Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Villain wrote: »
    I don't think the Eagle did Met Eireann any favours on News at One on RTE Radio, I like his cool calm style but saying the storm is in the premiership of storms etc only plays into the perception that warnings are over the top and people ignore them, also if you compare his comments with their very good Meteorologist's Commentary it just causes confusion.

Well if I remember correctly, didn't he downplay Storm Emma too? Love the Eagle but he has had some questionable forecasts on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Synoptically, Hannah looks similar to this low on 23 April 1947 which brought violent storm force winds to Ireland.

Shannon Airport had a max gust of 165 km/h and a max 10-minute mean wind speed of 109 km/h on this day, the Irish records for April back to 1942.

archives-1947-4-23-12-0.png?

The local media down here in Cork seem to be taking it very seriously, saying not to travel unless absolutely neccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

The local media down here in Cork seem to be taking it very seriously, saying not to travel unless absolutely neccessary.

I'm going from Macroom to city tomorrow for the night & just trying to ensure everything is tied down this evening. It's going to pack a punch for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Icon and gfs are both slight upgrades.
    There's a chance the southwest will go red later
    Certainly a high category orange for here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I have a young fella due to fly in to Cork around 9.30 tomorrow night. I guess that's not happening then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Dumb question but how come this storm is so dangerous when it doesn't have particularly low pressure at its centre? Obviously I see how tight the isobars are but isn't very low pressure the first thing you need for a big storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Arome coming into range and not too far off ICON, it has some very nasty gusts along Clare coast!

aromehd-11-31-0.png

aromehd-11-32-0.png

aromehd-11-33-0.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME coming into view. Limited zoom available for Ireland but showing widespread 130 km/h gusts for Kerry , higher on coast possible, only an amateur guess but has the look of a jet streak in the winds when they back to the NW ?

When the Winds back to the NW looks the strongest overland especially that area roughly in a line from Kilrush to Cork.

anim_hlm9.gif

8653_xwi2.png

4181_whp9.png

945_nlt9.png

4582_kez5.png

7222_sab0.png

aromehd-52-42-0_hqy7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

if 130km gusts are forecast widely we must be near a red warning, no? If so, that means employers might need to look at sending people home early, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

if 130km gusts are forecast widely we must be near a red warning, no? If so, that means employers might need to look at sending people home early, etc?

They will wait for overnight models before issuing a red i’d say. At least the schools won’t be open anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

anim_gub2.gif

5400_qjv4.png

Normally these storms get reduced in intensity closer the time. Hannah seems to be going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I have to travel from cork to Dublin tomorrow . Leaving at 11am and traveling back after 5 . Should I be cancelling my travel plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

CptMackey wrote: »
    I have to travel from cork to Dublin tomorrow . Leaving at 11am and traveling back after 5 . Should I be cancelling my travel plans?

Take the train. If the trains are not running you will know. ;)

Hope this storm is not as bad as Darwin which was brutal in the south west and across the country later.

CptMackey wrote: »

Yeah traveling back could be dodgy as you get into Tipperary/Cork on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heading to a stag from Galway to cork tomorrow afternoon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Hope this storm is not as bad as Darwin which was brutal in the south west and across the country later.

It’s has similarities to Darwin but will it be in reality less severe than the models are forecasting. We have seen it time and time again especially with regards named storms. Hopefully that trend continues.

It’s has similarities to Darwin but will it be in reality less severe than the models are forecasting. We have seen it time and time again especially with regards named storms. Hopefully that trend continues.

Yes it might not be as severe this time tomorrow but it seems to have intensified from what the models were showing this morning/yesterday.

• Advertisement

Nothing too dramatic about forecast after news. Sticking to orange warning wind levels with highest winds on the coast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hope you're right.

ECM looks the most severe of all tonight.
    Hard to analyse properly though because of it's 24 hour slots.
    Overall I think we have moved to something more severe tonight than what was on show this morning. Bearing in mind that this morning's charts swayed Met Eireann to orange I think a red is more likely than not. Also I expect larger areas to be covered by orange like Waterford as an example.
    If it does go red I'd say it will be limited to Kerry and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Overall I think we have moved to something more severe tonight than what was on show this morning. Bearing in mind that this morning's charts swayed Met Eireann to orange I think a red is more likely than not. Also I expect larger areas to be covered by orange like Waterford as an example.

If it were to go red for cork, what times do you predict it between? It seems to ramp up between 5-8pm & 10-12am.

You wouldn’t think it was going red by the 6 one forecast. The overnight runs will be interesting.

aisling86 wrote: »
    If it were to go red for cork, what times do you predict it between? It seems to ramp up between 5-8pm & 10-12am.
    I'd say 6pm to 6am as a general cover.
    The worst of the winds look like 9pm to midnight so quite a short potent storm

You wouldn’t think it was going red by the 6 one forecast. The overnight runs will be interesting.

Ya I didn't see it but they will have presented that on earlier models.
    A red isn't a cert just a risk of one
    For me the correct forecast would be to mention gusts up to red category but keep general warning to orange

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The weather forecast after the 6 news was mediocre. John Eagleton on the radio earlier sounded like he was wondering why was he being asked about the storm. I wonder are Met E in for a bit of a shock with Hannah and will we see swift upgrades tomorrow? And less of a blasé attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

I hope John Eagleton is correct in his prediction that the storm will not be in " the Premiership of Storms " ....if it arrives in a more severe form he will gave misled people .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wonder are businesses going to close early? It's going to hit at after work revelling time in the city. Pubs would be pressed to stay open.

Advertisement