Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight gain of cattle bought in spring till fall

• 16-09-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if you bought cattle in the first week of April and had them on good grass for the year, new reseeded ground what weight gain would you be exspecting for the first week of November? The cattle would be limousines out of British freisian cows around 340kg,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

morphy87 wrote: »
    I am just wondering if you bought cattle in the first week of April and had them on good grass for the year, new reseeded ground what weight gain would you be exspecting for the first week of November? The cattle would be limousines out of British freisian cows around 340kg,

Should be around 500kg anyways if they were dosed properly during the year also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Should be around 500kg anyways if they were dosed properly during the year also.

At a minimum 500kg

You'd want to be putting on 180-200 kg as general rule in the summer grazing period, or more if the cattle were a hungry type when bought in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭stanflt

Panch18 wrote: »
    At a minimum 500kg

You'd want to be putting on 180-200 kg as general rule in the summer grazing period, or more if the cattle were a hungry type when bought in

Rule of thumb for continentals is 1.1kg lwg per day from March till late October avg if grass is managed properly and I mean properly
    Fr bullocks will easy do 1kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭morphy87

Yeah I was thinking if they were 340 kgs going out you would be hoping by mid November to be hitting 550kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

morphy87 wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking if they were 340 kgs going out you would be hoping by mid November to be hitting 550kgs

If you are buying them too well done (like a lot of weanlings are In the spring) You won’t get them near 550kg. It’ll take them a couple of months to get going and you mightn’t even hit 500kg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Cavanjack wrote: »
    If you are buying them too well done (like a lot of weanlings are In the spring) You won’t get them near 550kg. It’ll take them a couple of months to get going and you mightn’t even hit 500kg.

nothing worse than buying store cattle in the spring and they pumped with nuts - you are litterally paying for weight that wouldn't be there in a months time.

A good hungry spring bullock though will turn inside out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Bought 10 limousine heifers mid march. They were hungry yearlings weighing a tad shy of 300kg. Paid €535 - €555 for them.
    Weighed this week they averaged 535kg. One of them was 585kg.
    No meal, just dose twice and on good grass. Very happy with they way they thrived, and caused me no hassle all summer. I think the yearling is the sweet spot for my land which is a bit heavy.
    I've tried the 2 year old, I've tried the big Charli, I've tried the puffed up Weanlings but none of them left me any profit. These heifers are now worth over the 1k mark which is a decent return.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

Bought 10 limousine heifers mid march. They were hungry yearlings weighing a tad shy of 300kg. Paid €535 - €555 for them.
    No meal, just dose twice and on good grass. Very happy with they way they thrived, and caused me no hassle all summer. I think the yearling is the sweet spot for my land which is a bit heavy.
    I've tried the 2 year old, I've tried the big Charli, I've tried the puffed up Weanlings but none of them left me any profit. These heifers are now worth over the 1k mark which is a decent return.

You bought them cheap, where did u buy and what time of the year?
    They done well on the grass during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

To make money in beef, someone has to lose on them and the fella u bought then off is surely losing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭kk.man

Nice twist there TOB, I say your costs are 100e. Fine example of money in summer grazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Bought them in Ennis mart, in fairness they didn't look great the first day they had no meal got and were very slats dirty. I wasn't expecting them to do much, and I'd say I was the only one for them that day.
    I spoke to the lad that had them, turned out he got was stuck with them due to TB. He was happy to be offloading stock as I'd say he had some winter feed bill with all the extra stock on top of his dairy cows. He had another batch of whitehead heifers too, very similar to mine which in hindsight I should have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Sillycave wrote: »
    You bought them cheap, where did u buy and what time of the year?
    They done well on the grass during the summer

I’d want to see proof, remember that old thread money in beef? The poster was asked for proof but could only give a shoddy looking receipt.

Advertisement