Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road Bike Tyres Recommendations

Options
  • 17-09-2020 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am need of recommendations for new tyres, I have grand prix 4000 tyres but getting punctures too often for the routes I go for spins, can you recommend a better tyre which is more puncture resistent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

I'd recommend the contis GP 4 seasons, had them on the bike in all conditions and never once had a puncture! Feel like they're bombproof. easily around 5000km on them.

The rubber started to crack on them and replaced them with the conti grand prix a few months ago and still no punctures.

Both very grippy but haven't really ridden the new grand prix ones in the wet yet. Puncture resistance is amazing on the 4 season as i would normaly be commuting to work through Dublin city with glass everwhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

I have GP 4000 and punctures two days in a row, so like a change!

Looked at gatorskins and saw two versions, folding vs normal much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance, have used them a lot and have had no issues .
    They size up quite big so a 23 is more like a 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

ipodrocker wrote: »
    I have GP 4000 and punctures two days in a row, so like a change!

Looked at gatorskins and saw two versions, folding vs normal much difference?

Folding and wire tires use different materials in the bead that clinches to the rim. Folding tires actually fold into a compact shape for packaging vs normal/wire ones are too stiff to fold.. I think :P. But for punctures and speed, there's no difference.

I'd avoid the Gatorskins tbh, they are lethal when it's wet outside. Had a couple of hairy moments on them!

Also might be worth your while running your finger along gently and the inside part of the tire. Might be a piece of glass that poking through if you gotten two punctures in a row! Might not see it on the outside if its worked its way through the rubber.

The two tires I linked are different to the GP 4000's by the way :o they've way more puncture resistance than the GP 4000's, which are more race tires (sacfrficing puncture protection for speed!)

Gidea wrote: »
    I'd avoid the Gatorskins tbh, they are lethal when it's wet outside. Had a couple of hairy moments on them!

Interesting different people say different things about the gatorskins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭secman

Interesting different people say different things about the gatorskins!

Lethal in wet conditions for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shotser

Maxxis ReFuse. Have used them for years, no punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

secman wrote: »
    Lethal in wet conditions for sure.

+1 never again. They can not handle wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

Conti 4 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭G1032

Vittoria Rubino Pro IV G2.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

rcklap wrote: »
    +1 never again. They can not handle wet conditions.

Another vote for them not being worth it.

Plush: Vittoria Pave's.
    Middlin': Conti Grand Prix's or Michelin Pro 4 Endurance.
    Budget: Michelin Lithion's.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'd also be a fan of 4 seasons. I have them on my winter bike and they have been great. Not had any punctures yet after around 1000km

I would definitely not get gatorskins if you will be out in the wet. I credit them with me ending up on crutches and off my bike for 3 months after going round a tight-ish corner in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Conti 4 Seasons - hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Highly recommend Michelin Power Endurance. I have them in 28mm on my training bike and love them. Excellent grip and puncture resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Highly recommend Michelin Power Endurance. I have them in 28mm on my training bike and love them. Excellent grip and puncture resistance.

I've always used Michelin Pro Endurance and thought they were very good. Sidewall is starting to look very worn so I ordered some Pirelli P Zeros earlier today. I'm not really sure why I switched other than to try them out. I've never had Pirellis before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

redlead wrote: »
    I've always used Michelin Pro Endurance and thought they were very good. Sidewall is starting to look very worn so I ordered some Pirelli P Zeros earlier today. I'm not really sure why I switched other than to try them out. I've never had Pirellis before.

I‘be done about 600km on my Pirelli P Zero 4S tyres. Gone about twice in the wet and they performed well. They’re a grippy tyre and very easy to change. I change them to regularly to fit on a set of cyclocross tyres instead. They’ve not punctured yet but as I say when they do they’re very pliable thankfully.

My previous tyres were Gatorskins. Christ they were ropey as fook and an absolute cnut to change!

sounds like 4 seasons are ones to go for, my use is longer spins for leisure and fitness. guess my other question is 25c or 28c or does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭saccades

If your frame can, 28c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Michelin Pro4 Endurance or Michelin Pro4 Service Course. I've been using one or the other for years while commuting and cycling in Dublin and I get very few punctures. I get between about 5,500/6,000km out of a pair.

saccades wrote: »
    If your frame can, 28c.

what is a good way to figure out if the frame can take 28c ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Unless you have a pretty aero frame, this probably isn't going to be an issue.

Do you have disc brakes or rim brakes? If you have rim brakes, you could potentially have issues with 28s.

If you're in any doubt, just get the 25s. There's differences in rolling resistance and comfort, but it's pretty marginal (personal opinion).

Unless you have a pretty aero frame, this probably isn't going to be an issue.

Do you have disc brakes or rim brakes? If you have rim brakes, you could potentially have issues with 28s.

If you're in any doubt, just get the 25s. There's differences in rolling resistance and comfort, but it's pretty marginal (personal opinion).

I have rim brakes guess I'll go for 25s

Tyres for a 26'' wheel??? I've actually never thought about this before until someone was asking me about it this evening, normally I'd have told them to look at the side wall and get what ever size they already have.

I haven't rode a 26" in donkeys but I was thinking to myself would they be better off on a less knobbly narrower tyre than the standard mtb ones you get on cheapish bikes? At a guess they are currently on 26 x 2.00 or 1.75 I really should have checked, which is what a 40 - 50mm tyre? What do folks who have 26'' rims use on the road?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the road, i used to use 1.5" slicks on my MTB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, mudguards could be a limiting factor, regardless of rim or disc brakes.

on the road, i used to use 1.5" slicks on my MTB.

All year?

well, just when on the road. but yeah, all year.

well, just when on the road. but yeah, all year.

Sorry MB consider that a stupid question, I'm 'tyred' when you said slick my brain thought F1 slick and not bike road tyre slick :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I have rim brakes guess I'll go for 25s

My old frame was only supposed to fit 25s max, but I managed to fit 28s on it. It was just a small squeeze past the brake blocks. I did have to adjust the mudguard bracket though. Much prefer them to the 25s. I've recently changed the frame, and new one has v brakes, so I'll probably go 32s next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Effects wrote: »
    My old frame was only supposed to fit 25s max, but I managed to fit 28s on it. It was just a small squeeze past the brake blocks. I did have to adjust the mudguard bracket though. Much prefer them to the 25s. I've recently changed the frame, and new one has v brakes, so I'll probably go 32s next time!

I've a fixie with 25, they are fast but not comfortable at all. I have a pair of giant fondos 32s so I'm going to bang them on the weekend. I will have to fit them and not pump them up until I get them past the v brakes. Tight but will be worth it.

Advertisement