Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thistles

• 17-09-2020 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I sprayed thistles in may, however in july/August I had more thistles back in same area. Im just wondering if the old thistles would grow again after being sprayed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Sprays weren't that effective back in may with all the dryness in ground and little rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It could be late emerging thistles which hadn't grown when you sprayed in May. May might have been a little early to spray June might have been but if you have a heavy infestation it'll probably take a few years to get properly under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Tomjim wrote: »
    I sprayed thistles in may, however in july/August I had more thistles back in same area. Im just wondering if the old thistles would grow again after being sprayed.

Too early

Spray when the buds appear but before they open into flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Omallep2

I found fertilise a week beforehand and get them with thistlex when actively growing. 1 hit and killed all here (and they were bad🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Omallep2

I found fertilise a week beforehand and get them with thistlex when actively growing. 1 hit and killed all here (and they were bad🤣)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is it too late to use mcpa for thistles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is it too late to use mcpa for thistles

Mcpa will only kill the growth for this year, use thistles or grazon if you want to get rid of them.

If they're not gone to seed yet it's not too late I think. You should be okay for maybe another fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

I spot stayed bull thistles earlier in the year and there awful slow to die off this year, used m50 at the recommended rate, would it be the dry conditions is it just a poor herbicide? Id normally use nu46 for spot spraying but wasn't in the co.op this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What's pastor like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭kk.man

I sprayed grazon Pro from nap sack... I started bout 3 days ago.. Nettles, thistle and docks all falling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Bog Trotter99

kk.man wrote: »
    I sprayed grazon Pro from nap sack... I started bout 3 days ago.. Nettles, thistle and docks all falling.

But they are like Arnie Schwarzenegger. They will be back.

Advertisement