Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Shimmy! wrote: »
    After being on hold for 45 minutes, finally got through to a cancellation team member. Asked what deals she could give me as I am a long standing customer and the prices keep going up. Was paying €59 per month for 250mb internet. She said best they could do was €49 for six months and then €59 thereafter. Asked if we threw in TV bundle would they give us a better deal. Offered me 250MB broadband and basic TV for €82 per month as the "best she could do". Told her there were better offers on the website for new customers, said she wasn't allowed to offer these to me.

Cancelled after a pointless conversation! Bye Felicia

Similar deal to what they offered me for the bundle - definitely pushing people to switch provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

do people call em much in advance in regards to cancellation ?
    remember if correct last year they were anal about giving notice on the dot 30 days, as im month and a half to go but after putting in last payment, will def need to shop around vodafone most likely so are they still like that or can i give em a buzz and be done few days earlier come next month ?

as know install with vodafone might take a while but seeing above deals and being on 9mo offer can't see any way ill be kept as customer, as just use BB and cost wise its not even remotely efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

tried ringing a few times over the last month or so but never got through
    stuck with it this morning, over 30mins on hold before someone answered
    offered me 15 off per month for 9 months stright off the bat and told me after a year to ring back up for another offer

i told them i wanted half price for 9 months. she checked with her supervisor.
    she did whatever thumb twiddling they do while pretending to go to their supervisor and came back and told me i had 6 months at half price before..... it was over 2 years ago now.
    they don't repeat offers so i couldn't have it

told her to quit the crap, loads of people get it and it is all over boards :D

so she then checked with her supervisor again...... came back, told me the supervisor didn't answer and hemmed and hawed if she could give it to me..... eventually did because i didn't get the offer last year!

so 6 months at half price, but i won't get it again...... hmmm we'll see about that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I rang tonight (58 Mins on Phone) to see when my contract would be finished so i could cancel it, guy said even though its not out till end of month he would look at it, he said i was with them a long time,

i said i hadn,t had 9 months for ages even though i got it year before, he immediately offered me 9 months half price, i did say i was considering cancelling one or two of my boxes, he said that can be done at any time ,

So seems if you have tv broadband home phone , the tv box is a 30 day contract unlike your internet ,

Anyway offer was internet 500mb, home phone, 4 tv boxes €64 for Nine Months and €113 after that so ring up a year from no

I rang tonight (58 Mins wait on Phone) to see when my contract would be finished so i could cancel it, guy said even though its not out till end of month he would look at it, he said i was with them a long time,

i said i hadn,t had 9 months for ages even though i got it year before, he immediately offered me 9 months half price, i did say i was considering cancelling one or two of my boxes, he said that can be done at any time ,

So seems if you have tv broadband home phone , the tv box is a 30 day contract unlike your internet ,

Anyway offer was internet 500mb, home phone, 4 tv boxes €64 for Nine Months and €113 after that so ring up a year from no

• Advertisement

torrevieja wrote: »
    I rang tonight (58 Mins wait on Phone) to see when my contract would be finished so i could cancel it, guy said even though its not out till end of month he would look at it, he said i was with them a long time,

Are they throwing the 9 months at people now ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

torrevieja wrote: »
    Are they throwing the 9 months at people now ?

I rang recently, they couldn't formally offer me the 9 months half price as I'm not in the last month of billing yet but I was told I would get it when I ring back in a couple of weeks. Easiest discussion I've had with loyalty in a good few years considering I usually have to fight for the 6 months / 9 months half price offers.

I'd imagine sales are tight and people may be cutting back on services given all that's going on with Covid. Understandable too, if I don't get a strong offer I'll be cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I rang recently, they couldn't formally offer me the 9 months half price as I'm not in the last month of billing yet but I was told I would get it when I ring back in a couple of weeks. Easiest discussion I've had with loyalty in a good few years considering I usually have to fight for the 6 months / 9 months half price offers.

I'd imagination sales are tight and people may be cutting back on services given all that's going on with Covid. Understandable too, if I don't get a strong offer I'll be cancelling.

Also I'd say people who can now get Siro are leaving Virgin in their droves.
    They are expensive compared to some of the other providers for the same offerings and they can't advertise as "fastest broadband" on their own any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

okidoki987 wrote: »
    They are expensive compared to some of the other providers

The €30 per month for 12 months offer that Vodafone, sky and Eir all have at the moment it's apparently really hurting Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

JTMan wrote: »
    The €30 per month for 12 months offer that Vodafone, sky and Eir all have at the moment it's apparently really hurting Virgin.

