Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MTB Overnight - Wicklow

• 17-09-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

If you had 2 days, one night, a bike and a tent where you go in Wicklow with a view to some quiet wild camping? Possibly near ish a town for supplies to avoid bringing too much stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Maybe the Wicklow Way? I did half of it a few years back - taking it handy enought you could cycle around 5-6 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭prunudo

steamsey wrote: »
    If you had 2 days, one night, a bike and a tent where you go in Wicklow with a view to some quiet wild camping? Possibly near ish a town for supplies to avoid bringing too much stuff.

I would say Roundwood or nearby. A lot of trail options within 5-10km radius

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

prunudo wrote:
    I would say Roundwood or nearby. A lot of trail options within 5-10km radius

Was thinking this myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just be aware that a few "normal" locations for wild camping in the area are somewhat closed off, due to the mess left by some "wild campers*". Certainly the Inchavore Valley is being actively policed.

*i.e. total dickheads who have left places like the aftermath of a festival, rather than normal people who use the mountains.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just be aware that a few "normal" locations for wild camping in the area are somewhat closed off, due to the mess left by some "wild campers*". Certainly the Inchavore Valley is being actively policed.

*i.e. total dickheads who have left places like the aftermath of a festival, rather than normal people who use the mountains.

Yes agree, we share this country with some complete scumbags who have no respect for nature or anyone else. Have come across the remains of many disserted camps this summer, rubbish strone everywhere, its a diagrace.
    Also the remains of campfires during drought periods, mindless idiots mistreating the great outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Coilte have a lot to answer for in their own way too. The walk from the military road down the inchavore valley to Johnny's oaks near lough dan was one of my favourites. Coilte decimated the place. Fair enough, they're planted to be felled, but they left loads of logs across the river blocking the walk.

Before:
    50358109127_72c183dc32_c.jpg

After:
    50357944881_e8e2e62af9_c.jpg

Wailin wrote:
    Coilte have a lot to answer for in their own way too. The walk from the military road down the inchavore valley to Johnny's oaks near lough dan was one of my favourites. Coilte decimated the place. Fair enough, they're planted to be felled, but they left loads of logs across the river blocking the walk.

Felling upsets me to, it just seems extremely destructive, extremely unnatural and just not good at all, we really need to change the laws surrounding it, forcing them to rectify these elements

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Felling upsets me to, it just seems extremely destructive, extremely unnatural and just not good at all, we really need to change the laws surrounding it, forcing them to rectify these elements

Its the clear fell that upsets me the most, large areas of hillsides just decimated leaving a scar on the landscape. I know its commercial forestry and it will be replanted but it's like a baron wasteland for 3-4 years until it takes off again.
    Apologises for taking it way off topic steamsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

prunudo wrote: »
    Its the clear fell that upsets me the most, large areas of hillsides just decimated leaving a scar on the landscape. I know its commercial forestry and it will be replanted but it's like a baron wasteland for 3-4 years until it takes off again.
    Apologises for taking it way off topic steamsy.

Aren't Coillte moving away from commercial forestry into tourism/recreation and native broadleaf planting? Hopefully less of the 'rape and plunder' method in the future.

cjt156 wrote: »
    Aren't Coillte moving away from commercial forestry into tourism/recreation and native broadleaf planting? Hopefully less of the 'rape and plunder' method in the future.

Marketing fluff for the forests around Ticknock, they'll still be up to their usual modus operandi in other woods.

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote:
    prunudo wrote:
    Marketing fluff for the forests around Ticknock, they'll still be up to their usual modus operandi in other woods.

I understand the need for their commercial activities, but they could be a little more respectful about it, I realise this would cost more money and time, but it would be a happier medium. I was on my locals mountains yesterday, walking through an area after felling, it's actually very upsetting to see, we need these areas, they are critical for our physical and mental well being, they are also critical for the existance of every other living thing on this planet. we cannot continue like this as a species, I think we re waiting for an older generation to die off, before we can truly crack on with finding this critical balance, and I'm sad to say, it can't come sooner!

