Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

They are now working very late on the Sallins bypass, currently (11pm on a Saturday) still busily working away and doesn't sound like they are packing up for the night yet either. Can hear and see the lights from the front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

They are now working very late on the Sallins bypass, currently (11pm on a Saturday) still busily working away and doesn't sound like they are packing up for the night yet either. Can hear and see the lights from the front garden.
    Possibly this was in preparation for a number of road closures happening in the coming weeks in order to facilitate the completion of the bypass... Hopefully an indication that we are on the home stretch!
    See communication from Kildare co. council here:
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/TempClosingofRoads-Decision-L2006Osberstown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Possibly this was in preparation for a number of road closures happening in the coming weeks in order to facilitate the completion of the bypass... Hopefully an indication that we are on the home stretch!
    See communication from Kildare co. council here:
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/TempClosingofRoads-Decision-L2006Osberstown.html

That will likely facilitate the new overbridge being connected to the road and the current temporary road being removed, interested to see if they will include cycle links here, there were some complaints that it hadn't been given consideration.

https://i.imgur.com/b7Utgut.jpg

Halfway through the bypass at the approach to roundabout coming from Clane...left to Sallins and straight on for motorway.

Does anyone know if it is still possible/allowed to walk on the bypass? Might go for a walk there tomorrow assuming there is no working there on Sundays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is still possible/allowed to walk on the bypass? Might go for a walk there tomorrow assuming there is no working there on Sundays?

Yes you can....was up there myself last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trigger85

How is progress? Is there any timeframe at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Trigger85 wrote: »
    How is progress? Is there any timeframe at all?

From their website - www.m7upgrade.com

IdtGSaM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

A lot of the new signage up on Clane road.
    Clane Road end looks ready for tarmac.
    Sallins village road new footpath installed to village and ready for surfacing.
    Osberstown is the least advanced area I guess. Currently working on West ramp up to new Osberstown Road overbridge. They may have started removing the Osberstown Road that crossed the construction site. They have yet to tie in the East ramp, and the new link to Grand Canal.

End of October...possible I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Osberstown is the least advanced area I guess. Currently working on West ramp up to new Osberstown Road overbridge. They may have started removing the Osberstown Road that crossed the construction site. They have yet to tie in the East ramp, and the new link to Grand Canal.

That's a fairly comprehensive update, thanks for that.

Good to know the end is finally in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 hero001

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/574055/sallins-bypass-to-open-by-end-of-2020.html

Looks like the opening is now pushed back to the end of the year “providing no unexpected delays occur.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

hero001 wrote: »
    https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/574055/sallins-bypass-to-open-by-end-of-2020.html

Looks like the opening is now pushed back to the end of the year “providing no unexpected delays occur.”

It's Kildare now. Utter rubbish "news" site that usually reports on "drunk man arrested".

If you read the story there's absolutely nothing in it. It says "completion" not the opening date.

It's quite normal for a final completion date to be months after opening.

The 3 lanes of the M7 are open, but it's only being completed now with the overhead signage.

• In the last few days the canal road as well as Osberstown Road are closed to facilitate new tie in and Osberstown Road overbridge east ramp
    • Final surfacing of Clane end roundabout has begun - single traffic lane at the moment
    • The road from Bodenstown crossroad to Clane also has a single lane of traffic section but this is due to the wastewater project pipe-laying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

• In the last few days the canal road as well as Osberstown Road are closed to facilitate new tie in and Osberstown Road overbridge east ramp
    • Final surfacing of Clane end roundabout has begun - single traffic lane at the moment
    • The road from Bodenstown crossroad to Clane also has a single lane of traffic section but this is due to the wastewater project pipe-laying.

I think from the above October is more likely than Dec.
    Local news sites are even worse than the mainstream media at reporting on transport-related matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

spacetweek wrote: »
    Local news sites are even worse than the mainstream media at reporting on transport-related matters.
    Which is probably why the area is lacking so much public transport haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

At least light at the end of the tunnel of a very poorly run project!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭millb

I may be wrong on this but I believe there will be no by-pass access / junction for vehicles at Osberstown. There will be cycle access paths- although cycle-lane will divert off the by-pass to go under the rail-line. Can't wait to see how it turns out and expect a great improvement for Sallins and nearby Naas areas.

millb wrote: »
    I may be wrong on this but I believe there will be no by-pass access / junction for vehicles at Osberstown. There will be cycle access paths- although cycle-lane will divert off the by-pass to go under the rail-line. Can't wait to see how it turns out and expect a great improvement for Sallins and nearby Naas areas.