That's for the 500 Gigabyte with Vodafone?

Am precluded from getting Sky/Eir cos I'd need a landline but Vodafones offer is tempting me for sure cos currently paying €62.99 with VM & out of contract; ringing CS in morning to see what will Loyalty Dept. do for me.

If they match that for 12 Months I'll stay; otherwise I'll ring VF & place order.

Best VM're doing for new customers seems to be €35 for 250 Mb Broadband; the other €59 a month offer is pointless with what I'm currently paying.

VM previously offered me €29 for 6 Months & 59 for other 6; they'll have to do better than that this time to keep me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

The €30 per month for 12 months offer is for 100 MB and 500 MB broadband. https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

JTMan wrote: »
    The €30 per month for 12 months offer is for 100 MB and 500 MB broadband. https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html

Yes- but for the average person feeding internet around their house by wifi- they simply don't have the capacity to use much better than this (not everyone has decent AC routers- or even better). You can happily run a couple of hd streams on 100Mbps simultaneously. Its all well and good having a 1Gb connection- but if your equipment can't even use it, its completely pointless.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

@The Conductor would the vodafone deal be good enough for 2 smart tvs, laptop and 2 ipads all at the same time?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can anyone recommend the best number to ring to try get a good cancellation deal. My contract is up in the next few weeks, seriously considering just going to vodafone.

pc7 wrote: »
    @The Conductor would the vodafone deal be good enough for 2 smart tvs, laptop and 2 ipads all at the same time?

That might be overkill for a 100Mb connection- if you were using them all at the same time- but how likely is this to actually happen- thats 7 different devices- and are you using HD streams on all 7 devices?

Re: Vodafone- one of their partners is SIRO- it might be an idea to check out on the SIRO website whether or not SIRO is available at your address- if it is, its a no brainer (obviously price dependent)- but you would have the beat of anything that Virgin Media can supply- at a better pricepoint for comparable products than VM are willing to offer (unless you get a seriously good offer from them).

VM are not competitive at the moment- and they know it.

I checked and SIRO isn't on my road yet which is a pity, we'd usually have 2 ipads on the go and smart tv streaming at weekend, that would be max at the same time.

I checked and SIRO isn't on my road yet which is a pity, we'd usually have 2 ipads on the go and smart tv streaming at weekend, that would be max at the same time.

It is a pity- but 30 quid a month for a 100Mb fibre connection for 12 months on a 12 month contract- is very hard to argue with..........

Currently on hold for 33 Minutes; do I hang up and go again? Went with Cancellation Dept. option.

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Am precluded from getting Sky/Eir cos I'd need a landline but Vodafones offer is tempting me for sure cos currently paying €62.99 with VM & out of contract; ringing CS in morning to see what will Loyalty Dept. do for me.

If they match that for 12 Months I'll stay; otherwise I'll ring VF & place order.

Best VM're doing for new customers seems to be €35 for 250 Mb Broadband; the other €59 a month offer is pointless with what I'm currently paying.

VM previously offered me €29 for 6 Months & 59 for other 6; they'll have to do better than that this time to keep me.

€29.50 for 9 Months & €59 for 3........now should I stay or should I SIRO/go?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Currently on hold for 33 Minutes; do I hang up and go again? Went with Cancellation Dept. option.

You might have to hold for a while longer yet, it's taking upwards to an hour at times to get through. Madness.

• Advertisement

after 45 minutes got through to a lovely man, but he told me they got a memo on Friday that the best they can do for anyone at the minute is €15 off per month. I said I had a good offer with Vodafone and SIRO that the difference was 700 quid. That everyone on boards is getting the lovely limerick lady with the 9 month offers. He said he cant do it at all the memo said €15. So I said ok lets just cancel and we'll leave it at that. I'm with them 13 years, where is the loyalty. He said hang on i'll message him, where we used to be in the office it was easier to get deals for people. But after 15 minutes still no dice. I ended up changing to broadband only andgot €15 off a month with that a new modem, didn't want to risk the VF offer at 100mb. I did say on the call I want 9 months off if anyone here posts they get it after me and to note its been recorded lol

