selection of finance / business related masters. They are tad cheaper than the OU and have been offering distance learning for many years.

http://www.cefims.ac.uk/

All in all i would say im very pleased with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

BuffyBot wrote:
    Just starting that this Febuary

Bit weird but I actually sat the course last year - things went a bit t*ts up at the end of the year so I'm repeating the entire course.

It's a brilliant course, I really enjoyed it... especially the literature and gender section. On the plus side I'm saved from re-reading the novels... last year it was a nightmare!

I decided to do A103 & A210 at the same time... and everything was fine until it came to the end of the year. I decided I'd focus on A103 rather than have wasted a year. Now I can't wait for next year - it means I'll be able to really get into the course... I hated having to divide my time last year.

Now all I need to do is find out how to raise the funds for the damn course :( , the bank called me on Saturday morning to tell me I was pre-approved for a ten billion euro loan, I'd just have to repay €100 per week... and did I also know I was pre-approved for an overdraft?

Funnily enough at the end of October I did find that out...

Uh! It's not fair!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm doing a BA in Humanities through Oscail. Just finished my third and fourth module.

I initially started it to do History but I've only done one His module so far - next year I'm doing Philosophy 3 and Sociology 2.

For anyone who looked at learning with Oscail before and didn't like the year they had (March to Nov) they're in the process of moving to the standard academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'm doing the Degree in IT @ Oscail.

I'm in my second year, (of 7).

X

I'm doing the Degree in IT @ Oscail.

I'm in my second year, (of 7).

X

You might find this site useful so !!

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 45 princess27

BigCon wrote:
    Hey Tinky,
    do you know a guy called Liam Colgan - I think he's doing the same course?

Is that Liam Colgan who used to work in Bank of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

RHS cert in Horticulture - just started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Finished DD100 Social Sciences in June and starting DD201 Sociology & Society with OU in a few weeks.

Loving it, but time management is difficult at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Will be starting a grad dip in environmental protection with SligoIT at the end of the month?

Any secrets as to how to motivate yourself for distance learning. Beginning to think 'was is the best option'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

LFC I tend to make coffee every chance I get. I think (in my head) it justifies getting up away from the desk. I thought it would be easier now that I'm older but I feel exactly the way I did when I was in college. Guilty for not studying and relieved when I do a bit. It's really hard to get down to it after a days work.

I know this isn't a very motivational post, but I know how your feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Just started my BSc in IT through Oscail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I'm studying CSS and Web Development atm through Learning Port.

Full course catalog

Request a free demo

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BarneyTrouble

I tried the BSc in IT with Oscail before but didn't do very well and only completed 1 module, I'm currently studying towards a BEng with the OU, Have completed 2 10 point modules and am currently doing T191 which is a right pain and MST121 which is ok but it's been a long time since I did any in depth maths

Kicking off what will be hopefully my last OU course for my degree, AA310.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01AA310

I won't know what to do with myself after 6 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

I will be starting a MSc in Renewable Energy and Energy Management with the University of Ulster via the internet in September . I dont know what to expect but looking forward to the unknown:D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Ok so I've been looking at the New Horizons learning centre, and I was wondering has anyone completed a computer related course with them? I was looking at doing the design and media library online course, I think it looks brilliant.

But has anyone had hands on experience with them? Would love to hear some input!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Smiley012 wrote:
    Ok so I've been looking at the New Horizons learning centre, and I was wondering has anyone completed a computer related course with them? I was looking at doing the design and media library online course, I think it looks brilliant.

But has anyone had hands on experience with them? Would love to hear some input!

If you are thinking about doing the design and media course one of the Account Managers in New Horizons should have emailed you out a demo of what you are looking to buy so you can experience what it is like first hand.

Advertisement