In fairness to Coillte, they are a Commercial Semi State. It's a political decision if that remit is to change. Actually, probably more of public decision, to accept no return to the State.

In fairness to Coillte, they are a Commercial Semi State. It's a political decision if that remit is to change. Actually, probably more of public decision, to accept no return to the State.

this is one of the many problems by selling state assets to the market, we have to find a balance, we cannot continue like this

this is one of the many problems by selling state assets to the market, we have to find a balance, we cannot continue like this
    I'd rather they were converted to a non-commercial semi state with a purely recreational and tourism focus. But that needs proper and wider debate.

I'd rather they were converted to a non-commercial semi state with a purely recreational and tourism focus. But that needs proper and wider debate.

ideally, yes, but financially, very difficult to do, the state has limited methods of funding such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

The Dublin Mountain Makeover
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/the-dublin-mountains-makeover-ireland-s-largest-ever-forest-transformation-1.4286425

I ended up on the Wicklow Way as far as Laragh, really nice night away. Might do another overnight if this weather holds. Strapped 1 man tent, few other bits to the bike and and it worked pretty well. Steep climbs were a bit of a challenge with all that weight but was still able to have a bit of fun on descents. Met a few people who were walking the whole thing (132km) over 3/4 days - must do that something too. Badly need to buy a sleeping mat as the ground was HARD.

Came across one campsite full of empty cans.....beside a bloody firepit. Burn the fecking things if you're not going to remove them.

Saw similar in Ticknock a few weeks back - couple of scumbags camped there and they left everything behind. I don't understand the mentality.

The Dublin Mountain Makeover
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/the-dublin-mountains-makeover-ireland-s-largest-ever-forest-transformation-1.4286425

I ended up on the Wicklow Way as far as Laragh, really nice night away. Might do another overnight if this weather holds. Strapped 1 man tent, few other bits to the bike and and it worked pretty well. Steep climbs were a bit of a challenge with all that weight but was still able to have a bit of fun on descents. Met a few people who were walking the whole thing (132km) over 3/4 days - must do that something too. Badly need to buy a sleeping mat as the ground was HARD.

Came across one campsite full of empty cans.....beside a bloody firepit. Burn the fecking things if you're not going to remove them.

Saw similar in Ticknock a few weeks back - couple of scumbags camped there and they left everything behind. I don't understand the mentality.

just starting to get into long distance walking, a friend has been doing it all his life, has walked the whole country, and half the planet, his longest being 500 miles across the pyrenees, in five weeks, semi-supported, said the final week was hell

just starting to get into long distance walking, a friend has been doing it all his life, has walked the whole country, and half the planet, his longest being 500 miles across the pyrenees, in five weeks, semi-supported, said the final week was hell

Camino in northern Spain is great. I carried 6kg on my back - washed clothes every other day. There were regular enough food stops so you only had to carry snacks. You can stay in very cheap dormitories or camp - I'd do the camping next time as the snoring in the dormitories was unbelievable! But it was a great few weeks and I plan to do it or some variant of it again as soon as I can. Once I started walking, I really didn't want to stop.

Camino in northern Spain is great. I carried 6kg on my back - washed clothes every other day. There were regular enough food stops so you only had to carry snacks. You can stay in very cheap dormitories or camp - I'd do the camping next time as the snoring in the dormitories was unbelievable! But it was a great few weeks and I plan to do it or some variant of it again as soon as I can. Once I started walking, I really didn't want to stop.

yea i really should do it at some stage, it just sounds a little well walked nowadays, but im sure its still very enjoyable, id love to have the balls to do what my friend does, but hes been doing it for over 40 years now, and has it down to a tee. you re bike setup looks fantastic btw, ive walked a couple of the ways in the south of the country, only day trips, slowly building up to consecutive days, my friend has offered the use of his gear, tent etc, but im thinking of buying my own trekking tent, fairly cheap nowadays, light and well up for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