Hopefully next year I can move to SIRO if they are in the area.

after 45 minutes got through to a lovely man, but he told me they got a memo on Friday that the best they can do for anyone at the minute is €15 off per month. I said I had a good offer with Vodafone and SIRO that the difference was 700 quid. That everyone on boards is getting the lovely limerick lady with the 9 month offers. He said he cant do it at all the memo said €15. So I said ok lets just cancel and we'll leave it at that. I'm with them 13 years, where is the loyalty. He said hang on i'll message him, where we used to be in the office it was easier to get deals for people. But after 15 minutes still no dice. I ended up changing to broadband only andgot €15 off a month with that a new modem, didn't want to risk the VF offer at 100mb. I did say on the call I want 9 months off if anyone here posts they get it after me and to note its been recorded lol

Hopefully next year I can move to SIRO if they are in the area.
    way i see it its your choice, im on 500mb with them in siro area, but almost every device is on wifi even my own pc so i get like 60mb from about 12 feet away most speed on my card, thats roughly 3-6mb downlaod or stream if other end isnt congested as to be fair aside poor wifi due to their crap hub, i have hive, hue lights and 3pcs and same for tablets and its enough.

So even thou i got bumped up to 500 from likes of 250 over the years with deals, the difference could be argued in my case.

as know Ill be canceling in a week, and even without siro id see no point in staying- if it costs you 700e a year its up to you, but way i see it theres cheaper alternatives and most dont ever use the max speeds, granted few might have houses wired with ethernet, but id say 90% are on constant wifi, and given poor hub performance, likes of 700 can buy some decent mesh router, NICs even on 100mb line.

as same as you been customer for since UPC times so close to 10yrs, and that 15off has been offered since the day i found this thread as first option always before they cave in for 6mo off.

Then again this is like tea reading some seem to get 9mo holy grail, so guess its down week to week reviews at VM how many customers they can cut lose, and how many cop on that they overpay and decide to cancel is main factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Coming up to that time of year again.
    Last year they would only give me 3 months half price so I took a chance and went ahead with cancelling.
    A week later they rang me and offered 9 months half price.
    I'll probably do the same again this year and see what happens.

I'm paying €70 pm for 360 speed broadband and home telephone unlimited. I'm gonna drop the land line and see what they'll do just for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

U will be grand i have TV 2 laptops and 3 phones at same time doing heavy work and it works fine

well gave notice today, spent over 50mins on phone waiting to get trough cancellations, agent tried its best to pull every trick to keep me on - even after explained that had every offer under the sun for last 5 years and no way in terms of cost speeds they could offer anything better- as 9mo seems once off deal, but didnt bother to push for any really as had mind set so just needed to get cancellation processed/confirmed for the right date.Only downside since called week early will be disconnected week earlier so losing few quid on that but still a months time, to have switch done.

even thou got usual put on hold to see if we can offer you smth, and best came up with 6mo half price on current 500mb bb only, anyhow pushed trough to cancel and ordered 1gig fiber from vodafone, so hoping in few weeks time will be connected. Now to find vodafone fiber forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Cancelled and moved from Virgin to Vodafone :).
    Got the email to confirm closing date and "we will be in contact in the next 30 days to collect the equipment".
    2 months after cancellation date, eventually got a mail to organise return of the router to them.
    I also have an older router which was never previously collected so will throw that in as well.
    Hopefully will never have to deal with them again.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Cancelled and moved from Virgin to Vodafone :).
    Got the email to confirm closing date and "we will be in contact in the next 30 days to collect the equipment".
    2 months after cancellation date, eventually got a mail to organise return of the router to them.
    I also have an older router which was never previously collected so will throw that in as well.
    Hopefully will never have to deal with them again.

yeah they give you option to return via parcel motel, but at the end u can refurb it yourself otherwise been told, dont think they really care tbf, label to ship it costs em more then the hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Does Vodafone not come on the landline also?

Seve OB wrote: »
    Does Vodafone not come on the landline also?

It depends on the specific property- Vodafone partner with a range of different suppliers to facilitate BB - incl. SIRO, Eircom, BT and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Just renewed with vodafone at 25 for full year !! Better than 25 for 6 months last year ! Not a single issue for last 11 months !! Slower speed of 80 but more than enough even working remotely.

Advertisement