Correct, the only vehicle access to the bypass will be from the Sallins link road. The Osberstown over-bridge will be a flyover with access only to exiting L2006 road and to the canal road on the east side of the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

regedit wrote: »
    At least light at the end of the tunnel of a very poorly run project!

The project started November 2017, due to finish end October 2020, so yeah 3 years for this project was too long, they dragged out the workload. The quality of the works looks good. We will have to see how the road surface holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    The project started November 2017, due to finish end October 2020, so yeah 3 years for this project was too long, they dragged out the workload. The quality of the works looks good. We will have to see how the road surface holds up.

If it's like parts of the M7, not very well!

• Advertisement

Traffic now using both sides of the new roundabout on the Clane road.
    I took a walk to look at the progress of the Osberstown area from the Canal bridge.
    Image looking towards rail bridge and Osberstown bridge.
    I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if the bypass is complete by the end of October!
    Year end might even be pushing it??
    6CiccvT

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I will use the Sallins bypass a lot to get up to Meath and the M4 - will cut off a nice bit of time and irritation.
    Hard to see it opening end October though? That’s only a month away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If it's like parts of the M7, not very well!

Yeah, it was touched on soon after it opened and already has had a pothole filled in, and the inside lane SB is very uneven in spits between J9 & J10.

Cannot speak for further south as I come off at J10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yeah, it was touched on soon after it opened and already has had a pothole filled in, and the inside lane SB is very uneven in spits between J9 & J10.

Cannot speak for further south as I come off at J10

There’s an awful hump between Naas south and the M9 turn off about half way southbound. I mean really noticeable. Very poor quality job. There’s another few on the other side

road_high wrote: »
    I will use the Sallins bypass a lot to get up to Meath and the M4 - will cut off a nice bit of time and irritation.
    Hard to see it opening end October though? That’s only a month away

Yep, although it might be possible in normal times if a concerted effort was made, hard to imagine it will happen in current conditions.

Explored from Osberstown Road to Clane Road and to Sallins. Entire scheme still needs at least one surface layer. Maybe end of year as per Leinster Leader?
    • East ramp for new Osberstown Road overbridge surfacing in progress - maybe complete?
    • Temp Osberstown Road still open for Canal Road access - this road has yet to be removed
    • Roadway under railway and to bottom of Canal bridge still early days yet
    • All surfaces from south of canal bridge northwards to Clane and Sallins require at least one more layer
    • Base for cycleways all in place
    • Most footpaths (concrete) in place
    • Soil for verges largely in place and level
    • A lot of posts for signage in place
    • Clane roundabout kerbed ready for regrading, final surfacing
    • Road into Sallins kerbed, ready for regrading, final surfacing
    • Most attenuation ponds look complete.
    • Very large pond or Irish Water facility going in just north of railway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Explored from Osberstown Road to Clane Road and to Sallins. Entire scheme still needs at least one surface layer. Maybe end of year as per Leinster Leader?
    • East ramp for new Osberstown Road overbridge surfacing in progress - maybe complete?
    • Temp Osberstown Road still open for Canal Road access - this road has yet to be removed
    • Roadway under railway and to bottom of Canal bridge still early days yet
    • All surfaces from south of canal bridge northwards to Clane and Sallins require at least one more layer
    • Base for cycleways all in place
    • Most footpaths (concrete) in place
    • Soil for verges largely in place and level
    • A lot of posts for signage in place
    • Clane roundabout kerbed ready for regrading, final surfacing
    • Road into Sallins kerbed, ready for regrading, final surfacing
    • Most attenuation ponds look complete.
    • Very large pond or Irish Water facility going in just north of railway line.

Great details OP. Many thanks for the info. Coming home one evening during the past week, I noticed workers erecting lighting poles (I think) on the top of the slip NB @J9a

A few pics

A few more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

A few more

Great shots, thanks.

Advertisement