To pull this back on topic a little bit, if anybody has a strava/garmin/whatever route that they've done that would meet the op requirements, I'd also be interested to see it. I'm not at all familiar with the area, other than seeing the names pop up here, so a specific route would be great

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    To pull this back on topic a little bit, if anybody has a strava/garmin/whatever route that they've done that would meet the op requirements, I'd also be interested to see it. I'm not at all familiar with the area, other than seeing the names pop up here, so a specific route would be great

People might be reluctant to give away exact camping spots etc - but all I did was follow the WW - if you have a bit of time, you can easily find good camping spots - especially once you get past Ballinastoe area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Any problem with hillwalkers on the boardwalks steamsey? I'm sure most are polite and give you way?

Wailin wrote: »
    Any problem with hillwalkers on the boardwalks steamsey? I'm sure most are polite and give you way?

None at all actually. We are always very polite and give way as I believe walkers have priority there and in a lot of other places. In some cases last week the walkers gave way. Everyone just getting on with their day - no heroes.

I've only ever had 3 people having a go. One man at the Fairy Castle, Ticknock some years ago - he was technically right but a complete arse about it. Told me to walk my bike back down. Another lady at Kindlestown more recently who had a go and again, was technically right, but crossed a line when she more or less sicced her dog on me. Luckily for everyone, the dog didn't have the heart to break skin. And a lovely horse riding lady at Ticknock (on an official MTB trail) who scolded me for not addressing her horse - she said I had to say Hi to horses as bikes can scare them. Fair enough but animals that are easily scared might not belong on MTB tracks.

All of the other thousands of mountain users I've come across over the years have just gone about their business with no comments or unsolicited equine advice.

There's only two groups of mountain users I have a problem with - scrambler types - wrecking trails and the peace and quiet but to a far, far greater degree, camping scumbags who leave all their sh*t behind after a great night doing yolks in the forest.

You forgot one important group, the mountain bikers with their music pumping out through a speaker polluting the peace and quiet, whats that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

prunudo wrote: »
    You forgot one important group, the mountain bikers with their music pumping out through a speaker polluting the peace and quiet, whats that all about?

you get hikers doing that as well (usually kids, not the walking-poles and flasks-of-bovril types)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I ended up on the Wicklow Way as far as Laragh,

Could you do all of this on the mountain bike? Descent down from fairy castle behind tibradden, over Prince Williams, the bit above Powerscourt falls to Djouce? Or did you have to push / carry for a bit? I'm working my way through it on a gravel bike and could not do the above sections

Re the long distance walking routes, doubtless people know but there are tonnes of routes around Ireland, many with superb scenery, Kerry way springs to mind, Slieve Bloom way is also nice in parts. I often wonder how many Camino walkers we could recruit for warm ups here.

a148pro wrote: »
    Could you do all of this on the mountain bike? Descent down from fairy castle behind tibradden, over Prince Williams, the bit above Powerscourt falls to Djouce? Or did you have to push / carry for a bit? I'm working my way through it on a gravel bike and could not do the above sections

Re the long distance walking routes, doubtless people know but there are tonnes of routes around Ireland, many with superb scenery, Kerry way springs to mind, Slieve Bloom way is also nice in parts. I often wonder how many Camino walkers we could recruit for warm ups here.

Last time I did the Ticknock to Powerscourt section I remember a bit of lifting the bike. Nothing to do with your gravel bike - it's uncycle able in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Was pretty sure nothing wrong with the bike alright, the rider on it though I'm less sure, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Rode it S-N in a day a few years back on a hardtail, there are a fair few hike-a-bike sections alright. I can't remember now where we ran into the first one, but there were definitely some from Glenmalure on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Last time I did the Ticknock to Powerscourt section I remember a bit of lifting the bike. Nothing to do with your gravel bike - it's uncycle able in bits

Uncycleable for most mere mortals - there's plenty of people that would cycle all of it going that direction.

Advertisement